Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JY1024
3 months later...time for another update.

As of today (24 April 2015), we're at:

508 Team Members
$1,298,250 Amount Loaned
24,725 Loans

Just a little more, and we'll have hit 25K loans! :-:
What a long way we've come since August 2008, when Kiva was approved for FlyerTalk TalkBoard, and a few months later (27 Feb 2009) we had a team of ten with 55 loans worth $1,375.

Here we are, well over a million bucks! Way to go, FT Kiva Team!
Old May 17, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I love Kiva. I didn't know that Flyertalk has their own Kiva account thingie. I'll have to check it out.

A few of us at an office I used to work at used to do the loans first thing Monday morning and you'd hear us call out "I've got one for 3 cows in Sudan".

I have a credit at the moment. I must re-loan.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:39 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I love Kiva. I didn't know that Flyertalk has their own Kiva account thingie. I'll have to check it out.

A few of us at an office I used to work at used to do the loans first thing Monday morning and you'd hear us call out "I've got one for 3 cows in Sudan".

I have a credit at the moment. I must re-loan.
^ Would love to have you join our team! http://www.kiva.org/team/flyertalkers

(As you probably know, you can join as many teams as you'd like, but you can only attribute each loan to count against the totals of one team.)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:33 pm

The delinquency rate for Kiva loans has increased dramatically this month. Anyone else notice this? I have a fair bit of money that is delinquent and now I am hesitant to loan more till these get paid.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by cyclotron
The delinquency rate for Kiva loans has increased dramatically this month. Anyone else notice this? I have a fair bit of money that is delinquent and now I am hesitant to loan more till these get paid.
I'm fairly new to kiva... But the last couple of months I've only had one delinquent loan and this month I have seven (out of ~130). I'm not overly concerned as I think the FP's are just overwhelmed with loans right now judging by the number of loans still in fundraising.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:00 am

I was going to help out to good causes by being a Kiva donor. But the last few post had me stop and rethink before committing.
I've always thought from reading about Kiva that delinquency was very rare
So just what happens when a loan is delinquent, do you lose all your money or parts of? Sounds risky with no guarantees of any safe returns. I don't mind loaning money with no interest but also don't want to lose my money in the process.
I had thought about loaning out about $2-4000. Notice many loans are relatively small like $25 or so. That would mean I have to do something like 150 loans. Sound very time consuming or am I reading it all wrong.
Sorry as I'm a newbie to this so maybe newbie questions and anxiety. I want to get a feel from others that have been at this for awhile. Just want to make not only a good decision by helping but also an educated one.
Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It really depends what loans you pick. Last year capital one was matching 'loans' to US based Kiva affiliates and I put quite a bit of loans there. Many of them defaulted.

I'm administering 1000$ donated to Kiva in 2009 and 2010 during the SMD1 & SMD2, basically re-lending all repayments as they become available:

View Screen Capture

With each default, the pot shrinks a bit. So far I've lost 240$ of 1000 over about 4-5 years. I continue to relend, but in general I'm very skeptical of Kiva and how they handle defaults.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It really depends what loans you pick. Last year capital one was matching 'loans' to US based Kiva affiliates and I put quite a bit of loans there. Many of them defaulted.
I'm new to Kiva, but have investigated similar things (Prosper, Lending Club) and have no illusions -- these are often the lenders of last resort, especially for US loans. If these people could get a loan with a bank, they would.

As a result, I'm much more inclined to make loans to rural areas where banks are uncommon and these NGOs may be the only organized form of loans available. I also look at the Field Partners' track records. The longer the FP's been on Kiva, the more loans they've made, and hopefully the more they've learned. I'd like to believe the stories provided are true although the cynic in me does question them. Despite that, I'm far more inclined to loan to someone who has an established business or a venture with a good chance for success.

I'm sorry, but I'm NOT going to fund a wedding on there, no matter how well the story is written. Going into debt for a wedding is madness, no matter the country you live in.

I also looked at the profiles of people who've made a high number of loans, figuring that they've been burned a few times, and follow their moves. No different than following expert investors.

I'll be honest -- I'm doing Kiva for MS/min spend requirements. I have plenty of true charitable giving I do throughout the year and have a 100% "default rate" with that. With Kiva, if there's some defaults, I just view it as more charitable giving.

As with all MS, and any investment for that matter, you should never have more exposure than you can safely handle losing.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

I'm pretty certain the field 'partners' get their cut and don't have such a high default rate. As I curate these 1000$ once collected at two FT events I have no personal stake in it, but it really bugs me how Kiva & co harp on about helping the downtrodden, but when things go south they offload the entire damage to the people who fund them.

Speaking of US loans, today while relending 50$ I came across this request: http://www.kiva.org/lend/984755

This applicant clearly works her butt off in 2-3 jobs and still doesn't realise that taking part in pyramid retail schemes is a stupid idea.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:55 am

Oliver: I do wonder if it'd be possible to have some sort of insurance on these loans. If the Kiva default rates are what they claim (which the skeptic in me does question), the costs for doing this would be minimal. I also wonder if Kiva charges the NGOs/FPs interest. If so, we're not seeing any of it. If they did, the interest could easily cover whatever insurance coverage people might elect to take.

I just looked at that US loan you posted. Sadly, she'll probably make far more as a bartender than she will with the Mary Kay stuff. I have a few friends and family who are bartenders and they don't own Gulfstreams, but they certainly aren't hurting either.

On the US loans, I worry about the size and length of some of the loans. This one disturbs me: http://www.kiva.org/lend/984708 $6800 (~$5800 backing out interest) for a new AC in Deltona, Florida? I seriously question this -- it should only cost ~$2k-3k for a change-out in Deltona. I also question the borrow's ability to repay. Chances are they have a mortgage and car loan to pay as well. Will they be able to afford the extra $120/month? For that matter, will Kiva still be around in 5 years? I sympathize for her, but can't help but feel she's getting taken by all parties involved.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Just noticed I hit a round $25,000 in loans today!

Loans: 929
To Team FlyerTalk: $23,700

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 28, 2016 at 7:55 pm
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Just noticed I hit a round $25,000 in loans today!
Awesome!!! ^^^ My next loan will be my 666th. Maybe I can find a devilishly appropriate borrower to celebrate with
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:05 am

Code:
Quit Team?
Impact   Updated Hourly
Team Members
$1,849,225
Amount Loaned
Loans
Loans per member
Rankings Across All Teams
#8 for Amount Loaned (Last Month)
Rankings In Common Interest Category
#6 for Amount Loaned (This Month)
#6 for Amount Loaned (Last Month)
For a rather moderate group ranking #8 is strange...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skitch23
Awesome!!! ^^^ My next loan will be my 666th. Maybe I can find a devilishly appropriate borrower to celebrate with
That's great! And very funny, considering it's the very antithesis to evil.^
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Code:
Quit Team?
Impact   Updated Hourly
Team Members
$1,849,225
Amount Loaned
Loans
Loans per member
Rankings Across All Teams
#8 for Amount Loaned (Last Month)
Rankings In Common Interest Category
#6 for Amount Loaned (This Month)
#6 for Amount Loaned (Last Month)
For a rather moderate group ranking #8 is strange...
As well:

Team Flyertalk

Team members: 569
Loans: 32,340
Lent: $1,849,775

and we're growing:

2013: $219,925
2014: $471,675
2015: $805,225

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.