FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Recommend charming Paris neighborhood hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1108658-recommend-charming-paris-neighborhood-hotel.html)

Helena Handbaskets Jul 23, 10 10:47 am

Recommend charming Paris neighborhood hotel

I have a weekend in Paris in September on a business trip. Since the company's paying, I think I have a budget up to around 200 euro/night or so (a bit more if necessary). In the past I've used occasions like this to pad my Starwood stay count (at the LeMeridien Etoile). But this time I will already have requalified for SPG Platinum, and unless SPG has a really compelling promotion going on that would tempt me back to either or both Paris LeMeridiens, I'm in the mood for something a bit less institutional.

It's occurred to me that it might be nice to try to find a place in which I could briefly imagine that I'm a resident rather than a tourist. If I were staying longer, I'd seek an apartment - maybe a studio on the Isle St. Louis with a river view. But with only a couple of nights, that's not an option. So I'm lookin for a hotel that:

1) ...is in or convenient to an attractive Paris neighborhood - not the type out near the Peripherique where it's all 1970s highrises, and on the other end it needn't be right up against the major touris attractions. I'm looking for a place where the environment immediately outside the front door (and ideally visible from the room) includes a tree-lined street, a square or park where I can sit to watch life go by. A nearby cafe with tables on the street. A nearby grocery and/or bakery and/or chocolate shop would be nice. A neighborhood where I could have a nice charming low-key experience without even considering the tourist sites. A few places I've experienced that are like this are the 7th arr. to the east of the Champs de Mars, the square in front of St. Sulpice, some parts of St. Germain des Pres, the Isle St. Louis. The Champs Elysees area and just to the north strikes me as too sterile, and much of the Marais that I've experienced seems too cramped and busy, although the Place des Vosges is an exception.

2) ...is near a metro stop. I know that in central Paris you're never more than 800 meters from a metro stop, but the closer the better, and it's even better if there's a choice of lines nearby.

3) ...offers some charm and comfort in the hotel and in the room itself. I'm not looking for an efficient but institutional 4 star business hotel, and I'm not looking for a spartan, inexpensive 3 star, either, but either a 3 or 4 star hotel that offers some charm and luxury. In just an initial bit of looking, the Hotel de Lutece on the Isle St. Louis seems to offer sufficient charm and comfort, while the other hotel on the Isle, the Hotel St. Louis en L'isle seems a bit spartan from the photos.

4) ...is within my budget of maybe 200 to 250 euro/night for a single occupant.

5) Walking distance to a Bib Gourmand restaurant or similar would be a bonus.

I do know a few places to look for a place like this, but any personal observations or recommendations would certainly be welcomed.

Tennisbum Jul 23, 10 7:25 pm

Here's a favorite of mine (although I admit not of Mr. Tb's who finds the rooms too small):
Hotel des Deux Iles

It's located on the Ile St. Louis, just behind the Cathedral de Notre Dame. The hotel is quite comfortable (despite the small rooms), the neighborhood is charming, and it is quite convenient for both the right and left banks.

I probably shouldn't mention this, as you're travelling solo, but it's also very romantic, walking back from the left bank at night, across the bridge, with the view of the Cathedral...;)

Mmm, sorry, didn't read your full post. This may not be luxurious enough for you, but I do agree that the Ile St. Louis is THE place, when you're on your own (or looking for a romantic setting).

b1513 Jul 23, 10 8:05 pm

I like Hotel Le Regent. It is in a perfect location on the left bank with subway and many buses within a block and a half. St. Sulpice is about a 7 minute walk with Luxembourg being maybe a 9 minute walk. Two short blocks to the Seine and Ile de la Cite.

The rooms are pretty much as pictured. There's a pedestrian street just about outside the hotel's front door with a great street market.

You mentioned St. Sulpice. Check out Hotel Recamier. It's tucked away to the side of St. Sulpice in a secluded area because of the trees. I have not stayed there. My friend stays there every time she goes and likes it.

Bobette

rockrich Jul 24, 10 1:15 pm

We have enjoyed hotel Des Saints Peres many times. Good location in the 6th, right on your price point.

stimpy Jul 24, 10 4:08 pm

I can highly recommend http://www.les-jardins-du-luxembourg.com/ for a charming hotel in a fun neighborhood, near the Gardens.

SanDiego1K Jul 24, 10 5:56 pm

I like the Jeu de Paume on the Ile St Louis.

Helena Handbaskets Jul 27, 10 11:09 am

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Now I have to undergo the suspense of waiting to see if there are still rooms availble at my top choices after SPG announces their promotion (if any) covering September...

As I've conducted my search, it has dawned on me that what I really am looking for is a cozy country inn in a smallish, quaint French town, and with a really great dining room (and chef to match!) where they open the french doors to the outside and let the sunset stream in on warm evenings - but of course I want to find this in Paris. :rolleyes: Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

As I have had more occasions to visit France, I've begun to be torn between whether to spend more time in Paris or focus more on the countryside. I think I may have just reached my tipping point toward the smaller country towns, even though that's impractical for this September.

In searching for a hotel this September, it has surprised me a little to find quite a few pockets in Paris where there are essentially no hotels. I had initially figured on could find a hotel on just about every block. I'm not sure why I thought that, but it turns out not to be the case. Most surprising, and disappointing to me is that there seem to be no hotels fronting the Canal St. Martin, despite having read about the desirability of living in that area.

stimpy Jul 27, 10 11:33 am

Well Helena, the answer is simple. Buy a TGV ticket and get the heck out of Paris. This is one of the finest restaurant/hotel combinations you will ever find. http://www.lameloise.fr/

But there are a lot of others, especially if you look at http://www.relaischateaux.com/spip.p...e=home&lang=en

bseller Jul 27, 10 11:43 am

Originally Posted by b1513 (Post 14355371)
I like Hotel Le Regent. It is in a perfect location on the left bank with subway and many buses within a block and a half. St. Sulpice is about a 7 minute walk with Luxembourg being maybe a 9 minute walk. Two short blocks to the Seine and Ile de la Cite.

The rooms are pretty much as pictured. There's a pedestrian street just about outside the hotel's front door with a great street market.

^ +1. I've been staying at Le Regent since long, long before their renovation. I think my first stay there was in the late 70s. :eek:

For your budget, you would do very well with a Superior Deluxe room and the staff has always been very welcoming.
No matter where you choose, it sounds like a great couple of days in a great city! Enjoy!

Dave

b1513 Jul 27, 10 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 14373995)
Thank you all for the great suggestions. Now I have to undergo the suspense of waiting to see if there are still rooms availble at my top choices after SPG announces their promotion (if any) covering September...

As I've conducted my search, it has dawned on me that what I really am looking for is a cozy country inn in a smallish, quaint French town, and with a really great dining room (and chef to match!) where they open the french doors to the outside and let the sunset stream in on warm evenings - but of course I want to find this in Paris. :rolleyes: Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

As I have had more occasions to visit France, I've begun to be torn between whether to spend more time in Paris or focus more on the countryside. I think I may have just reached my tipping point toward the smaller country towns, even though that's impractical for this September.

In searching for a hotel this September, it has surprised me a little to find quite a few pockets in Paris where there are essentially no hotels. I had initially figured on could find a hotel on just about every block. I'm not sure why I thought that, but it turns out not to be the case. Most surprising, and disappointing to me is that there seem to be no hotels fronting the Canal St. Martin, despite having read about the desirability of living in that area.

Well, HH, you could always do mattress runs. Of course there would be no points involved. The bonus is that you get to try many different areas and places. I'm half-way joking :).

Bobette

travelsavant Aug 11, 10 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 14352626)
I have a weekend in Paris in September on a business trip. Since the company's paying, I think I have a budget up to around 200 euro/night or so (a bit more if necessary). In the past I've used occasions like this to pad my Starwood stay count (at the LeMeridien Etoile). But this time I will already have requalified for SPG Platinum, and unless SPG has a really compelling promotion going on that would tempt me back to either or both Paris LeMeridiens, I'm in the mood for something a bit less institutional.

It's occurred to me that it might be nice to try to find a place in which I could briefly imagine that I'm a resident rather than a tourist. If I were staying longer, I'd seek an apartment - maybe a studio on the Isle St. Louis with a river view. But with only a couple of nights, that's not an option. So I'm lookin for a hotel that:

1) ...is in or convenient to an attractive Paris neighborhood - not the type out near the Peripherique where it's all 1970s highrises, and on the other end it needn't be right up against the major touris attractions. I'm looking for a place where the environment immediately outside the front door (and ideally visible from the room) includes a tree-lined street, a square or park where I can sit to watch life go by. A nearby cafe with tables on the street. A nearby grocery and/or bakery and/or chocolate shop would be nice. A neighborhood where I could have a nice charming low-key experience without even considering the tourist sites. A few places I've experienced that are like this are the 7th arr. to the east of the Champs de Mars, the square in front of St. Sulpice, some parts of St. Germain des Pres, the Isle St. Louis. The Champs Elysees area and just to the north strikes me as too sterile, and much of the Marais that I've experienced seems too cramped and busy, although the Place des Vosges is an exception.

2) ...is near a metro stop. I know that in central Paris you're never more than 800 meters from a metro stop, but the closer the better, and it's even better if there's a choice of lines nearby.

3) ...offers some charm and comfort in the hotel and in the room itself. I'm not looking for an efficient but institutional 4 star business hotel, and I'm not looking for a spartan, inexpensive 3 star, either, but either a 3 or 4 star hotel that offers some charm and luxury. In just an initial bit of looking, the Hotel de Lutece on the Isle St. Louis seems to offer sufficient charm and comfort, while the other hotel on the Isle, the Hotel St. Louis en L'isle seems a bit spartan from the photos.

4) ...is within my budget of maybe 200 to 250 euro/night for a single occupant.

5) Walking distance to a Bib Gourmand restaurant or similar would be a bonus.

I do know a few places to look for a place like this, but any personal observations or recommendations would certainly be welcomed.

Not sure if you have already settled on a hotel yet, but I love Rue Jacob in the 6th, wonderful street/area & it has some lovely hotels, starting with http://www.l-hotel.com

arbb Aug 12, 10 2:55 pm

Highly recommend you check Hotel Luxembourg Parc. Fits the description of what you're looking for perfectly. It fully deserves its #3 or #4 rating in Trip Advisor.

menton1 Aug 12, 10 3:04 pm

Pavillon de la Reine on the Place des Vosges (4th) came to mind from your criteria, but it's over your budget. Paris hotels have much smaller rooms than you are probably used to, unless you stay in the charm-less American-style types on the outskirts of town.

And don't worry about food, just about anywhere you stay in Paris will have loads of great restaurants within a few blocks!

A lower priced choice in the same area is the Hotel Bretonnerie. The 4th Arr is probably the quartier that best meets your requirements, and certainly is the hippest area in Paris these days!

stimpy Aug 13, 10 1:30 am

The 4th is hip? I've never heard that before.

menton1 Aug 13, 10 10:12 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 14473436)
The 4th is hip? I've never heard that before.

You're joking,right?