Wiki Posts
Search

The Luberon and Cotes du Rhone

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
The Luberon and Cotes du Rhone

I am going to be traveling from Paris to Avignon in October. We will have a car once we get to Avignon and I was thinking of driving through the Cotes du Rhone and the Luberon. We have three days, after which we will be flying out of Nice. Any suggestions on places to stay/travel to in Provence? I am mostly looking for a good route for a quick and hopefully relaxing few days in the smaller towns of the area. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Narr
Old May 28, 2010, 12:24 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
matteq welcome to FlyerTalk.

I hear that Aix-en-Provence is a beautiful place. I'm planning on stopping there for a couple of nights when driving from Nice to Avignon in July.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Ditto on the welcome, matteq.

I'm more familiar with points a little north of the Luberon in Provence, but we did enjoy very much L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, which is a lovely town with a lively market on Sundays. There are a couple of threads here that have some good information, and that you should be able to find by searching. Here's one of them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...-provence.html

Sorry I don't know much about accommodations in the area. Enjoy yourself- October is a lovely time to be there!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1P
Just got back early this week from a 10-day visit to Provence. We actually stayed in both Avignon and Aix-en-Provence, and did a long day-trip through the Luberon, visiting the towns of Menerbes, Lourmarin, Bonnieux and Cucuron, all of which were really beautiful. I'd recommend any of them if you want to stay in a small village. The wineries around there were fabulous.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:27 am
In memoriam

One: reserve your hotel in advance. Otherwise, in July, you may be very unhappy.

Two: Aix is a wonderful place but VERY hard to park in and to drive in. Walk, don't drive--and, if you don't read French, park in one of the (pricey) lots to avoid being tripped up by the various obscure parking reqs.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:53 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
biggestbopper thanks for the tips for Aix in July. We booked a hotel this week, and in the end decided to stay in a Novotel by the motorway, with parking to avoid problems of driving and parking in the centre.

In fact, we have changed our plans for Avignon because the hotels we were looking at were already booked up, so we are staying in Orange for a night instead.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by matteq
I am going to be traveling from Paris to Avignon in October. We will have a car once we get to Avignon and I was thinking of driving through the Cotes du Rhone and the Luberon. We have three days, after which we will be flying out of Nice. Any suggestions on places to stay/travel to in Provence? I am mostly looking for a good route for a quick and hopefully relaxing few days in the smaller towns of the area. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Narr
Matteq, If you are looking for small towns head to the Luberon. Aix is a nice place, but not a Village. After you've seen what you must see in Avignon , head out of town. Head for St. Remy de Provence, Gordes, Roussillon, est.
then when you head for Nice perhaps stop in St Paul de Vence. You can't see everything in three days, so try to see the small side of Provence.

Try to hit some towns on market day.

I assume anyone going to the Luberon has read Peter Mayle. I also find Rick Steves book on Provence helpful.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by flyingbee
biggestbopper thanks for the tips for Aix in July. We booked a hotel this week, and in the end decided to stay in a Novotel by the motorway, with parking to avoid problems of driving and parking in the centre.

In fact, we have changed our plans for Avignon because the hotels we were looking at were already booked up, so we are staying in Orange for a night instead.

check out the Roman theater in Orange - very intact and very interesting . . .
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:41 am

Luberon

Luberon is a beautiful area --- options are Lourmarin, Opède le Vieux, Viens, Fontaine de Vaucluse and above all Rustrel and the ochre quarries, Roussillon, Gordes, Saignon, Lauris, many of which are in the list of the 'most beautiful villages of France'. Enjoy one of the most beautiful areas of Provence!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.