4 hour layover in CDG

Old May 15, 10, 12:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 101
4 hour layover in CDG

Any suggestions on a good brunch (or creative ways to waste 4 hours)?
pulseeric is offline  
Old May 15, 10, 3:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Europe
Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Posts: 2,669
Originally Posted by pulseeric View Post
Any suggestions on a good brunch (or creative ways to waste 4 hours)?

Go to the Sheraton hotel at the airport. It's by far the finest dining venue there.
Braniff is offline  
Old May 15, 10, 5:36 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 101
Thx Braniff, I'm assuming that 4 hours is not enough time to leave the airport?
pulseeric is offline  
Old May 16, 10, 3:47 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Europe
Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Posts: 2,669
Originally Posted by pulseeric View Post
Thx Braniff, I'm assuming that 4 hours is not enough time to leave the airport?
4 hours should be plenty of time. The hotel is located in the Terminal 2 "complex" --- this is the Air France terminal although some others are there as well. Which airline are you on and where are you coming from/going to ? They have a shuttle bus which you call and they pick you up.
Braniff is offline  
Old May 16, 10, 8:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,677
Originally Posted by pulseeric View Post
Thx Braniff, I'm assuming that 4 hours is not enough time to leave the airport?
Originally Posted by Braniff View Post
4 hours should be plenty of time. The hotel is located in the Terminal 2 "complex" --- this is the Air France terminal although some others are there as well. Which airline are you on and where are you coming from/going to ? They have a shuttle bus which you call and they pick you up.

Depending on what you call" leave the airport", 4 hours is not enough time to go to downtown Paris IMO.
bodory is offline  
Old May 16, 10, 11:34 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Europe
Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Posts: 2,669
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
Depending on what you call" leave the airport", 4 hours is not enough time to go to downtown Paris IMO.
CDG Terminal 2 is not located in downtown Paris.
Braniff is offline  
Old May 18, 10, 10:09 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 101
I will be arriving via Air France. I am coming from Houston (IAH) and will be catching another air france flight to Vienna 4 hours later.

Just looking to try to have an authentic frenchy brunch experience with the girlfriend Does not necessarily have to be in downtown. Is 4 hours enough? Thanks everyone!
pulseeric is offline  
Old May 19, 10, 3:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,677
Yes, 4 hours is enough. And as suggested, the Sheraton will be perfect. Enjoy your brunch and your trip!
bodory is offline  
Old May 20, 10, 9:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,863
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=125
keisari is offline  
Old May 21, 10, 8:06 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 22,081
If the two of you have never been to Paris, your plane arrives early or is at least on time, and you make it through immigration and customs without too much delay, I'd say it's worth going into the city. The RER B train station is under the Sheraton. Fast, runs frequently, not expensive. Get off at the St.-Michel - Notre-Dame stop, walk around, have petit-déjeuner (croissant and French bread with butter and jam, coffee - more authentically French than brunch) at any sidewalk café, take the train back. Nothing against the CDG Sheraton, I've stayed there, it has a unique "ocean liner" architecture with the elevators in its "funnels" and a sea foam green color scheme, but Paris is Paris. An airport hotel ain't Paris.
Efrem is offline  
Old May 22, 10, 10:42 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,268
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
If the two of you have never been to Paris, your plane arrives early or is at least on time, and you make it through immigration and customs without too much delay, I'd say it's worth going into the city. The RER B train station is under the Sheraton. Fast, runs frequently, not expensive. Get off at the St.-Michel - Notre-Dame stop, walk around, have petit-déjeuner (croissant and French bread with butter and jam, coffee - more authentically French than brunch) at any sidewalk café, take the train back. Nothing against the CDG Sheraton, I've stayed there, it has a unique "ocean liner" architecture with the elevators in its "funnels" and a sea foam green color scheme, but Paris is Paris. An airport hotel ain't Paris.
there's also an opportunity to glimpse Notre Dame Cathedral from the RER stop. There's several sidewalk cafes really close to the RER station, easily walked to even with bags.
benzguy80 is offline  
Old May 23, 10, 2:01 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 101
How long is the train ride from Sheraton to Notre-Dame?

Thanks everyone for the great info, I am really excited!!!
pulseeric is offline  
Old May 23, 10, 5:38 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,268
Originally Posted by pulseeric View Post
How long is the train ride from Sheraton to Notre-Dame?

Thanks everyone for the great info, I am really excited!!!
it's about 40 minutes, perhaps less if you catch the express train.

the station (fr: Gare) for RER and TGV is located between halls 2C and 2E. this is quite easily walked but there is a shuttle bus circling terminal 2 (landside) as well.

you'll want to be careful with the timing and also keep a close eye on your belongings to avoid being a victim of a "grab and dash" theft. the trains run often in the morning, though.

bon voyage,
benzguy80
benzguy80 is offline  
Old May 23, 10, 9:44 am
  #14  
iff
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,335
Originally Posted by benzguy80 View Post
it's about 40 minutes, perhaps less if you catch the express train.
Per the RATP site, 46 minutes for the regular train and a whopping 4 minutes less for the express.

(That, of course, is assuming there are no strikes, no people jumping on the tracks, no mechanical incidents...)

The trains generally run about 8 minutes apart.

Don't forget you'll need time to buy tickets... if there's a line, it could take a while.

With that kind of timing, you won't have an "authentic Frenchy brunch experience" (the French don't really do brunch, anyway, except for a few spendy ones in some of the nicer hotels) but you might have a few minutes to gulp down some coffee and a croissant.
iff is offline  
Old May 27, 10, 5:22 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Posts: 17,699
"authentic frenchy brunch experience"
SFOTerry is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread