FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   French Strike - When will it end?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1141276-french-strike-when-will-end.html)

abmad Oct 27, 2010 10:56 am

French Strike - When will it end??

Hi All,

I realize noone knows when the current round of French Strikes will really end, however as I'm interested in travel to Paris in earler 2011 I thought it would be good to have a central place to generally discuss any French strike that will impact tourist and speculate when the strikes will finally come to an end.

So FT what say you?

Abagail

chrissxb Oct 27, 2010 12:20 pm

just to make sure ... what strike are you talking about?
rail? fuel/gas-stations? teacher? waste disposal? air france?

abmad Oct 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi Chrissxb,

I editted my post to clarify.. any strikes impacting tourist/travellers.

Alsacienne Oct 28, 2010 6:16 am

Sadly there isn't an answer to your question. The current legal issue of the retirement age has now been passed by the Senate and the National Assembly. So in theory's that's been done and dusted. But that may not stop folk striking, especially if the more militant members of certain trades unions have anything do to with it.

And of course other grievances could arise in the meantime ....

Just plan sensibly avoiding tight connections if flying and take enough money to cope with a delay at an airport and as you always should do before leaving home, make sure you have taken out adequate travel insurance.

Speculation is always a sure-fire recipe for dissent and disappointment!

abmad Oct 28, 2010 9:57 am

Good info Alsacienne. Thanks for your input.

Abagail

Originally Posted by Alsacienne (Post 15029257)
Sadly there isn't an answer to your question. The current legal issue of the retirement age has now been passed by the Senate and the National Assembly. So in theory's that's been done and dusted. But that may not stop folk striking, especially if the more militant members of certain trades unions have anything do to with it.

Just plan sensibly avoiding tight connections if flying and take enough money to cope with a delay at an airport and as you always should do before leaving home, make sure you have taken out adequate travel insurance.

Speculation is always a sure-fire recipe for dissent and disappointment!

Mynameismud Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Avoid to travel on tuesdays and thursdays (sometime saturdays) , these are the usual days for strikes, demonstrations in the street, ATC delays...

elpi Oct 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Alsacienne (Post 15029257)

!

I think, it's not only retirement age only, but we have to wait to see how it play.

dingo Oct 28, 2010 2:06 pm

Um, shouldn't one side just surrender? Is this the longest that the French have fought for anything without doing so!?

Alsacienne Oct 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Well some of the refineries are reopening. I think it's the thin end of the wedge and everything will slowly get back to what we like to call 'normal service'!