The French skiing thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 15, 15, 4:49 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: bodory
Wiki Link
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2016:
Zone A: Feb 13 - Feb 28
Zone B: Feb 6 - Feb 21
Zone C: Feb 20 - Mar 6
Week of Feb 6 - Zone B
Week of Feb 13 - Zone A and Zone B
Week of Feb 20 - Zone A and Zone C
Week of Feb 27 - Zone C

2017:
Zone A: Feb 18 - Mar 5
Zone B: Feb 11 - Feb 26
Zone C: Feb 4 - Feb 19
Week of Feb 4 - Zone C
Week of Feb 11 - Zone B and Zone C
Week of Feb 18 - Zone A and Zone B
Week of Feb 25 - Zone A
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 9, 15, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Hi Mynameismud

I saw that one the past week indeed. My kids love it!
Old Dec 25, 15, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

The French skiing thread

I am in the middle of two weeks in Courchevel and Méribel: snow conditions are not good but at least we can ski thanks to amazing work from technical staff from S3V and Méribel Alpina. The past week has been extremely calm with mostly locals on the slopes. Lifts were empty all the time, even during peak hours.

Next week is going to be another story : crowd is expected with half the slopes open and snow conditions quickly deteriorating...
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:39 am
Original Poster

So, the week has been complicated as expected : no snow until Saturday! But at last it is there, with the usual minor accidents on the slippy roads with all people not knowing the existence of winter tyres...

For the record, Méribel Alpina staff have used an helicopter to bring some snow on the Boulevard de la Loze on the 26th of December. Quite impressive but at the same time I am not sure that is the best way to fight against Mother Nature...

Thanks anyway to all locals, including ski clubs and ESF, for all the work : manually removing stones from the slopes and bringing snow on it (using improvised slides) is quite an achievement.
Old Feb 8, 16, 6:38 pm

The prices we have seen are from GBP 420-700pp. We would like to keep our all in budget food, travel, lodging to under GBP1250. If we can get lifts and rental included then all the better.
Old Feb 9, 16, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by James F View Post
The prices we have seen are from GBP 420-700pp. We would like to keep our all in budget food, travel, lodging to under GBP1250. If we can get lifts and rental included then all the better.
What does this mean?
Old Jan 21, 17, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
A long week-end in Courchevel. Thank God snow arrived this week, but it is chilly. -10°C this morning at the center of Moriond, but a very sunny afternoon after arriving in Albertville yesterday evening; most ski tracks and lifts are operational. I guess this won't be the year where I'll go down to Brides from Méribel, though.
Old Jan 30, 17, 7:40 am
Original Poster

It's good you could have enjoyed the resort and the snow. I will be there end of Feb.
Old May 10, 17, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
Month-Long Home Base in FR Alps?

Hope you all had a great season!

M. Tatin and I spent the winter skiing the Vail properties in the US Rocky Mountains on our Epic Pass, as retired ski vagabonds in a pickup truck camper. Now I am doing advance planning for February/March 2019 that will include a week in a timeshare condo at Haute-Nendaz. We would like to expand it by renting a flat for a month in the Haute-Savoie. What are your recommendations for a budget-friendly base of operations with good public transport? I started looking at the Evasion/Chamonix area and also the town of St.-Gervais-les-Bains. I have visited it a couple times to cheer on our kids running the UTMB and liked what I saw there.

Thanks in advance,

T2
Old May 18, 17, 3:56 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Smile

Originally Posted by tartetatin2 View Post
Hope you all had a great season!

Now I am doing advance planning for February/March 2019 that will include a week in a timeshare condo at Haute-Nendaz. We would like to expand it by renting a flat for a month in the Haute-Savoie. What are your recommendations for a budget-friendly base of operations with good public transport? I started looking at the Evasion/Chamonix area and also the town of St.-Gervais-les-Bains. I have visited it a couple times to cheer on our kids running the UTMB and liked what I saw there.

Thanks in advance,

T2
Chamonix is not a budget-friendly choice, it has one of the most expensive ski passes you can find in Haute-Savoie, and the smallish resorts are scattered in different places, you need to take a bus to go from one to the other, it is not handy or user-friendly, I would not recommend this place. Accomodation and food will not come cheap either.

Why not try Les Gets, a place with character, or La Clusaz, both have charm and large enough resorts, with shuttle bus access and you can walk everywhere once you are there?
Old May 23, 17, 9:10 am

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
Itfly,

Those are very good suggestions that I will follow up on. I made the (incorrect) assumption that the Portes du Soleil and la Clusaz were lower in altitude. Interesting also that Lac Leman influences the 'lake effect' snow that I am very familiar with here in Michigan.

Thank you!

T2
Old May 28, 17, 1:13 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by tartetatin2 View Post
Itfly,

Those are very good suggestions that I will follow up on. I made the (incorrect) assumption that the Portes du Soleil and la Clusaz were lower in altitude. Interesting also that Lac Leman influences the 'lake effect' snow that I am very familiar with here in Michigan.

Thank you!

T2
Enjoy your trip-planning, and your trip!
Old Dec 27, 17, 3:16 pm

Bonjour Everybody,

Anyone reporting the (Great ?!) snow conditions ?

Happy Snowy Season
Old Dec 28, 17, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Mynameismud View Post
Bonjour Everybody,

Anyone reporting the (Great ?!) snow conditions ?

Happy Snowy Season
Apparently, it's great conditions at the moment

Search this Thread