Wiki Posts
Search

How to spend award miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
How to spend award miles

I know this question has been answered before but I don't have tons and tons of miles so this is a bit different.
I just checked the e-mail of my grandmother and FB has send her a mail that states that her miles will expire in March. Now she isn't going to fly anymore due to her health and condition . She had +/- 5000 miles and I have ordered the KLM agenda, so now she has 3900 miles. Any idea how I can spent those? Clearly no award flights and upgrades and such but I am not expecting those things ofcourse.
Other threads go about spending of thousands or so miles, so those answers don't fit me.
All replies are welcome!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:22 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
You could donate the miles to KLM Air cares, though I do not know if the minimum amount has to be 5.000 miles.
Other than that, I do not know what you could spend them on.

Gajan
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: FBGold - and that's about it nowadays, with Silver to come shortly :<(
From the KL site:
You can donate your Award Miles to a charity chosen by you from the list of Flying Blue’s partner associations. The minimum donation is 3,000 Award Miles, which you can increase in units of 1,000 Miles (provided that you have at least 10,000 Award Miles on your Flying Blue account).
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What you can do is take a one way Promo Award for 5,000 miles, which is what I did last year. I just bumped my mother's remaining 2,650 miles up to just over 5,000 (the current buy miles promo has a 30% bonus until 31st Oct), and I will spend them on one of these one way Promo Awards.

Examples of what I have done are:
AMS-EDI one way for 5,000 miles, return on easyJet
GVA-AMS one way for 5,000 miles, return on easyJet

Don't forget that these Promo Awards cannot be rebooked, or refunded. You just have to be careful that some or all of the 3,900 existing miles in the account don't expire (because of the 20 month limit) inbetween buying the miles top-up and booking the award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.