Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mynameismud
Great news,
i had a quick look while considering going to the Alps at the end of this week, but there is not any car available at LYS airport...
You know there is a bus to Grenoble from LYS. Or you can take the tram into the city and rent a car at Part Dieu.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Great news,
i had a quick look while considering going to the Alps at the end of this week, but there is not any car available at LYS airport...
When do you want to rent? I found availability at Sixt.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bodory
When do you want to rent? I found availability at Sixt.
Thanks bodory
It was for yesterday evening, but i gave up as i got a cold...

My brother sent me a sunny picture with a large blue sky and some nice powder ^
Looks really good !
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
You know there is a bus to Grenoble from LYS. Or you can take the tram into the city and rent a car at Part Dieu.
Merci stimpy
i also had a look to rentals in Lyon but Hertz was also short of available cars...only available was an electric one: not very good to drive up the mountains
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:48 am

transportation options

I'm going to 3vt (three valleys) in mid-Feb (I know, it's winter holidays there but no choice). Currently trying to figure out how to get from GVA to courchevel 1550. It seems my options are:

1) alpski-bus.com 131€ r/t
2) shared van transfer. prices range from 130€ and up
3) private van transfer. Price out of budget.
4) tgv europe train. price < 20€ ?!?!

I'm opting for 1 or 2, but am stuck on the price quote given via train. It would be nice to train it for the sights and more comfortable seating (I'm fine that it takes an hour or two longer. It's a vacation after all). But in my search on the tgv-europe.com website, there's an option called 'season ticket' with the following relevant options:

* season ticket
* 1st class frequent
* 1st class daily
* 2nd class frequent
* 2nd class daily

Which option do I choose for a simple round-trip train fare?? Does anyone know?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by randomtask123
* season ticket
* 1st class frequent
* 1st class daily
* 2nd class frequent
* 2nd class daily

Which option do I choose for a simple round-trip train fare?? Does anyone know?
I'm not sure where you are seeing this, but I would guess that 2nd class daily is what you want, if you want the cheapest. Frequent probably means that you have to have a Abonnement Fréquence.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:04 am

I'm not sure where you are seeing this, but I would guess that 2nd class daily is what you want, if you want the cheapest. Frequent probably means that you have to have a Abonnement Fréquence.
here's a screen cap...
http://tinyurl.com/76w55ch

Another confirmation from someone who has bought a ticket on the tgv-europe.com site would be great!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I use http://www.voyages-sncf.com in French of course, but if I translate your screen shot, again I'm pretty sure daily 2nd class is the cheapest. I think you would go to Moûtiers Salins to get to Courchevel, transferring to a bus at the station.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:00 am

Well I use http://www.voyages-sncf.com in French of course, but if I translate your screen shot, again I'm pretty sure daily 2nd class is the cheapest. I think you would go to Moûtiers Salins to get to Courchevel, transferring to a bus at the station.
2nd class daily is the cheapest indeed, but I just want to be sure that just because I can buy it, doesn't mean I can use it!

And yes, I'd get off at Moutiers Salins then take a bus / taxi to courchevel 1550. If it weren't for the fact that total train fare is less than 20 euros, I'll probably just do car hire for the flexibility...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:52 pm

Back from a long week end in La Plagne with amazing snow conditions, so much better than last year. The only rock i encountered was off track/backcountry
Some locals say they did not get as much as snow since the 70's...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ground is white even down here at sea level in Burgundy. It must be great up on the mountain. I won't get there til the school break in March though.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:16 am

ticket option for french resorts?

I'm looking at ski pass options for 3 valley.. I see 1 day, 2 days,..., 14 days.

Are these passes 1 of 2 days, 2 of 3 days, 3 of 4 days, etc, like in some of the US resorts?

What happens if we want to ski 4 days with with a 1 day rest in the middle?

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:28 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Back from a long week end in La Plagne with amazing snow conditions, so much better than last year. The only rock i encountered was off track/backcountry
Some locals say they did not get as much as snow since the 70's...
Hopefully, with the amount of snow we have currently, I hope I will be able to go from Méribel down to Brides-les-Bains, just two weeks from now ...
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Hopefully, with the amount of snow we have currently, I hope I will be able to go from Méribel down to Brides-les-Bains, just two weeks from now ...
i'm sure it won't be a problem to go down to Brides.
Can't wait to get back there, although i will have to wait until the end of march as i avoid as much as i can school holidays and have my own vacations scheduled mid march
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by randomtask123
I'm looking at ski pass options for 3 valley.. I see 1 day, 2 days,..., 14 days.

Are these passes 1 of 2 days, 2 of 3 days, 3 of 4 days, etc, like in some of the US resorts?

What happens if we want to ski 4 days with with a 1 day rest in the middle?

Thanks!
Unless i'm mistaken, this does not exist in France (at least in major resorts such as 3V, Paradiski...)

i guess you had a look to ski pass fares, how do they compare to US prices ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.