Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

looking to rent an apartment in paris june, 2010 (advice sought)

looking to rent an apartment in paris june, 2010 (advice sought)

Old Dec 12, 09, 11:06 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Smile looking to rent an apartment in paris june, 2010 (advice sought)

here's the situation:

my family, goalie-mom & goalie-dad [sfo], my sister (iad) and me (sfo) have to be in paris for our cousin's wedding in june and with me being the good f/t'er, i am charged with finding flights either paid or awards but the issue is accommodations.

a family discussion came up last night about renting a 2br apartment (with perhaps also a sofa in the l/r [does not have to be a sofa-bed]) for the week as that would be less expensive than a hotel and that of course prompted me to think about f/t'ers in paris who might know someone reliable

the wedding is saturday june 26th and we are looking at arriving june 23rd and departing june 30th (yeah i know it's only a week and mid-week at that tho the arrival date can be moved earlier but it's tough to move the departure date)

any thoughts, help and advice would be greatly appreciated (and will of course help keep my f/t reputation intact with my family )
Old Dec 12, 09, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
I've never rented an apartment in Paris but my instinct is that it might be challenging to find one for only a week (and mid-week to mid-week at that).

Do you need to be in downtown Paris? A hotel out in the 'burbs won't be terribly expensive. It might not be anything special either mind you but it could be adequate.

Example: http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...on/index.shtml

When I travel personally to Paris I like staying at the Tim Hotel (Opera Madeleine). It's nothing special but I like the location and they have a rather decent breakfast there too.
Old Dec 12, 09, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Another thought - they probably have several nondescript hotels out by Le Bourget (the airfield). You might also be able to find some nice B&B in Versailles.
Old Dec 13, 09, 4:20 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
I have stayed in several Paris apartments. I like these two in the Marais:

http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/e...roperty/101856

http://www.haveninparis.com/rental/Pavee.php

The first apartment may be tight for four people, though it has a king and a queen bed. The location can't of both places be beat (rue Pavee and rue des Rosiers). If you are renting a car, it may be difficult to park in the Marais.

You can also check vrbo.com, where I've found several other apartments.
Old Dec 14, 09, 10:42 am

Programs: AF F+ Rouge / Flying Ash®
Another recent thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...als-paris.html
Old Dec 14, 09, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Over Thanksgiving 2009, my mother, brother, and I stayed at VRBO #121794 for six nights. It is a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment with a sleeper sofa in the living room. It was the perfect apartment for three adults who needed separate sleeping quarters.

The owners live in London and accept personal checks in pounds, euros, and dollars. We paid $1,250 for our six-night stay; we also provided a check for $240 for the deposit. We sent the check and they sent a key with codes and instructions.

The apartment is in the 11th arrondissement on Rue Parmentier. The nearest metro is Parmentier - just across the street. The Oberkampf metro is about a five minute walk. The neighborhood is residential with boulangeries everywhere. There are two small grocery stores (Super U and Franxprix) and many specialty stores (fruits, vegetables, wine, deli, cheese shop, and butchershop).

The building is very secure with two entryways that require a code for entry. It has a small lift but the apartment is on the second floor.

The living room has a sleeper sofa large enough for two adults. The living room has a television (no English channels that we could find), internet cable, dvd player, and stereo. There is a coffee table and two large chairs. The living room has a working fireplace. Each room has gorgeous hard-wood floors, chair rails, and crown moulding.

The master bedroom has a king bed (two twins pushed together) and lots of storage space. A bathroom adjoins the master bedroom; it is a bathroom with a large tub and sink but no toilet. There is a fireplace but it does not work.

The second bedroom has twin beds and a large wardrobe/closet.

The kitchen has a refrigerator with a small freezer, a gas stove, oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, dishwasher, washer, and dryer. The kitchen is fully-stocked with dishes, tableware, glasses, and implements (corkscrew, knives, can opener, etc.).

There is a small room with a shower, toilet, and sink. There is a separate room with just a toilet. Towels and soap were provided. We brought our own shampoo and purchased toilet paper from the Super U.

If this apartment is not available, then you may be able to find a similar one through www.vrbo.com. We have used vrbo (vacation rental by owner) to rent apartments and condos in Paris, London, and Maui. By dealing directly with the owner, you can save considerably.

PLMK if you have any questions.

The website for this particular apartment is www://vrbo/121794
Old Dec 14, 09, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FlyForFun View Post
Over Thanksgiving 2009, my mother, brother, and I stayed at VRBO #121794 for six nights. It is a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment with a sleeper sofa in the living room. It was the perfect apartment for three adults who needed separate sleeping quarters.

The owners live in London and accept personal checks in pounds, euros, and dollars. We paid $1,250 for our six-night stay; we also provided a check for $240 for the deposit. We sent the check and they sent a key with codes and instructions.

The apartment is in the 11th arrondissement on Rue Parmentier. The nearest metro is Parmentier - just across the street. The Oberkampf metro is about a five minute walk. The neighborhood is residential with boulangeries everywhere. There are two small grocery stores (Super U and Franxprix) and many specialty stores (fruits, vegetables, wine, deli, cheese shop, and butchershop).

The building is very secure with two entryways that require a code for entry. It has a small lift but the apartment is on the second floor.

The living room has a sleeper sofa large enough for two adults. The living room has a television (no English channels that we could find), internet cable, dvd player, and stereo. There is a coffee table and two large chairs. The living room has a working fireplace. Each room has gorgeous hard-wood floors, chair rails, and crown moulding.

The master bedroom has a king bed (two twins pushed together) and lots of storage space. A bathroom adjoins the master bedroom; it is a bathroom with a large tub and sink but no toilet. There is a fireplace but it does not work.

The second bedroom has twin beds and a large wardrobe/closet.

The kitchen has a refrigerator with a small freezer, a gas stove, oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, dishwasher, washer, and dryer. The kitchen is fully-stocked with dishes, tableware, glasses, and implements (corkscrew, knives, can opener, etc.).

There is a small room with a shower, toilet, and sink. There is a separate room with just a toilet. Towels and soap were provided. We brought our own shampoo and purchased toilet paper from the Super U.

If this apartment is not available, then you may be able to find a similar one through www.vrbo.com. We have used vrbo (vacation rental by owner) to rent apartments and condos in Paris, London, and Maui. By dealing directly with the owner, you can save considerably.

PLMK if you have any questions.

The website for this particular apartment is www://vrbo/121794
thanks so much this looks like it could prove VERY promising
Old Dec 16, 09, 8:30 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Try this company http://www.parisrentaparts.com/
I have rented from them in the past and am renting again for this March.
They will go with mid week - to - mid week rentals. They have a nice variety and the apartment looks exactly like the pictures on line.
I would consider spending extra to have air condition in the apartment/bedrooms; June is a hit or miss as far as heat index but some years it can be very hot and humid in June.

Last edited by keisari; Dec 16, 09 at 8:32 am Reason: added information
Old Dec 16, 09, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari View Post
I have rented from them in the past and am renting again for this March.
They will go with mid week - to - mid week rentals. They have a nice variety and the apartment looks exactly like the pictures on line.
I would consider spending extra to have air condition in the apartment/bedrooms; June is a hit or miss as far as heat index but some years it can be very hot and humid in June.
thank you - i like the availability search feature. just sent the link to goalie-parents
Old Dec 19, 09, 10:30 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
thank you - i like the availability search feature. just sent the link to goalie-parents
The manager of the company is Mr. Rossi ( I think the HQ of the company is in Italy) and if you have any special requests (like arriving early, leaving later, etc...) just e-mail him directly and he will help.
I rented the apt in the St. Sulpice church area on Rue Garanciere and loved the area. No a/c though but I travel mostly in the non-summer months.
Old Dec 19, 09, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

The manager of the company is Mr. Rossi ( I think the HQ of the company is in Italy) and if you have any special requests (like arriving early, leaving later, etc...) just e-mail him directly and he will help.
I rented the apt in the St. Sulpice church area on Rue Garanciere and loved the area. No a/c though but I travel mostly in the non-summer months.
thanks again and you have thanks from goalie-parents
Old Dec 30, 09, 5:45 pm

After many years of hotel stays in Paris, we finally decided to rent an apartment. And yes, we rented for 1 week at a time or 10 days. It opened a whole new world of Paris to us. We actually felt like we were living in Paris ... not just visiting. We enjoyed shopping at the open markets and not having to have every meal in a restaurant (which gets really old after a while). We enjoyed making coffee in the mornings and having at least one other meal in the apartment. We used Paris Luxury Rentals and it was such a good experience that after a few years we actually bought an apartment in Paris. I would highly recommend renting especially since you would not be able to all stay together in one room in a hotel.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 1, 10, 1:40 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Loads of apartment choices

You should have no problem finding a suitable apartment in Paris, though it is a busy time of year so booking soon is a good idea. Some, but far from a majority, require a specific day for arrival and a minimum one week stay is fine for almost all. My new favorite site for vacation rentals is www.homeaway.com because the search function is well designed. You might also take a look at this link for some god advice.
Old Jan 3, 10, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
We have used Cooper Paris Flats and have been very satisfied.
Old Jan 3, 10, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
A/C is almost non-existent in Paris apartments. In the rare instance you do find it, it doesn't work well. In the three summers I spent there, it was really only an issue in Aug 2003.

Search this Thread