Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shopping for men's suits in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Shopping for men's suits in Paris?

Is Paris anyplace to be shopping for a suit for men? I know the adage is Italy for men's fashion and Paris for women's fashion. Since I have a trip to Paris scheduled, would it be wise to shop for a suit while in Paris? I'm looking at spending less than a $1k for a suit, so roughly 700 euros with the current exchange rate.

I'm a slim guy, 5'8" 135 lbs.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Well, you're the right size to be looking for clothes in France. At 6'0" and 160 lbs, I'm too tall and lanky for French clothes to fit me right. Parisian men are generally more toward your build.

As for where to shop, I wouldn't know - I have little need for suits. I would say you could start at Galeries Lafayette, Printemps, or BHV but I don't know if you'd find a better price/quality ratio elsewhere. Sorry.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
And the Bon Marche. I tend to buy my men Italian made suits, I think the fit is better.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Italy is the best place, but I bought an excellent Christian Lacroix suit at Galeries Lafayette once. It was on sale at a very good price, well under €1000. Keep in mind that anywhere you buy a good suit at, it will have to be tailored a bit, even if just hemming the pants. So make sure that you can come back a day or two later to pick it up.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 6:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Truly your best bet would be to take a train to Troyes - it is one great big Factory outlet. You will recoup the cost of the train in a heartbeat. It is not that long a journey - an hour max.

Other than that - take the Metro to Alesia and walk down the Rue d'Alesia as the shops there are all outlet as well.

The Galeries Lafayette and Au Printemps de l'Homme (formerly and far better Brummel) can be good in the sales but frankly have become ridiculously dear.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:47 am

Programs: DL GM
There is a shop in the Marais (actually, I think there are several of them) called Melchior. They sell beautiful clothes for guys with your build.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:54 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
For your build, I would suggest either traditional and elegant (Lanvin) or trendy and well cut (The Kooples).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.