Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Paris

Christmas in Paris

Old Oct 2, 10, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Christmas in Paris

Hi All,

Heading to Paris during Christmas. what can i expect?

Any Christmas Markets to recommend? Also, will the shops be open?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 3, 10, 3:19 pm

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer
Hello,

Christmas is among the best times in the year to visit Paris. Expect brightly decorated streets with lights everywhere, special-themed magnificent displays in the leading Department Stores ('Grands Magasins') and the smell of chestnuts roasting on every street corner... and massive crowds doing seasonal shopping in every possible store or market you visit

Most shops will be open seven days since there are some special authorizations to open on Sundays during peak shopping season (shops are normally open Monday to Saturday only, by law); most will be closed on the day of the 25th, except restaurants and cafes many of which will be open.

If you are not familiar with the weather in Paris, don't forget to pack scarf, gloves and warm jacket - Christmas time is usually chilly, sometimes snowy.
This link has some information about the top events in Paris around Christmas and this one is about Christmas markets; it is from last year but I don't expect much change from one year to the next.

There are also many, many more pages on the topics - just google.

Cheers,
J-
Old Oct 3, 10, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
There is a fairly large Christmas market in La Defense (terminus of the Metro Ligne 1). Be sure to get some hot spice wine there to keep you warm and happy.
Old Oct 3, 10, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

JudgeJ,

awesome.
Was just worried that nothing would be open.
Thanks much!

aamilesslave,

Thanks for the tip. any must-eat places that you'd recommend?!
Old Oct 3, 10, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by JudgeJ View Post

Most shops will be open seven days since there are some special authorizations to open on Sundays during peak shopping season (shops are normally open Monday to Saturday only, by law); most will be closed on the day of the 25th, except restaurants and cafes many of which will be open.

J-
I agree that the Christmas season is wonderful time to visit Paris (and that one should bring gloves, scraves, etc). But I've been in Paris for several Christmas days and I think finding an open restaurant or cafe where you can get a decent meal is a tall order. Upscale hotels will have (high priced) food, and there are a few "we never close" places down near Les Halles but I think the OP should plan ahead on how to spend Christmas day, and where to have dinner.
Old Oct 5, 10, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the tips.

yes. a concern that many places will be closed on christmas days and will be stuck having overprised dinner at the hotel.

Old Oct 14, 10, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
I agree that the Christmas season is wonderful time to visit Paris (and that one should bring gloves, scraves, etc). But I've been in Paris for several Christmas days and I think finding an open restaurant or cafe where you can get a decent meal is a tall order. Upscale hotels will have (high priced) food, and there are a few "we never close" places down near Les Halles but I think the OP should plan ahead on how to spend Christmas day, and where to have dinner.
And I'd add that if you're going to be there still on new year's eve and you want to dine somewhere even ordinarily good, you'd be well advised to book. The restaurants are open, but Paris and its tourists like to eat out on that evening!
Old Oct 20, 10, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
And I'd add that if you're going to be there still on new year's eve and you want to dine somewhere even ordinarily good, you'd be well advised to book. The restaurants are open, but Paris and its tourists like to eat out on that evening!
Yes, and also note that many restaurants will be serving a special menu on New Year's eve - likely a set menu at a higher price than you would normally pay and there will be live entertainment etc. If you don't want this, the best bet would be smaller neighborhood places, but even there I'd reserve a table.

Some restaurants will be closed during the entire period - last year when we were there Chez Georges (the one on Rue du Mail) was closed the entire week, much to our dismay.

New Year's day itself will also be very quiet, although some museums will be open, I think we went to the Branly, which was both open and quite crowded. Check websites before you start out.
Old Oct 28, 10, 8:04 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I've spent a couple of Christmases in Paris and, particularly in contrast with London, where everything shuts down, quite enjoyed it. As noted above, not so many restaurant choices--and many favorites do close for a week or so-- but otherwise the closures seem pretty much limited to the one day, as opposed to the more extended closures I've seen in even unexpected cities.
Old Oct 28, 10, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
All of the large department stores (Bon, Lafayette...) will be decked out with great window displays and huge trees inside. This is a great time to be in Paris in my opinion. It can get cold, but man it is a good cold to experience. Stop into the Bar Vendome at the Ritz for a tea or hot cocktail to thaw and then get out for more exploring!
Old Nov 29, 10, 3:09 pm

new blog on what to fo in Paris on Christmas and New Years Eve

Daily posts about restaurants with special menus for Christmas and New Year's Eve celebrations in Paris, museums, events, jazz concerts, places to stay, Christmas markets, Christmas masses, Church concerts, special Parisian gifts, ballets, opera, theatres, ect ect

hope you enjoy it!!

https://christmasinparis.wordpress.com/
Old Dec 3, 10, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by JudgeJ View Post
Hello,

this one is about Christmas markets; it is from last year but I don't expect much change from one year to the next.

J-
I went to three of the Christmas markets two years ago. I found the one at St. Germain des Prés small and underwhelming, and the one at Montparnasse wasn't much better. The one at La Defénse was quite good with lots of stalls offering food, wine, and shopping.
Old Dec 6, 10, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2 MM; IC Spire Amb;
NYE

I'll be in Paris for the holidays for my 11th straight year beginning with the Millennium NYE... a really fun place on NYE is Aux Trois Mailletz, 55 rue Galande, Paris 5th arr., (right across rue St. Jacques from the cathedral St. Severin). A bit pricy for dinner but lots of folks come as soon as the midnight hour passes and stay till dawn. A good show of singers, musicians and dancers on two levels, one upstairs and one downstairs in the cave cabaret. I'll be there again this year. Link is http://www.lestroismailletz.fr/ I might also be there on the 24th although I have a flight to Warsaw the next morning and will be out of Paris until the 29th...
Old Dec 9, 10, 9:01 pm

I am doing a MR and will be in Paris for one night only...Sunday December 26. Was this a bad decision?

Are a lot of things closed that day? Are any of the Christmas markets open?

Never been to Paris before. I'm guessing I can at least get a good meal somewhere and visit the Eiffel Tower.
Old Dec 10, 10, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2 MM; IC Spire Amb;
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss View Post
I am doing a MR and will be in Paris for one night only...Sunday December 26. Was this a bad decision?

Are a lot of things closed that day? Are any of the Christmas markets open?

Never been to Paris before. I'm guessing I can at least get a good meal somewhere and visit the Eiffel Tower.
I'd forget the eiffel tower run and get off the RER (train from CDG) at St. Michel-Notre Dame.. within 10 minutes is Notre Dame, the Seine, and the very heart of Paris... come up to the street and you will find a very alive Paris on the 26th... I assume you have a hotel, but if you don't send me a PM and I'll give you my choice..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: