Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HH Silver, IHG plat
Originally Posted by KRSW
It's been ~8 months or so since my last stats, so I'll update them for those thinking about getting involved with Kiva and those currently participating:

Started in Dec 2015.
Amount Lent: $12,150
Amount Defaulted: $14.90
Amount of Currency Rate Loss: $0.41
Total losses: $15.31
$15.31 / $12,150 = 0.0012600823 or 0.126%.

US inflation for the same time period was 6.22%.

So, I've made 432 loans, got the chance to help out at least that many people, and earned ~48k UR points for $15.31. Not as great of an average as before, but still one heck of a deal. I would have liked to hit Kiva a bit harder during this time period, but life gets in the way at times. Hoping to do much more this year.

Defaulted loans: 2 total.
1) $25. Total loan was $8050 in Rwanda. Debtor paid back $22.95, thus $2.05 loss. I'm not upset about this one.
2) $50. Total loan was $500, in the Philippines. Debtor paid back $37.08, thus $12.92 loss. Annoyed by this, but still they paid back 74% of the loan, so I can't be too upset.
So I just hit my $1,000 mark and was kind of excited to post, and was then reading through and saw you're getting a 4X return on points and had to ask what I'm missing?

thanks

Matt
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
A lot of folks are using Kiva to dump office store gift cards. Often the local Office Depot or Staples have Visa/Mastercard gift cards for "free" ($15 off two $200's, or in the case of Staples outright no fee). I find waiting in line only to receive rejection at the Walmart (to buy money orders with them) nonproductive and doing this at home while watching a baseball game better. I've stopped doing this as interest rates have risen and I'm not spending down the number of points I have, so my last loan was made in October, but good to see folks still doing this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Just joined this. Cool!
JDiver and financialhippie like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:08 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
A third of the way through the year...let’s see how we’re progressing:

931 team members

$6,071,200 in loans funded

69,223 loans made

:-: Congrats on breaking the $6 MILLION milestone! :-:
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Have known about Kiva for years now, but only just pulled the trigger yesterday and funded my first few loans! Have joined the FlyerTalk Kiva team and starting attributing my loans there. While I'm nowhere near the amounts others here have loaned out, I'm looking forward to increasing my contributions and participating more!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Have known about Kiva for years now, but only just pulled the trigger yesterday and funded my first few loans! Have joined the FlyerTalk Kiva team and starting attributing my loans there. While I'm nowhere near the amounts others here have loaned out, I'm looking forward to increasing my contributions and participating more!
Welcome to the team!
WesternCDN likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:31 pm

Just joined kiva!
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Been making Kiva loans for a while, but just learned of the FT team. Joined...and re-lent some of my repaid Kiva credit while I was at it!
JDiver and WesternCDN like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Hey Jeff, just went to the link you sent and it was already funded. So I funded a few more while I was there.

Thanks for setting this all up!
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I lend money on Kiva each month, usually funded with GC's purchased during Staples and Office Max promos. Its a nice little extra MSing avenue that also helps people out in the process. One thing that I've never paid much attention to is the Lenders Leaderboard. Last month we were #4 and this month we are currently #6 . This year alone we have funded $2,224,000 in loans. I must say those numbers are freaking awesome for a team that has less that 1000 members. So to all the FT'ers that lend on Kiva, cheers to you and let's keep doing what we do. Im sure every borrower is much appreciative of the loans that we help fund. Happy Holidays Everyone!!
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:18 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Almost end of the year (and decade)...here's how the team's doing:

990 team members

$7,638,125 in loans funded

80,527 loans made

We just broke the $6 million milestone in May, and we're already chugging along nicely toward $8 million! Hope we get to welcome our 1000th member soon. :-:
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
Almost end of the year (and decade)...here's how the team's doing:

990 team members

$7,638,125 in loans funded

80,527 loans made

We just broke the $6 million milestone in May, and we're already chugging along nicely toward $8 million! Hope we get to welcome our 1000th member soon. :-:
That is absolutely great! The spirit of Christmas at work every day.
KRSW and Ceres like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Does anyone know how kiva decides when a loan will move from delinquent to default? I have one that's been "paying back delinquent" for the past 7 months (final repayment scheduled for July 1, 2019, only part repaid, no action since). I'm not too upset - this would be my first default out of 72 loans if/when it happens, and my $1.55 is likely making more of a difference for someone in the current situation in Lebanon than it would back in my hands. I'm just curious how the decision is made that there's no more hope of getting paid back.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lmagnott
Does anyone know how kiva decides when a loan will move from delinquent to default? I have one that's been "paying back delinquent" for the past 7 months (final repayment scheduled for July 1, 2019, only part repaid, no action since). I'm not too upset - this would be my first default out of 72 loans if/when it happens, and my $1.55 is likely making more of a difference for someone in the current situation in Lebanon than it would back in my hands. I'm just curious how the decision is made that there's no more hope of getting paid back.
I’ll be keeping my eyes in this thread as well. (Fortunately, I’ve only had 3-4 defaults over the years and many loans.)
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
At ~$250k/month, it won't take long at all to reach $8M. Also, a quick glance of the stats, I think we might have the highest $ per member out of any of the teams out there.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.