Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by PhillyFive
Well, this is a terrific idea and I am glad to say that I have just joined the FT-Kiva team..!!

Thanks to all FTers for participating...!!! ^^
May this be the first of many good loans for you. ^
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

Well, this is a terrific idea and I am glad to say that I have just joined the FT-Kiva team..!!
Welcome!

I added a bit for them.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome and congratulations!

That loan is now - fully funded. ^

My first loan is to a "communal bank, named "San Pablo", made up of 19 entreprenuers who make a living though different fields, among which are: bread sales, a Minimarket, clothing sales, a furniture store, perfume sales, jewelry sales, and services, among others. All of the members belong to the city of Osorno."

Lots of potential impact for just a few $$$..

http://www.kiva.org/lend/478647

They are trying to raise $4,900 and there is only $325 to go after my first loan of $200 went to them...I hope others will pitch in to get this one done. It has a pretty quick repayment schedule, so it's a good one for anyone (like me) trying to get loans out fast and then have the repayments to recycle in 2013.

Thanks to all FTers for participating...!!! ^^
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to the team, tcook052!

Reading upstream, there are some good posts regarding selecting risk, etc.
Originally Posted by JY1024
Woohoo! Welcome to the team, tcook052! ^
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I used a work incentive, a quarterly bonus you could call it, to fund my first loan tonight and while small I look to make more.

The loan I chose was to helps Angela Monserrate to purchase rice, sugar, cooking oil, detergent, cold meats, and other goods and her outline is here:

http://www.kiva.org/lend/473322
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by tcook052

I used a work incentive, a quarterly bonus you could call it, to fund my first loan tonight and while small I look to make more.

The loan I chose was to helps Angela Monserrate to purchase rice, sugar, cooking oil, detergent, cold meats, and other goods and her outline is here:

Good start!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:06 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tcook052

No loan is small! It may seem like a small amount to you, but to others, it's far more than they could imagine, and it holds the potential to greatly impact many lives.

When I started, I made 1 loan, using "free" money, i.e., a sponsor who covered the cost. I added a $25 loan of my own a month later, and then didn't make an additional loan for another 6 months. I figure that I loan what I can, when I can, knowing that even one $25 loan has the potential to greatly change someone else's life.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:59 am

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome and congratulations!

That loan is now - fully funded. ^
I saw it fully funded only a few minutes after I posted here - amazing..!!

And thanks to everyone for the welcome messages - I look forward to our community making a difference with many loans to follow.

Next project - I plan to give a Kiva gift card to one of my kids this weekend as a birthday present. Just think - he will be able to make loans to help folks in the developing world become self-sufficient, but if he ever decides he might need the cash himself, he can let the repayments flow in and recover $$ that way....since he doesn't need cash now (but who knows what the future might hold)...an almost perfect gift I think..!!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I think gift cards and "free" loans (see kipper's post above) gifted to kids are a great idea! They begin learning a bit about geography, business, travel, cultures, finance... and begin to develop (hopefully) ideas about being globally connected.

I saw it fully funded only a few minutes after I posted here - amazing..!!

And thanks to everyone for the welcome messages - I look forward to our community making a difference with many loans to follow.

Next project - I plan to give a Kiva gift card to one of my kids this weekend as a birthday present. Just think - he will be able to make loans to help folks in the developing world become self-sufficient, but if he ever decides he might need the cash himself, he can let the repayments flow in and recover $$ that way....since he doesn't need cash now (but who knows what the future might hold)...an almost perfect gift I think..!!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Just relent ( http://www.kiva.org/lend/465230 - he only has 4 hours left!) but I noticed for the first time in 2 or 3 years on Kiva, I now have my first ever delinquent payment... that's really not bad.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

I've collected a couple of those. Half the time it was the lending organisation's fault, half the time the borrower's - and most of the time there has been at least partial repayment. When I think how much we can spend on boutique coffees and the like and put it in scale, I don't worry about it. Welcome to the club.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Just relent ( http://www.kiva.org/lend/465230 - he only has 4 hours left!) but I noticed for the first time in 2 or 3 years on Kiva, I now have my first ever delinquent payment... that's really not bad.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
In fairness, she has repaid 2/3rds so far, so it may be a temporary thing. I don't stand to lose a lot as a result, but I don't have a massive amount in Kiva, I just try to keep it recycling frequently so it takes it out of a small pot of money to begin with. It's not my loss I bemoan, it's the loss to what I can do with it in helping others. But it may be caught up with anyway.

But you don't go into Kiva and expect never to have problems - i've had a good run of loaners up until now
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:31 am

If you've gone 2-3 years with only one delinquent payment, then you are doing amazingly well. It is normal for 2-3% of all loans to be delinquent.
I've had many dozens of loans go delinquent, sometimes just a few pennies for a month, sometimes most of the loan and for many months. Nearly all delinquent loans get caught up eventually.
A few months ago my delinquency rate exceeded 15%. Now it's about 4%, and still dropping.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:07 am

Repayments are starting to hit. I now have 5 loans that have been paid back in full!

I just used some of my credit to lend to Manana
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kipper
Repayments are starting to hit. I now have 5 loans that have been paid back in full!
Whoa - just a few days of repayments, and I've already gotten more than my estimated repayments for the month? ^

Now off to make more loans...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
Whoa - just a few days of repayments, and I've already gotten more than my estimated repayments for the month? ^

Now off to make more loans...
Someone used my referral link to make a loan, so now I have a $25 bonus as well. While I won't see that money paid back to me to relend, I'm still excited to have a bonus $25 to lend.

I opted to donate it to Banco Del Desarrollo Group.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.