Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

VAT Refund - how long does it take?

Old Oct 21, 09, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GOLD

How long does it generally take for a VAT refund to be processed and applied to your Credit Card? I am a US citizen and made two purchases in France about 2 weeks ago. I had the forms stamped at CDG airport and mailed them in the envelopes provided.
Old Oct 21, 09, 2:19 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As your Q. is focused on refund of French VAT, let me move this to our Travel->France forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 22, 09, 10:53 am

I've only had two experiences with this and once it was posted in about 2 weeks and the other time it was much longer. I don't remember exactly, since it was a while ago, but it was something like 6 weeks, I'd say.

Bobette
Old Oct 22, 09, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
Like the poster's above, my experience with getting the detaxe credited has varied considerably, although in recent years it's tended to be quicker than in the past (generally 2-4 weeks now). If you are using AmEx to get your refund, you should be able to get at least a temporary credit if you tell them you're expecting the refund.
Old Oct 23, 09, 11:03 am

I was in Paris last November. The detaxe finally appeared on my May statement.

It was not at the top of my mind, though I thought about it occasionally and figured that at some point I'd have to investigate. Glad it arrived before I had to waste any time on it.
Old Dec 8, 09, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GOLD
The VAT refund posted to my AMEX last weekend and ended up taking about 8 weeks to go through.

Search this Thread