Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:54 pm

Good news Bad news

I loaned Wilber $25. I credited it to KivaKY1230.

But you guys called Wilbur to my attention so I owe you a credit. just had promised KivaKY1230 my next loan.

The name of the game is to make loans. Where it is credited is nt that important.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:20 am

Please help Moses -- http://www.kiva.org/lend/434198. Just $200 needed and 5 hours to go. This is an 8 month loan in Uganda to buy bags of dry cocoa to sell. Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Boom! Fully funded. ^

Here's another we could lose - though as KyRoamer says, it's really all good, I hate to see folks possibly be approved and not receive funding.

"You made a loan to Las Americas Group, and this loan has raised $1,875 of $3,250 so far. If this loan does not receive $1,375.00 more in the next day, it will expire."

Of this group, one beneficiary of lend money would be Maria, who makes shoes and seeks to buy a shoe polishing machine to aid her small business.

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Please help Moses -- http://www.kiva.org/lend/434198. Just $200 needed and 5 hours to go. This is an 8 month loan in Uganda to buy bags of dry cocoa to sell. Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JDiver
Boom! Fully funded. ^

Here's another we could lose - though as KyRoamer says, it's really all good, I hate to see folks possibly be approved and not receive funding.

"You made a loan to Las Americas Group, and this loan has raised $1,875 of $3,250 so far. If this loan does not receive $1,375.00 more in the next day, it will expire."

Of this group, one beneficiary of lend money would be Maria, who makes shoes and seeks to buy a shoe polishing machine to aid her small business.
I just loaned $25 to them, so they are down to $1,350 needed.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:09 pm

Boom! Fully funded. ^

$25 to Wilbur and $50 to Las Americas Group.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kipper
We also seem to have gained a team member, as we're now up to 297 team members, with 6,922 loans, for a total of $240,475 in loans!!!
Wow! Look how far we've come since June 20! :-:

302 team members
7,103 loans
Total Amount Loaned: $247,525

I'm thrilled and honored to be part of such an awesome team! ^
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:02 pm

Some interesting stats from the team graph page:

About 70% of FT loans have gone to females, while 30% have gone to men. This has held since the team started.

Currently, the top three loan sectors are (in order) food, retail, and agriculture.

Currently, Peru has received twice as many loans as Paraguay, but the total amount of loaned money to Paraguay is about 30% greater than that loaned to Peru (~$39k to ~$31k).
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:04 am

My pet peeve with Kiva is the delay in receving emails about receiving repayments. On July 8, I received an email that said:

Between June 15, 2012 and June 24, 2012 a total of $XX.XX has been repaid into your Kiva account. Below is an update on your Kiva portfolio.
Prompt notice of repayments would be nice, so I could re-lend immediately. I've learned to check the last week of the month to see if I've received repayments, but still.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:34 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
+1 Kiva's IT system definitely still has some improvements that could be made! However, I do admit that I've seen some pretty good improvements to their platform in the <2 years I've been on the site. ^

I've gotten in the habit of checking for repayments the morning of the 15th of every month. Probably 80% of my months repayments come in between the 15th-17th of the month, with the balance trickling in through the end of the month.

In the past, I always noticed a big influx of loans starting on the 1st of the month, but now it seems like loans are getting posted more regularly throughout the month. On the downside, it does seem like more loans are expiring without being fully funded.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
+1 Kiva's IT system definitely still has some improvements that could be made! However, I do admit that I've seen some pretty good improvements to their platform in the <2 years I've been on the site. ^

I've gotten in the habit of checking for repayments the morning of the 15th of every month. Probably 80% of my months repayments come in between the 15th-17th of the month, with the balance trickling in through the end of the month.

In the past, I always noticed a big influx of loans starting on the 1st of the month, but now it seems like loans are getting posted more regularly throughout the month. On the downside, it does seem like more loans are expiring without being fully funded.
I usually have one or two repayments on the 15th, but the bulk of mine seem to be there about a week later.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

For those who have made loans to the "Rincones del Sur" Village Bank, this update has arrived; they have repaid 67% of their loan of $5,750. I find it most interesting, as it also shows how a Kiva partner supports a cellular structure for loans, using education, collaboration and peer support to help ensure loan success:

The "Rincones del Sur" Village Bank is in the city of Osorno.

The loan was received during the month of February 2012. Ximena, President of the Banco Comunal (Village Bank) group, used her portion to purchase seafood stuffing* for the preparation of her empanadas.

She comments that as of the date of her credit to her business has functioned positively, increasing the sale of her empanadas.

She is very pleased and thankful for the opportunity to invest in her business that the Esperanza Fund has offered. As well, she feels very comfortable with the group since it is committed and collaborative. She also comments that (the loan) has enabled her to create new sales strategies.

What is a village bank at FE (Fondo Esperanza)?

Fondo Esperanza funds economic activities through Village Banks, which are groups of 18-25 people who live in the same area and join together in order to collectively receive small loans. Each Village Bank serves as a weekly or bi-weekly meeting space in which members track repayments, monitor the evolution of group members' businesses, and receive entrepreneurial education sessions. Group members provide one another with a solidarity guarantee of repayment, meaning that if one member does not repay their loan, the rest of the group will. Each group member has an independent business. Each Village Bank serves as a weekly or bi-weekly meeting space in which members track repayments, monitor the evolution of group members' businesses, and receive entrepreneurial education sessions. For more on Fondo Esperanza's Village Banks, check out their partner page here: http://www.kiva.org/about/aboutPartner?id=157.

* the Kiva translation of "sausages" for "embutidos" in this instance is incorrect; Ximena is buying seafood stuffing to make empanadas, not sausages.
Original update, in Castilian Spanish:

El Banco comunal "Rincones del Sur" perteneciente a la ciudad de Osorno.

Recibió su préstamo durante el mes de Febrero del año 2012. Ximena, presidenta del grupo el Banco Comunal, por su parte compró mariscos embutidos para la preparación de sus empanadas.

Comenta que desde la fecha del crédito su negocio ha funcionado de manera positiva mejorando las ventas de sus empanadas.

Ella está muy contenta y agradecida de la oportunidad que le ha brindado Fondo Esperanza para invertir en su negocio. Además se siente muy cómoda con el grupo ya que es comprometido y colaborador. Comenta también que las capacitaciones le han ayudado para crear nuevas estrategias de venta.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:57 am Reason: add URL
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Here's a risky loan if you are up to it

A team that is fundraising currently is the Sarah Group in Taiz, Yemen. Sarah Group consists of five members: Walia, Fenon, Amriah, Fuadh, and Amirh. They took a loan of 240,000 YER ($1,125) from AMB.

"Walia is a hardworking 31-year-old mother directorate. She has three children. She lives in Taiz, Yemen. She is the woman standing in the middle in the photo. She has been selling clothing. She has applied for this loan of 40,000 YER in order to buy more of fabric and baby clothes so she can start doing advanced work. She hopes to open her own clothing store to increase her capital."

This is a risky loan - as they used to say in the Peace Corps, high risk, high return. Yemen is an unstable place at the moment, governmentally and in terms of the radical Islamic Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (Arabic: القاعدة في جزيرة العرب‎, Al-Qaida fi Jazirat al-'Arab) (AQAP). OTOH, I believe this is exactly the best "weapon" at our disposal to let the people of Yemen know there is a better way.

I do make the occasional one I assess to have more risk with possibility of high return. I have lost some money - I have had four in over 500 loans default - mostly due to the lending microfinance organization's instability. In this instance, I would be out $100. Wanna join me in a risky loan?

As it says on the page for this Kiva loan:

Additional Information

About Al-Amal Microfinance Bank

Al-Amal Microfinance Bank is the first registered microfinance institution in Yemen. Al-Amal reaches out to low-income micro-entrepreneurs and small business owners in Yemen with a suite of credit, savings, and insurance products tailored for Muslim borrowers. The recipient of multiple awards for its innovative product offerings, Al-Amal operates 14 branch offices located throughout Yemen, and began lending operations in 2009. To learn more about Al-Amal Microfinance Bank, visit their website or Kiva Field Partner page. When lending through Al-Amal Microfinance Bank, there are two points to consider:

1) Due to on-going security concerns, a Full Due Diligence of Al-Amal was conducted remotely rather than on-site. This makes Al-Amal atypical among Kiva's Field Partners, as Kiva staff have not conducted an on-site due diligence assessment. Al-Amal's assessment included in-person meetings with the top management in other, more secure locations in the Middle East.

2) As Yemen is a new and unstable environment, there is a possibility that future loan repayments could be held indefinitely in the country for regulatory reasons, even if individual borrowers pay back their loans. As a lender to borrowers in Yemen, you would be taking on this additional risk.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:16 pm

A team that is fundraising currently is the Sarah Group in Taiz, Yemen. Sarah Group consists of five members: Walia, Fenon, Amriah, Fuadh, and Amirh. They took a loan of 240,000 YER ($1,125) from AMB.

"Walia is a hardworking 31-year-old mother directorate. She has three children. She lives in Taiz, Yemen. She is the woman standing in the middle in the photo. She has been selling clothing. She has applied for this loan of 40,000 YER in order to buy more of fabric and baby clothes so she can start doing advanced work. She hopes to open her own clothing store to increase her capital."

This is a risky loan - as they used to say in the Peace Corps, high risk, high return. Yemen is an unstable place at the moment, governmentally and in terms of the radical Islamic Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (Arabic: القاعدة في جزيرة العرب‎, Al-Qaida fi Jazirat al-'Arab) (AQAP). OTOH, I believe this is exactly the best "weapon" at our disposal to let the people of Yemen know there is a better way.

I do make the occasional one I assess to have more risk with possibility of high return. I have lost some money - I have had four in over 500 loans default - mostly due to the lending microfinance organization's instability. In this instance, I would be out $100. Wanna join me in a risky loan?
I'll gamble on this one for a few reasons:
  1. I agree with your thought about this being the best "weapon."
  2. I'd love to see women gain more influence in that area, and I know that it helps if they have money, knowledge, and skills.

Besides, my delinquency and default rates are at 0%, so why not gamble?

That takes me to 16 loans total, 1 in fundraising, 1 repaid, and 14 in repayments.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:01 pm

Assuming my calculations are correct, my anticipated repayments in August, if not in July, should be enough to re-lend, without having to add additional money! I realize this is small potatoes for some, but for me, it's big.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Matching Loans

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but Kiva has a program with a partner that matches loans to young entrepreneurs from Arab countries. Used this the other day to lend $50 ($25 of my recent repayments) to someone in Jordan.

http://www.kiva.org/arabyouth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.