Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RoissyBus Revisited

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

RoissyBus Revisited

Last week I used the RoissyBus for the first time in many years. My last experience all those years ago was pretty negative-they were basically using regular city buses with little provision for luggage. It seemed every trip someone would get on early, plant their suitcase toward the front of the bus in the aisle and expect all the remaining passengers to climb over it.

For a long time, we used the Air France buses, going to L'Etoile (the Arc), which stops first at Porte Maillot. Over the last year or so, the AF buses went downhill-they raised the rates (now 15 E one-way and 28 RT), and they cut the service from every 15 minutes to every 30 minutes. This not only means a longer average wait but also the buses are much more crowded and the pick-ups and stops can take forever.

RoissyBus has new buses designed for passenegers with luggage. There's no under-bus storage like AF, but the new buses have wider aisles, more space between rows and a much roomier feel. There are two luggage racks toward the middle of the bus, which if used well should hold around 12-15 bags each. This will not completely accommodate luggage for a bus full of people, but there is also a large open area with no seats in the middle which can hold luggage or people standing or both. The price of the bus is 9.10 Euros and I don't know of any RT discount.

We waited about 15 minutes for the bus to pick us up at Terminal 2 (the RATP website says they bus runs every 15-20 minutes). It made a quick loop around T2, picking up a few passengers, then over to T1, where we got a few more, There were only about 10-12 people on the bus. Our trip to Opera took a long time as a snowstorm had just hit Paris and the roads were a mess, but that's a road issue and not unique to the RoissyBus.

My opinion: First, this is obviously a much cheaper ride. If the bus is not full, it will be as good or better than AF. The only drawbacks are:

1. I still don't know how the luggage issue will shake out when the bus is full.

2. The day we landed, it was very cold in Paris and the bus was not well heated. Whether this was due to design or ops, I don't know.

As for those shelves above the seats, yes, they're there. They might hold a very small briefcase, a hat or a jacket but they're not going to make much difference to a crowd of, in large part, international travelers.

Even though being dropped at the Arc is more convenient than Opera for us, I would take the Roissybus from now on instead of AF due to the big price savings and reduced hassle. I am going to revisit the RER an a future visit to check it out-the new shuttle train at CDG seems to have eliminated my major beef about the RER, that being the buses used to get to the RER station. I also have to see if my transfer at St. Michel can be done using escalators or elevators.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: Many
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

One thing about the Roissybus : a Navigo pass valid from zone 1 to 5 could be used in the Roissybus.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the posting.

I am going to Paris after Christmas and considering to take the RoissyBus as I will be staying near the Palais Royal this time and think drop-off at Opera may be more convenient than the Air France drop-off.

Didn't know Air France Bus went down hill, another reason to consider the RoissyBus.

I prefer the bus vs PER as PER can get very crowded and difficult to manage luggage up/down stairs, also the very long walk way at Gare du Nord transfer... What is the new shuttle train you mentioned? Train is better option for rush hours or bad weather conditions.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
You have kinda put doubt in my head now! Off to Paris on Wednesday for 4 days on a mini honeymoon, and was all set to take the AF bus. The only thing that is still making think to take it is we are staying two minutes from the Arc...
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
What is the new shuttle train you mentioned?
This:

http://www.francetravelplanner.com/g...ir/cdgval.html

the shuttle buses between 1/2/3 are a thing of the past. And, the train isn't all that new, I used it last Christmas.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
This:

the shuttle buses between 1/2/3 are a thing of the past. And, the train isn't all that new, I used it last Christmas.
Thanks for the info. If I recall correctly, last few times we just came out from immigration, walked a few exit door down and crossed street for Air France bus, haven't used the shuttle between terminals for a while. Looks like I can also board the RoissyBus to Opera at Terminal 1, hope it is easy to find.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cosby
You have kinda put doubt in my head now! Off to Paris on Wednesday for 4 days on a mini honeymoon, and was all set to take the AF bus. The only thing that is still making think to take it is we are staying two minutes from the Arc...
If I were staying that close to the Arc, I'd pay up for the AF bus as the travel time will be less, and you'll avoid another transfer after you get to Paris (assuming you meant 2 minutes by foot).
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
This:

To clarify, the train I referred to does not go from CDG to Paris. It is a shuttle within the airport that you can take to get from your terminal to the RER train, which does go to Paris.

The shuttle train is a couple of years old. I used the term "new" since I haven't taken it (and, I am, of course, the center of the universe), and also in the context of an airport that takes years to renovate a terminal (eg #1) or repair one that's damaged (eg, 2E).

I haven't caught the RoissyBus from T1 (avoiding T1 is high on my list of things to do in Paris) but in T2 there is good signage.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wendySFO
Thanks for the posting.

I am going to Paris after Christmas and considering to take the RoissyBus as I will be staying near the Palais Royal this time and think drop-off at Opera may be more convenient than the Air France drop-off.

Didn't know Air France Bus went down hill, another reason to consider the RoissyBus.

I prefer the bus vs PER as PER can get very crowded and difficult to manage luggage up/down stairs, also the very long walk way at Gare du Nord transfer... What is the new shuttle train you mentioned? Train is better option for rush hours or bad weather conditions.
With minimal luggage and a nice day (which have not been plentiful lately) you can walk from Opera to Palais Royal in about 20 minutes. If you need to get a cab due to luggage or weather, there's little to chose between Opera and the Arc-the Arc will be a little more expensive but not that much.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:08 am

Ended up still took the Air France bus as I changed my hotel to near Arc De Triomphe. I waited for around 30 minutes. Won't be taking the bus to go back to the airport as I have early flight and the first Air France bus is not early enough.

RossyBus station at CDG Terminal 1 is next to the Air France bus. Just find the exit door 32 and cross the street to find the booth where you can buy ticket and wait for bus there.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
chiming in, my last experiences with AF bus also involved lengthy waits at both Orly and CDG

I guess it's a matter of timing. I'll probably be using RER unless I'm accompanied by someone who isn't up to the rigors of same.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I took Roissybus to CDG on Christmas morning. I bought my ticket with 9.10€ in change from a ticket machine in the metro. It left on time and, with heavy rain and light but not non-existent traffic, took about 45 minutes to Terminal 2A--more than the 20 minutes the driver had predicted but not bad. I probably wouldn't take it on a normal morning, however. It would be pretty unpleasant if packed--there's really not enough luggage storage for the number of seats.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:22 pm

Well we took it (No 2 bus) there and back to the airport.

From CDG to Etoile was a nightmare. Traffic was terrible and took over 2 hours. Back to CDG was only 40 minutes.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:01 pm
iff

Originally Posted by Cosby
Well we took it (No 2 bus) there and back to the airport.

From CDG to Etoile was a nightmare. Traffic was terrible and took over 2 hours. Back to CDG was only 40 minutes.
Just to clarify, you're referring to the Air France bus here.

Which days and times of day did you take it? There were a lot of traffic problems before Christmas due to weather and people traveling before and after the holidays.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:55 am

Yep sorry the AF bus aka Les Cars. It was the 23rd Dec at about 6pm from CDG and then Sunday 27th at 11:30am going to CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.