Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 4:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Lot of loans about to expire unfulfilled...
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Happened to stumble upon this thread, so went onto Kiva and made a few loans in honor of July 4th here in the States.
Good for you. Hope you joined the FlyerTalk team and attributed your loans to it.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Heh. Check JY1024 out - he has a LOT of loans under his belt and attributed to the FlyerTalk Lending Team.

Now we are up to $475,100 in loans, 12,062 loans from 392 members - 30.8 loans per member, which is stellar. (Actually we've got a few more, because I hit some repaid money and lent it back out.)

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Good for you. Hope you joined the FlyerTalk team and attributed your loans to it.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:24 pm

Just added another loan to the FT team and a new country for me, Somalia.

Info on this new field partner here: Abaarso School of Science and Technology
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just saw the FT team cross the 500k line!

$501,500
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002

$501,500
Just noticed this too ^
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Kiva loans really do change people's lives, and here are some stories that show how

The Flyertalk team has made over 12,500 loans, but we very rarely get to hear how our loans really impact the borrowers. Sometimes Kiva staff file reports about the impact of loans on borrowers they've met. Those are great, but they are not the same as hearing directly from the borrowers themselves.

On Kiva Zip direct communication is possible and dozens of messages are shared every day. I have made 220 Kiva Zip loans and have communicated with many of these borrowers. Today I compiled a few dozen quotes from my borrowers which show the impact these loans have had on their lives, businesses, families, communities and more. I invite you to also read how grateful they are for these loans. We have touched their lives. Now let them touch your heart by reading some of their stories:

(Note: most of these quotes are from Kenyan borrowers, plus a few from the U.S. I have edited slightly when there were clear misspellings as for many of these people English is a second or third language)

Stories from Kiva Zip borrowers

Hey guys i hope you all doing Well. I Want to take this opportunity to thank all of You for the Money You’ve lend me. so far my business is doing well and i can manage to Pay my child school fee Without problem like before.
Emmanuel, Zip Borrower

First am still very thankful to my lenders. my farming business has been
doing well and i have a lot of progress since i got the loan from
my kiva lenders , this makes me happy because without any working
capital in any business you can’t make steps . But in my case,
i have been doing well because of the loan i got from my kiva lenders .

The loan i got from my lenders has helped me very much to progress such
that i can produce food to my surrounding community & some schools i our
area , they are very happy with my farming because it helps them get food just
within the location without walking a long distance.
Jane

Hi guys. am very happy to deliver this good news to you. since i took a loan of ksh.10,000, my business and my life has changed so much. my business has been doing very well, the stock i now have is twice what i had before, and even my income has grown to almost double. i have alot to say, but let me simply say that the loan brought a very positive impact in my life. LET ME THANK ALL THAT CONTRIBUTED to this SUCCESS. thank you so much, may God bless you.
Charles

I convey my thanks for lending me 25 dollars within a short span of time. you came as angels for me and i will always pray for your happiness. your names is included in the list of my prayers. i am highly obliged for lending me money in time of need. May the almighty God bless u all! Yours truly,
Nashon !

I thank God for kiva program, it has really transformed my life. thanks
Jacob

To my lenders. Hi, glad to let you know that out of 140pcs Africa maps puzzle I intend to produce i have managed to produce 68pcs and have sold them and i'm still processing the rest. In fact the loan have helped the business to grow. thanks.
Joshua.

Thank you for your contribution be blessed abundantly
Thank you for the loan it has boosted my biz from one level to another
Evans

Last month the business went well because I went for stock more than 5 times and selling all and getting a good profit.
Diana

Dear lenders, i really appreciate for your support. The business is improving! There is an increase in sales and am planning to employ one employee. God bless you.
Obed

hello kiva zip i want to thank you on what you have done in my life, though it’s not easy but i have managed to catch up, i also thank those who just decided to take their money and give out to help those who were in a very deep ditch like me to be lifted up, be blessed
Caroline

Hi, thanks to all my lenders who has made my business grow. Your money helped me a lot and up to this point, I have make a big step. Thank you need and God bless you so much
Gladys

Thank you so much everybody for making my loan happen! If you wondered where I'd vanished to since the loan was complete let me give you a brief update.
First it took me a while to get used to it. The money was in my bank in the blink of an eye and I paid my security deposit on the lease, ordered my door sign and business cards, designed my postcards, planned my grand opening and first Community PAUSE event. My website is up and running and I learned how to have it accept credit card payments too.
Today I got the keys to the space, the utilities are in my name, the movers come on Tuesday, and my friend bought me the paint! The art hanging system has been researched. And shows and events have been planned well into the spring of 2014! Everyone is so eager to be part of this—they tell me they need a chance to PAUSE!
Needless to say, none of this would have been so thrilling if it wasn't for all your support, encouragement, and helpful advice. So thank you again.
Sushmita

Am very grateful to Kiva & all the lenders who not only entrusted me with their money, but also had the best of will for me. In July, the net income significantly increased that i was able increase my salary and still remain with reasonable amount to reinvest. I am really impressed. Thanx a lot
Collins

It’s so amazing to find friendship and connect with people who believe in your business even without physical meeting. Thumbs up our lenders, you truly make a difference. Thank you so much. you are among the best.
Peninah, trustee
for the past month i have seen an improvement in business. i have more customer than before. i am happy. thanks a lot kiva and to all my lenders may God bless you all.
Serah

I just want to thank all of you for contributing towards my loan. Wao! Its really wonderful to see the loan being funded in just one day. This clearly shows the trust and confidence the lenders have in me and how they would like to see me succeed in life. Thanks once again to all of you for your kindness I'll do my best to achieve my goals Great!
Dennis

I thank GOD for giving me a new friend from far away who is willing to help me. That loan will help me very much in preparing my garden and buying fertilizers. Thanks.
The botanic treasers ltd. Mr. Bob Mr Torry Mr Trevor. Thank you for the Loan you have lent me, in the month of May 2013 being sh.10,000. It helped me and my family by increasing the yield in my farm, that I harvested more than I expected. Thank you all and be blessed by Our Creator & Almighty GOD. Yours .
Charles.

To my lenders, I am so grateful for supporting my project. I have managed to finish my poultry house and now I have increased the number of chicken to 100 broilers from 30. In three months period I expect to raise the weekly egg supply by around 300 per week. I believe that in the near future I will also be able to help some in need as you did to me. God bless you and thank you for all your help.
Kim

Everybody thank you for helping us reach our goal. And Ellen thank you for your kind words. Its only been a matter of weeks and look where we are now. We've started this journey of ours for some time and along the way met obstacles but that hasn't deterred us away. With the funds we're receiving now we feel that this will provide us much relief and help us carry onward in our journey. Again, we'd like to thank everybody and Kiva for giving us this wonderful opportunity.
Phea

Thank you all my lenders for your support. We have made very remarkable steps with our fishing business. I can now financially sustain my family.
We are planning to expand this business to offer employment opportunity to four youths in the community. Either Michael or I will manage this already established one together with two youths and then start a new set with two other youths from repeat loan. Thank you and hope you will support us again as we plan to grow to the next level.
Michael and Robinson

Hi everyone,
I wanted to give you a quick update on Lydali! We're now working with over 50 artisan suppliers in 27 different countries, and we're bringing new products in all the time. One of my favorite stories is from one of our partners in Cambodia. Home-based artisans make take bullet casings and bombshells that they find littering the countryside leftover from years of civil war, melt them down, and make really cool bracelets and bangles with the brass from the bullets and bombshells. Thanks so much for your support!
Ali

Hi kiva I appreciate for your loans which has been of great help to my business. I was able to buy more baking tins, weighing scale, and improved my living standards. I have faced many challenges towards my business due to the weather and my husband’s sickness. But in all, God has given me the strength.
Caroline

Hullo thank you for acknowledging receipt of the loan repayment money. For the last one month I have made progress. The most exciting thing is patients from far community have come for services they got information from friends who have visited us for care or help. Challenges patients have come asking for the services we have not started providing -- immunizations ante natal care some lab tests.
Janet

Dear Bob I'm very grateful for playing a very vital role of boosting my solar and energy business. God bless you abundantly.
Dorcas

I want to thank you once again BOB, ALI, ANDERS, NICOLE and PIERRE for your support. My business is picking and i hope in ALMIGHTY FATHER it will advance. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND THE WORK OF YOUR HANDS. AMEN.
Joseph

Dear my lenders, Receive much greetings. I’m grateful for your assistance. my business is doing very well. I can now buy decent meals for my family. God bless you
Pierre

Good news, through kiva loan, my stock has variety of products that has attracted many people. some customers have even hinted to me what i should add again in my business, though that was part of my future plan. they are very positive about my business as they see it expand. thanks a lot.
Beatrice, Zip Borrower

ever since kiva came to my life, my business has change drastically, i never had imported soles, but now i have them. the only challenge that i have is to turn my shop into a one stop shop, God willing i know kiva will turn it
Saul

Hello Alessandro, Greg, Jim, Evan and Bob,
I want to thank you for your help as I have been able to reach a couple of groups in the rural areas. They are really happy as Moringa is helping them health wise. Many have reported good, energetic health and are able to work well in their farms and also do many things they had stopped doing due to ill health.
I am still reaching out to more groups and am able to do this because of you. I appreciate.

Hello Allesandro, Greg, Jim, Evan and Bob,
Want to thank you again for the assistance you provided. My clients will never be the same because of you.
I am still visiting the rural areas with the hope of reaching more people. I have attached a photo for the latest visit I had in one of the remote area, i pitched a small tent in a field and they came to listen, this way they are able to spread the word. From the few whom I meet, we liaise and at a later date are able to organize for a seminar like setting thus enabling me to teach on good nutritional habits for longer life full of energy. I must say they are really appreciative of the services am offering as I do not charge them being that they are well able.
God bless
Regards,
Rachel

The last one month has been the best of my life as I have helped transform the lives of 50 farmers in organic farming! Due to training them on how to compost and make pest repellants using effective microorganisms, they have been able to save on fertilizer and pesticides thus increasing their income due to low cost of production and increased yields! All these could not have been possible if it were not for my sponsors. God bless you so much!
Georges

Thanks to the loan from KIVA we have been selling tamales and fresh juices at the Hollywood Farmers Market in Portland, Oregon. Thanks to your support we have earned enough money to pay back the loan and purchase new equipment for our business such as a banner, business cards and a new tamale pot. Thanks again for your support and if you are in Portland please come and visit us at the market!
Graciela
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

I just reloaned some money and was surprised to see a number of people listed as "anonymous". When did that begin? And why? Or has it always been that way and I never noticed?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I just reloaned some money and was surprised to see a number of people listed as "anonymous". When did that begin? And why? Or has it always been that way and I never noticed?
Were they from Apoyo Integral in El Salvador? This program started sometime in the past year and I think they all list the name as "anonymous".

This loan is part of a pilot project Apoyo Integral is launching in conjunction with several local NGOs to support at-risk youth and their families with funding from Kiva. This loan product is tailored to young people who find themselves in high-risk situations because they are located in areas affected by extreme violence. Loans are combined with vocational, technical, and financial training to help these young people develop business ideas that will help them generate income, reintegrate into society, and support their dreams of being productive and contributing members of society.

Due to potential safety risks facing these youth, some of the loans are being disbursed to their parents in order to protect their identities. For the same reason, the faces of some Apoyo Integral borrowers may be blurred in photos. Apoyo Integral appreciates Kiva lenders' understanding of these challenges and encourages them to provide much-needed support to at-risk Salvadoran youth.

There are some field partners in Lebanon and Iraq that blur the face in the picture but for the most part use the real first name.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That is indeed momentous and great cause to celebrate!

Now, working on the next half-million.

Originally Posted by oliver2002

$501,500
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:23 pm

Just finding out about Kiva. Looks like a good org. with a good cause. I wish to contribute but have a few question before jumping in.
I have read that the loans are not 100% guaranteed so chance of losing whatever you put in. I don't mind loaning the money interest free but have anyone actually heard of anyone defaulting on any loans? Also, are there any guidelines to which loans (ex. Which countries, professions etc. are riskier and to be avoided and which ones are safer)2

Also not sure if I got to the right page on Kiva, but all the loans seem so small, like $25/loan. Is there a way to up the amts if I like a particular biz?
Just want to know from experienced FTers that have been involved with Kiva if they had any negative problems. Just what'd to know as much as possible from actual users and not just from reading from critics. Note: some of the critics have not been favorable to Kiva, saying its too risky, it's a loan scam with high interest charges to lenders etc.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sharka
No loan to any organization (including governments) is 100% guaranteed. With the KIVA charity the overall default rate is very low (<1%?). There is also a possible currency exchange risk with some loans, as loans are usually in local currency and not USD. The field partners default rate, delinquency rate & risk rating is shown. The field partner on-loans to the local person/group.

The minimum loan to any person/group is $25. You can increase this to as much as you like.

Spread your money around to different countries & different local field partners.
Now I only add to a loan another FlyerTalker has made. I never start a new loan.

http://www.kiva.org/team/flyertalkers/loans
http://www.kiva.org/lend/609477 :- 1 loan still needing funding (1st in the list)
http://www.kiva.org/team/flyertalkers

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 28, 2013 at 10:24 pm
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by sharka
Just finding out about Kiva. Looks like a good org. with a good cause. I wish to contribute but have a few question before jumping in.
I have read that the loans are not 100% guaranteed so chance of losing whatever you put in. I don't mind loaning the money interest free but have anyone actually heard of anyone defaulting on any loans? Also, are there any guidelines to which loans (ex. Which countries, professions etc. are riskier and to be avoided and which ones are safer)2

Also not sure if I got to the right page on Kiva, but all the loans seem so small, like $25/loan. Is there a way to up the amts if I like a particular biz?
Just want to know from experienced FTers that have been involved with Kiva if they had any negative problems. Just what'd to know as much as possible from actual users and not just from reading from critics. Note: some of the critics have not been favorable to Kiva, saying its too risky, it's a loan scam with high interest charges to lenders etc.
Kiva's default rate is just under 1% with a very slow decline over the years. Some field partners have 0% default rate or very close to 0% default rate. Kiva offers various ways to search for loans by default rate, if that is a concern for you. I have made 1200+ Kiva loans, and have made many loans to newer, riskier field partners. My personal default rate is 0.36%.
In other words, there is little risk on Kiva.
There is no limit to the size of the loan you can make, it just has to be in $25 increments.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:33 pm

Just joined! Member #400. Excited to start helping entrepreneurs and earning miles while doing it.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Kiva - Repayment Frequency?

I thought I read that Kiva restricts the frequency with which they'll cut you a check to repay you for completed loans. Does the frequency vary depending on the total value of the loans?

I'd appreciate it anyone can provide information on this. I need to estimate the number of points I might earn annually from Kiva loans.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.