Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend trip from Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Weekend trip from Paris

I am looking for an idea for a weekend trip from Paris.

I am not a big fun of cities and prefer nature/outdoors sightseeing.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:04 am

The Loire Valley or Normandy is a good weekend trip.

There is a cycle tour through the Loire beginning in Tours.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:38 pm

For a same day return, you could consider going to Fontainebleau forest and enjoy some nice walks/trails either walking or biking, it will take approx 35-40 minutes by train from Paris.

If you want to spend the whole week end out of Paris, you could take TGV to many different places like Lyon/Annecy/Bourg St Maurice (then enjoy the Alpes), Bordeaux (visiting Bassin d'Arcachon and wineyards) , Strasbourg, Marseille, Nice...or even closer places using regular/local trains.

My favorite option would be flying to Corsica (also need to rent a car) and enjoy both mountains and beaches as well as great local food.

Renting a car could also be an option, although driving out/to Paris could turn to a nightmare especially on busy week ends during summer.

Last edited by Mynameismud; Jun 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I am also seeking a weekend sidetrip from Paris. I will be by myself, need to use public transportation, and can't leave until noon on Saturday with a return Sunday p.m or Monday a.m. to CDG. Originally I thought about Dijon or Lyon, but am wondering if it's worth the time & train expense since I understand most things are closed on Sundays (although this may be true of most places in France). What about: Rouen (Giverny), Riems, or Chartres (I love stained glass)?

I will research Fountainebleau. Oh, and this will be in mid-August.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Mynameismud
For a same day return, you could consider going to Fontainebleau forest and enjoy some nice walks/trails either walking or biking, it will take approx 35-40 minutes by train from Paris.....
Great! See also nearby Barbizon:

http://www.barbizon.fr/

"...The Barbizon school (circa 1830–1870) of painters is named after the village of Barbizon near Fontainebleau Forest, France, where the artists gathered.

The Barbizon painters were part of a movement towards realism in art which arose in the context of the dominant Romantic Movement of the time.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbizon_school
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: LH, Qantas
Originally Posted by Steph58
I am also seeking a weekend sidetrip from Paris. I will be by myself, need to use public transportation, and can't leave until noon on Saturday with a return Sunday p.m or Monday a.m. to CDG. Originally I thought about Dijon or Lyon, but am wondering if it's worth the time & train expense since I understand most things are closed on Sundays (although this may be true of most places in France). What about: Rouen (Giverny), Riems, or Chartres (I love stained glass)?
All three places are just great. If I were to choose only it would be Chartres. But keep in mind that the Cathedral is undergoing restauration works, and will be for some years more. However it is worth it.

Reims is only an hour away with TGV-Est. Nice city as well. As a curiosity, and if you are into WWII, there is a small but very informative museum.

Rouen's cathedral is, in my opinion, the best of the three (second being Chartres). The problem with Giverny is that you may find incredibly long queues, depending on the day of the week
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
The Loire Valley or Normandy is a good weekend trip.

There is a cycle tour through the Loire beginning in Tours.
If you can get a reservation, a *great* weekend stay would be Hotel la Roseraie in Chenonceaux. Reserve a place for dinner at their restaurant when you book. What a treat--the place, the proprietors, and the food!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:47 am

week end trip from Paris

If you like nature, then get on the train and go the Lac du Der in Champagne. It is a beautiful lake, with wild nature all around, huge, and a unique bird watching spot in Europe.
You could also go to Giverny, this is a blog post I read some time ago that made me want to go there: http://www.nyhabitat.com/blog/2009/1...onets-giverny/, and there is nice nature all around, too.
Normandy is another great idea, especially the coastline.
Sologne is also another easy reach from Paris with plenty of nature, beautiful forests and wildlife. A good base in Sologne is Romorantin.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:08 am

weekend trip from Paris - Lac du Der

I found this website about the Lac du Der. Honestly, it is really worth discovering and you'll be in champagne... cheers!
http://www.lacduder.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.