Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by JOUY31
BTW, 30mn from mid-Courchevel (let's say La Croisette) to Val Thorens, that is fast ! I've never managed that.
Fully agreed

But wasn't that the time spent on the lifts between the two resorts? If so that seems reasonable as well since the climb on Côte Brune chairlift is almost 10 minutes, the one on Platières is 10 minutes as well, plus 15 minutes to go from La Croisette to Saulire or Vizelle.

At the end, 30 minutes on the lifts seems perfectly usual to me. What is true however is that it might represent a significant portion of the time to go from 1850 to Val Thorens following that itin.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I think a wiki might be in order for this thread. Added one with school holiday info to help folks plan around it.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I think a wiki might be in order for this thread. Added one with school holiday info to help folks plan around it.
Nice start, but don't forget that the Swiss, German, Italian, Belgian and Spanish school holidays have an effect on French skiing too. The point is that it is very busy during all of February and a bit in January and March. When I'm on the slopes I hear all these languages spoken. And the Brits come here too! Lots of them.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Our trip will be during the 1st week of holidays so hopefully with only one zone off it will be OK. I understand it will be crowded but am willing to accept that and will try to travel on the off days.

A private lesson is definitely something I've considered, since we don't know the area at all. I will look into it some more once our travel plans are set.

I will be trying to book the train on day 1 when booking opens. On the captaintrain site there are several options for seats (4 seater booth, upstairs, downstairs, club duo). Does any of these offer more space, privacy, etc? I am guessing that couchettes are only available on the night train.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mgchan
I will be trying to book the train on day 1 when booking opens. On the captaintrain site there are several options for seats (4 seater booth, upstairs, downstairs, club duo). Does any of these offer more space, privacy, etc? I am guessing that couchettes are only available on the night train.
No privacy on these trains, and the seats are all the same size in 1st class. But with large bags the downstairs would be best. Plus there is a bit more luggage space downstairs.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgchan
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Our trip will be during the 1st week of holidays so hopefully with only one zone off it will be OK. I understand it will be crowded but am willing to accept that and will try to travel on the off days.

A private lesson is definitely something I've considered, since we don't know the area at all. I will look into it some more once our travel plans are set.

Originally Posted by stimpy
No privacy on these trains, and the seats are all the same size in 1st class. But with large bags the downstairs would be best. Plus there is a bit more luggage space downstairs.
Book your seats downstairs indeed:
- less hassle with luggages
- no traffic from coach to coach as downstairs aisles are dead ends
- less tossing as you are closer to the ground
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
Book your seats downstairs indeed:
- less hassle with luggages
- no traffic from coach to coach as downstairs aisles are dead ends
- less tossing as you are closer to the ground
I would strongly disagree.
At the top there is more space for luggage, in particular for long items. You will have a better view onto the countryside.
I don't have a problem with the mentioned tossing.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluesaturn
I would strongly disagree.
At the top there is more space for luggage, in particular for long items. You will have a better view onto the countryside.
I don't have a problem with the mentioned tossing.
Good to see some prefer going upstairs : it means more available seats downstairs for those like myself

+1 on the view though.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:59 am
Original Poster

The snow is there :

Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:43 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
The snow is there :
Courchevel 1850?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Yes

Nice view on Dent du Villard and Crêtes du Mont Charvet.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:13 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Yes

Nice view on Dent du Villard and Crêtes du Mont Charvet.
That's indeed a nice view ^
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Montagne en scène is back by the way :

Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:29 pm

Great video with amazing lines and riders.
Thanks for sharing bodory

In a different style this one is pretty good too with a Great champion as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.