FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   "happy hour" food and drinks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1212568-happy-hour-food-drinks.html)

bob95409 May 5, 2011 1:30 pm

"happy hour" food and drinks

We will be in Paris for 9 days and another 10 days in Nice and Antibes. My question is do restaurants, bistros and etc have "Happy hours" as many of ours do here in the San Francisco Bay area.
With the downturn in the economy and cutbacks in business travel, many of our top rated restaurants have started the Happy hour discounts.
Thanks for the advice.
Bob

Yahillwe May 5, 2011 3:08 pm

I really don't believe so. At least not the ones that I frequent.

Alsacienne May 5, 2011 3:44 pm

Not in my experience and I've lived in France for 19 + years. Sorry!

b1513 May 5, 2011 4:44 pm

The Hilton at Evian had a happy Hour.

Bobette

stimpy May 6, 2011 2:01 am

I've seen some pubs here and there in France that have happy hours. It's a bit rare though. Nothing like the US.

Alsacienne May 6, 2011 8:22 am

'Happy Hour' is not a French concept! I would suspect that the happiness arose from buying 2 drinks for the price of one rather than getting free nosh!

TMOliver May 6, 2011 8:51 am

In France, the last "Happy Hour" occurred on the day before public executions by guillotine were moved indoors. The sans culottes protested, but a whiff of grape shot calmed their frennzied cries for cheap eau de vie and free crusts to sop in the blood of the aristos, Jacobins and those temporarily out of fave running in the gutters.

uk1 May 6, 2011 9:38 am

Do I detect a lack of francophilia?;)

Playboy May 6, 2011 1:18 pm

Strange, bc I've been reading a couple of blogs that have mentioned certain places in Paris that have a happy hour. Just type 'happy hour Paris' into Google & you'll get a nice list of websites.

Mynameismud May 6, 2011 3:48 pm

Of course some places (bar, pubs) are having Happy Hours, at least in Paris (Bercy Village, Rue Mouffetard, Butte aux Cailles...)
But it's not so common though.
In some places it can be something like, for the price of "demi" you get a "pinte"

So far i've never seen something like a Happy Hour in a restaurant.

Yahillwe May 7, 2011 6:33 am

Besides, here restaurants have really not been touched by the downturn of the economy. It is still hard to get spots in the good restaurants.

And in all my favorite bars, have never seen "happy hour" posted. Not the Forum or others.

aamilesslave May 7, 2011 7:28 am

I've never seen food specials for Happy Hour. But Prix Fixe menus are all over the place.

For drinks, some places may offer 5-6 EUR drinks from 18:00-20:00.

The best way to enjoy a cheap[er] bite or drink is to stand at the bar instead of sitting inside (service upcharge) or outside (even bigger service upcharge).

NickB May 7, 2011 8:37 am

Some 20 years ago, the idea of a 'happy hour' would have been totally unknown in France. However, in the last 10 years, they have started to appear, in Paris at any rate, especially in the more boisterous establishments with more of a 'youth' clientele. In addition to the districts mentioned by Mynameismud, the Bastille/Oberkampf area springs to mind. It is primarily a bar/drink-oriented phenomenon, though, than a food one.

TMOliver May 8, 2011 9:27 am

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 16338894)
Do I detect a lack of francophilia?;)

Not at all....

50+ years of international travel (and exposure to other 'Merkin travelers) have convinced me that an attitude perhaps once justifiable in the 50s/early 60s that "The world is OUR oyster!" still unfortunately exists today among many. The Hiltons and others did much to reinforce that mindset. I recall my first stay at the Istambul Hilton, 1963 or so, when upon entering my room, I was close to physically transported back to the "Good Old USA". I moved to the Pera Palas, good enough for James Bond (and my perception of myself at the time). That long ago tiny, little more than a closet, room at the Golden Boot in Siena? I was only sleeping there and it was cheap, affordable for a navy Ensign "on the beach". On my earnings projected spending for entertainment, a sponge bath and the terlet at the end of the hall far outshown any imitation Sheraton or others of that ilk.

"Happy Hour" is not a custom which has received universal acceptance. So be it. That old phrase "wine of the country" remains good advice. In Ireland, I drink Guinness and pity the poor souls, Erse and 'Merkin, who line up at the frigid Budweiser tap. I learned to like Black Pudding, and order "Fish Pie" at almost every opportunity, whilst there and in Europe avoid "US branded" hotel dining rooms like the plague. If there is a God and there must be, for Who else would stimulate the everyday breakfast offerings at small Irish country hotels, we should be thankful that some cultural artifacts have not fallen victim to 'Merkin customs.

pititom May 9, 2011 7:10 am

Originally Posted by bob95409 (Post 16334400)
My question is do restaurants, bistros and etc have "Happy hours" as many of ours do here in the San Francisco Bay area.

Not for food, with some exceptions (as always) like steakhouse chain restaurants which will discount 20% off your bill if you eat before their rush hour.

Most casual bars and pubs will offer happy hours on beers and sometimes cocktails in the 6 to 8 PM time range. Usually either half price or double quantity.

So don't expect much. But in my experience, a regular-priced meal in Paris is not more expensive than a comparable HH-priced meal in the Bay Area. And cheaper if you include the wine for both.