Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Vendome or Hyatt Regency Madeliene for sightseeing?

Park Hyatt Vendome or Hyatt Regency Madeliene for sightseeing?

Old May 13, 10, 6:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 56
Park Hyatt Vendome or Hyatt Regency Madeliene for sightseeing?

We will only have a couple of days in Paris and want to maximize our time in the city. We are currently booked for a couple nights at the Hyatt Charles De Gaulle and they have a twice daily shuttle into the city. I chose this hotel becuase of its proximity to the airport and the free airport shuttle. We got a great bed-n-breakfast rate of €165 but can also use points.

However, we are now considering using Hyatt points for an award stay at either the Vendome or Madeliene. We want to see to see the typical highlights - The Louvre, the Seine River cruise, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, etc. Any recommendations?
Travel_Queen is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 6:29 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SXB/MLH
Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 15,755
just to get it right, you're seeking info about the Hyatt Hotels in Paris, then I should probably move this thread into the Hyatt forum, or are you into sightseeing, then you should make this clear in your post let us know what exactly you're looking for and let me know if you need further assistance.

regards,

chrissxb
co-moderator
france forum
chrissxb is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 6:35 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Posts: 9,735
They are practically next to one another. And the Park is a much nicer hotel. That's it.
stevenshev is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 6:57 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
They are practically next to one another. And the Park is a much nicer hotel. That's it.
Thank you for the quick response. This is what I needed.....I was looking to see the proximity to the attractions from one hotel or the other. The commute to/from Roissy twice a day would be a pain but I like the idea that breakfast is included since meals can be pricey. Is it worth it to stay in the city vs. out at Roissy? The hotel has a shuttle for €10 roundtrip at 10 AM and 6 PM. I like this idea but wonder how much time we would lose by doing this.

On the last night there, we want to be close to the airport so we can catch the shuttle back to CDG.

Last edited by Travel_Queen; May 13, 10 at 7:24 pm
Travel_Queen is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 10:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,863
I would NOT stay at the airport; it may take 1 to 1.5 hours in the morning and returning at 6 pm to the hotel does not make sense.
Absolutely stay in the city; Place Vendome is the place to be; it is very close to most things you will want to see. Bring extra cash to do some shopping around the Place Vendome.
keisari is offline  
Old May 14, 10, 12:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Posts: 3,210
I stayed at both last week. The Madeleine is a smaller boutique hotel with EXCELLENT service. Much more personal and friendly than Vendome.

Vendome is huge, very nice but has a really different feel.

My choice would definitely be M now that I have experienced both. They are a 10 minute walk apart and both are close to lots of sights.
I wouldn't stay at the ap b/c of breakfast. If you eat at the hotel breakfast is outrageously expensive but a MUCH better thing to do is go out and walk until your nose leads you to a boloungerie and buy a croissant warm from the oven, cup of coffee if you wish.
Paris is a wonderful walking city and it stays light until almost 9 - if you take a shuttle to ap at 6 you'll miss sooo much.
If you still decide to stay at the ap you can take the RER from city to CDG for 8.5 e
estnet is offline  
Old May 14, 10, 12:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 3,660
The two hotels in the city are a toss-up as to location. Most reports on both are very positive.

The hotels at the airport are a wasteland for anything other than flying-it's a long commute to and from the city, and during those long trips, you'll be thinking of all the great things you could be seeing in Paris instead of wasting time in a bus, train or taxi.
Mountain Trader is offline  
Old May 14, 10, 8:48 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
Posts: 4,326
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
The two hotels in the city are a toss-up as to location. Most reports on both are very positive.

The hotels at the airport are a wasteland for anything other than flying-it's a long commute to and from the city, and during those long trips, you'll be thinking of all the great things you could be seeing in Paris instead of wasting time in a bus, train or taxi.
Not to mention all the great dinners you'll be missing!

I've stayed at both many times, and while HR Madeleine is certainly smaller (I believe it's the smallest hotel in the chain--or at least it used to be), I prefer the PH Vendome substantially (which, by the way, I would NOT call "huge").
rfrost is offline  
Old May 15, 10, 12:03 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 56
Wow! Lots of great info...

We won't arrive until December....doesn't the sun set much earlier in the fall/winter...somewhere around 5 pm? Should I be concerned about being out after dark unescorted? It will just be me and my teenaged daughter, and we don't typically walk around at night, even in our home state.

I would definitely prefer to stay in the city, but worry about the commute time to CDG from central Paris for an 11:40 AM flight back to the states. I even thought about splitting our time, 2 days in the city, and on the last day when we check out of our central Paris hotel, have them hold our luggage while we finish exploring the city and catch the 6 pm shuttle with luggage to the Hyatt at Charles de Gaulle airport. We will have had enough time (not really) to explore the major sites and attractions and feel safer knowing we are 5 minutes from the airport the following morning. Does this sound like a good plan?
Travel_Queen is offline  
Old May 15, 10, 12:31 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,139
Originally Posted by Travel_Queen View Post
We won't arrive until December....doesn't the sun set much earlier in the fall/winter...somewhere around 5 pm? Should I be concerned about being out after dark unescorted? It will just be me and my teenaged daughter, and we don't typically walk around at night, even in our home state.

I would definitely prefer to stay in the city, but worry about the commute time to CDG from central Paris for an 11:40 AM flight back to the states. I even thought about splitting our time, 2 days in the city, and on the last day when we check out of our central Paris hotel, have them hold our luggage while we finish exploring the city and catch the 6 pm shuttle with luggage to the Hyatt at Charles de Gaulle airport. We will have had enough time (not really) to explore the major sites and attractions and feel safer knowing we are 5 minutes from the airport the following morning. Does this sound like a good plan?
You're worrying about something you don't need to worry about. You can easily get to CDG well in time for your flight. I always took the 11:15 and had no trouble getting there in time.

Bobette
b1513 is offline  
Old May 15, 10, 12:45 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by b1513 View Post
You're worrying about something you don't need to worry about. You can easily get to CDG well in time for your flight. I always took the 11:15 and had no trouble getting there in time.

Bobette
What time do you recommend leaving for the airport? What mode of transportation?
Travel_Queen is offline  
Old May 15, 10, 3:11 pm
  #12  
iff
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,335
Originally Posted by Travel_Queen View Post
We won't arrive until December....doesn't the sun set much earlier in the fall/winter...somewhere around 5 pm? Should I be concerned about being out after dark unescorted? It will just be me and my teenaged daughter, and we don't typically walk around at night, even in our home state.
Speaking only for myself, half the fun of being in Paris in December is walking around at night! If you stay at the Park Hyatt Vendome, for example, you wouldn't be far from the Grands Magasins--the big department stores which will have wonderful lights and window displays for Christmas. The Champs-Elysées (which I normally prefer to avoid) is beautiful at night in the winter. Trust me, you will have a much more memorable experience if you stay in the city rather than spending so much of your time in transport. As far as safety, don't worry--unless you get waaaay off the beaten path, any area you'll likely be in will be safe to walk in at night with plenty of other people around.

If you don't want to take a taxi to the airport, from that location it's pretty easy to take the Roissybus from Opera to CDG (€9.10 per person). That normally takes about an hour, although with the current construction mess along its route through the Place de Clichy I would allow a bit more time. For example, I like to arrive in plenty of time to get through security and such, so I would probably catch the Roissybus by 7:30; your timing may vary depending on which terminal you're going to, if you have status (I don't), if you are able to check in online, whether you have luggage to check, etc.

Others may have different recommendations for transport or hotel, but I think everyone here will agree that you would be much better off staying in Paris and not by the airport.
iff is offline  
Old May 15, 10, 4:24 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,139
Originally Posted by Travel_Queen View Post
What time do you recommend leaving for the airport? What mode of transportation?
If you aren't going to take a cab I'd do what iff suggested....Roissy bus from Opera. I take a cab and leave at 8 am and have never been even close to late.

Bobette
b1513 is offline  
Old May 16, 10, 5:38 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 56
Ok, you guys have definitely convinced us to stay in central Paris. It's not as if we get to visit often. We are doing a 12-night Med cruise first and ending with a side trip to Paris as a "Sweet 16" present for my daughter. This will be a once in a lifetime trip before she goes off to college, so we are very excited. Thanks so much for all the input.

Quick question...we were considering either a taxi or Super Shuttle (€39/2 pp) for transport from the airport. Since we will each have 1 large piece of luggage and carryons, is this the best solution? The Roissy bus has been mentioned on several boards as an inexpensive means of transport, but just wondering how far it will drop us from either the Vendome or the Madeliene. BTW, we are leaning towards the Vendome because we will need twin beds. and the pics of the rooms at the M seem really snug.

On the return trip, I think I would be more comfortable taking a taxi to the airport.
Travel_Queen is offline  
Old May 16, 10, 7:00 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,139
Originally Posted by Travel_Queen View Post
Ok, you guys have definitely convinced us to stay in central Paris. It's not as if we get to visit often. We are doing a 12-night Med cruise first and ending with a side trip to Paris as a "Sweet 16" present for my daughter. This will be a once in a lifetime trip before she goes off to college, so we are very excited. Thanks so much for all the input.

Quick question...we were considering either a taxi or Super Shuttle (€39/2 pp) for transport from the airport. Since we will each have 1 large piece of luggage and carryons, is this the best solution? The Roissy bus has been mentioned on several boards as an inexpensive means of transport, but just wondering how far it will drop us from either the Vendome or the Madeliene. BTW, we are leaning towards the Vendome because we will need twin beds. and the pics of the rooms at the M seem really snug.

On the return trip, I think I would be more comfortable taking a taxi to the airport.
You will not be sorry you decided to stay in the city. You would have been sorry if you stayed at the airport.

AFA the choice of taxi vs shuttle, I always take a taxi because it is easiest and most comfortable for me, but everyone is different. It will be anywhere from 55 - 75 Euros average depending on traffic.

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; May 16, 10 at 7:09 pm
b1513 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread