FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   French country town that makes a virtue of November? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1114249-french-country-town-makes-virtue-november.html)

Helena Handbaskets Aug 8, 2010 8:15 pm

French country town that makes a virtue of November?

I'm considering a 4 day stay with my wife in France in the first week in November. I'd prefer a better time of year, but this is what's available to me right now.

I can find plenty of places where we can adjust and tolerate the cool/cold/gray/rain, but I'm wondering if there isn't someplace that doesn't apologize for November, but actually offers a pleasant experience because of the weather/time of year. Somewhere geared toward a cozy hot chocolate by the fireplace perhaps (I've thought of ski towns, but without snow, I'm not sure the atmosphere is right - and many French ski resorts seem to be cozy-free zones anyway). Or maybe some November cultural event that would serve as a centerpiece to the experience. Or... what? I don't know.

Is there anywhere in France of which you might say, if not "November's the time to visit," then at least "November offers a special appeal..." ?

Not Paris, by the way. Not that we're not considering yet another visit to Paris, but I'm already aware that Paris is one of the places that best retains its appeal even in poor weather.

slawecki Aug 9, 2010 6:25 am

we like november as it is the start of game season. therefore, restaurant quality is a foremost thought. from lyon down and to the west is nice. only problem is if the minstral is blowing. all of Côte d'Azur is nice, if open.

we also enjoyed Alsace in winter. there are ski resorts, and fire places, and very good food. not that much snow. very short days.

menton1 Aug 9, 2010 9:47 am

One of the nice things about November is that it is truffle season! I many areas you can go out with the truffle hunter and his dog for a fee, and have a first hand experience!

Provence has many "rabassiers" who allow people to accompany them on their "hunts". Also, the weather in Provence is fairly moderate in November, you shouldn't have any severely cold or nasty days that one might find in Northern France.

Here's just one link to a place that arranges these accompagniments:

http://www.maisonluberon.com/truffles.htm

Helena Handbaskets Aug 9, 2010 11:23 am

I didn't reallize truffle season started so early. Will there be truffle hunting (and more importantly, fresh truffles in the restaurants) as early as the first week in November, or does the season not get started until later in the month?

travelsavant Aug 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Lovely vibrant village with quite the history; great area: St Remy de Provence http://www.beyond.fr/villages/st-rem...ce-france.html
with a lovely chateau hotel http://www.chateaudesalpilles.com/

stimpy Aug 14, 2010 9:57 am

Early Novmeber we have Armistice day here, so watch out for that weekend. Late November we might be skiing in the Jura and Haute-Savoie. In the Jura you can sit by the fire and sip the fine and unique Vin Jaune with some wonderful cheese. On the Swiss side of the Jura they have the Fete de St. Martin or Fete du Cochon in November.

menton1 Aug 15, 2010 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 14448816)
I didn't reallize truffle season started so early. Will there be truffle hunting (and more importantly, fresh truffles in the restaurants) as early as the first week in November, or does the season not get started until later in the month?

Yes, it starts in November. The link I posted above is to one of the places that can arrange for you to accompany the "hunt". It's in Provence.

BTW, even in November, if you stay in the South or on the Riviera, the weather can be delightful. The rain/cold has not set in there yet. The Northern part of France can be chilly at any time of year!

nicolas75 Aug 22, 2010 6:13 am

What about Corsica?

slawecki Aug 22, 2010 6:49 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 14524640)
What about Corsica?

Tough on a 4 day.

nicolas75 Aug 22, 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 14524732)
Tough on a 4 day.

It's only 1 hour and half from ORY, and the weather might still be nice in November.
Great food, superb landscapes, very peaceful

Sofitel Porticcio can be a nice retreat to visit (part of) the region, with a car

stimpy Aug 22, 2010 9:38 am

No, the weather usually turns on Nov 1st. It did exactly that a year or two ago when we were there. Right up to Oct 31st it was beautiful in Corsica, but the winter storms arrived on Nov 1st. Also, most everything closes for the winter around that time.

SanDiego1K Aug 22, 2010 12:05 pm

This is not quite what you asked, but I think the Loire Valley is great off season. It's easily accessible from Paris, and it is not heaving with tourists as it is in season. It's easy to book a room, easy to tour whatever of the grand chalets you'd like to visit, and easy to get into good restaurants.

nicolas75 Aug 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 14525950)
grand chalets

I presume you mean châteaux

SanDiego1K Aug 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 14527025)
I presume you mean châteaux

Yes, thanks.

dbuckho Aug 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Annecy, "The Venice of the Alps" - at least that is what their tourist department says!

5-7 November 2010

In Sevrier, 4.5km south of Annecy along the lake, the annual Annecy Wine & Food Festival is a place to free your inner epicurean. Almost 100 exhibitors offer tastings of Bacchus' finest wines and lip-smacking regional produce.

Annecy Wine & Food Festival