Wiki Posts
Search

CDG RER Ticket Line

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

CDG RER Ticket Line

Hi all,

I was planning to take the RER into Paris, as it seemed like the fastest way. However, I've read that the ticket machines only accept the European "chip and pin" credit cards. I have only American credit cards, and don't want to have to get cash at the airport. So apparently I have to use the ticket counter. Does anyone have any idea about how long to expect for the line for the ticket counter is? I've heard rumors of 45+ minutes. It would be around 9am on a Tuesday. Want to reserve a shuttle from the hotel if the ticket counter is terribly long! Don't want any time savings by taking the train to be absorbed waiting on line.

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
It is the luck of the draw but FWIW I've never waited over 10 minutes in that line at that time of day.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:47 am

Does anyone know if the RER ticket machines at CDG accept Euro notes (or just coins)? Thanks for any info.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by aa4ever
Hi all,

I was planning to take the RER into Paris, as it seemed like the fastest way. However, I've read that the ticket machines only accept the European "chip and pin" credit cards. I have only American credit cards, and don't want to have to get cash at the airport. So apparently I have to use the ticket counter. Does anyone have any idea about how long to expect for the line for the ticket counter is? I've heard rumors of 45+ minutes. It would be around 9am on a Tuesday. Want to reserve a shuttle from the hotel if the ticket counter is terribly long! Don't want any time savings by taking the train to be absorbed waiting on line.

Thanks so much!

The catch is some machines take American non-ICC credit cards while others do not. The only way to find out is actually trying it. If a machine does not take it, try with another one.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by rknt50a
Does anyone know if the RER ticket machines at CDG accept Euro notes (or just coins)? Thanks for any info.
Just coins unfortunately. You can go to the newsstand and buy a bottle of water or something to get some change. It's 8E50.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N227UA
The catch is some machines take American non-ICC credit cards while others do not. The only way to find out is actually trying it. If a machine does not take it, try with another one.
Awesome! So if I just keep trying the machines, eventually I should get one that accepts it? Do a lot of them take them, or just a couple!

And thanks for your response benzguy80. I guess if the ticket line isn't too long, I'll just go for that and avoid the pain of finding a machine that works.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:05 am

Awesome! So if I just keep trying the machines, eventually I should get one that accepts it? Do a lot of them take them, or just a couple!

And thanks for your response benzguy80. I guess if the ticket line isn't too long, I'll just go for that and avoid the pain of finding a machine that works.
I miss a time when I was going to Paris frequently and would get in that line to buy my Carte Orange ticket for the week. Now Carte Orange has been replaced and I seldom get to my favorite city (sob!).

Enjoy Paris but keep tabs on your belongings on the 'B' train between CDG and Gare du Nord.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver

Eventually, yes. However, I do not know what percentage of them take non-ICC credit cards. In my experiences, I never had to try more than three.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I should probably mention my experience, in case anybody comes across this thread in the future.

I tried 2 machines, neither of which accepted my US card (an AMEX). So I went ahead and got on the line. Line was about 10 min at 9am. Fortunately, I just made the train (by about 2 min).
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:43 pm

Hi, I should probably mention my experience, in case anybody comes across this thread in the future.

I tried 2 machines, neither of which accepted my US card (an AMEX). So I went ahead and got on the line. Line was about 10 min at 9am. Fortunately, I just made the train (by about 2 min).
so what? at 9am the RER 'B' trains leave fairly often from CDG (every 7-8 minutes IIRC)
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold

FWIW, last time I tried, three of the machines did not accept my European Carte Blue (French card with a chip). I had to use an American credit card. So its really pot luck.

Which of course only goes to further prove that CDG is probably the worse airport in Europe.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crosswordfiend
Just coins unfortunately. You can go to the newsstand and buy a bottle of water or something to get some change. It's 8E50.
Inside the RER ticketing area is a change machine, it will convert bills to coins. However, on a few occasions one or both of the machines were out of order.
Also, if you walk from your arrival gate to the RER area, there are several machines in the various corridors which will dispense tickets (as well as metro carnets--good for local trips in Paris). I don't know if these are any better with cc's than the others.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
The concept of trying different ticketing machines, hoping to find one that accepts a non-chipped credit card, is interesting... and somewhat intimidating. If I recall correctly, you're not asked for the method of payment until well into the transaction, so you could potentially be holding people up here, there, and then again elsewhere while you hope to find a machine that works. Crazy that the machines don't inform you which is which.

For what it's worth, I don't believe I've had the fortune of coming across a machine at a rail station that would take my non-chipped credit card. I always try, but only once. Then I go to the ticket counter.

At the metro, I used to have better luck than present, which is odd. Used to be the case that the funny machines with the roll bar would work for me, but the last couple of years I've had no luck there. Go figure.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:09 am

I no longer even try to use US cards at Metro or RER station machines. I just go to the ticket counter.

Waiting 10 minutes (if that) on a trip that takes 12 or more hours door-to-door is no big deal to me.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Waiting 10 minutes (if that) on a trip that takes 12 or more hours door-to-door is no big deal to me.
No kidding! +1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.