Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:53 pm

Repayments trickled in very slowly in the morning of the 15th then picked up as the day progressed. I ended the day at 102% of the estimated repayments. So far I have invested $150 in making the world a better place to live and by month end will be in for another $375, $250 of which will be new money.

If team FlyerTalker is at $245,000 or more I'll put another loan with it. That is less than one more loan per member.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Repayments trickled in very slowly in the morning of the 15th then picked up as the day progressed. I ended the day at 102% of the estimated repayments. So far I have invested $150 in making the world a better place to live and by month end will be in for another $375, $250 of which will be new money.

If team FlyerTalker is at $245,000 or more I'll put another loan with it. That is less than one more loan per member.
I have a whopping $0.85 in repayments as of today. In prior months, they've trickled in throughout the last two weeks of the month, so I'm hoping they'll continue to trickle in this month.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Just joined and am currently making my first set of loans!
Woohoo! That's awesome ^ - glad to have you part of the team!

Repayments trickled in very slowly in the morning of the 15th then picked up as the day progressed. I ended the day at 102% of the estimated repayments.
Originally Posted by kipper
I have a whopping $0.85 in repayments as of today. In prior months, they've trickled in throughout the last two weeks of the month, so I'm hoping they'll continue to trickle in this month.
I've plateaued right now at just shy of 90% of estimated repayments. But I know a few MFIs I loan through sometime pay/process a little later in the month, so I'm sure that by the end of the month, I'll be at about my usual 95-97%.

So far I have invested $150 in making the world a better place to live and by month end will be in for another $375, $250 of which will be new money.

That's great to hear, KyRoamer! Looks like we're at $240,050 right now - come on, we can do it!

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
I've plateaued right now at just shy of 90% of estimated repayments. But I know a few MFIs I loan through sometime pay/process a little later in the month, so I'm sure that by the end of the month, I'll be at about my usual 95-97%.
Just logged in today to see that additional repayments had been processed, including one for my first loan, which is now fully repaid.

I'm still holding off on making another loan, as I should be due another repayment or two.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:15 am

I decided not to wait on my last repayment, and made a loan to Fiqirete to fully fund her loan.

We're now at $240,150, with a total of 6,910 in loans.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:27 am
Community Director Emerita

I just reloaned for 2 loans.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:20 pm

The team is up to $240,250 loaned for a total of 6,915 loans counting my latest, which was to Paata.

Can we perhaps work together to fund Paata's loan? It expires in a day, and he needs $550 to fully fund his loan!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:42 pm

The team is up to $240,250 loaned for a total of 6,915 loans counting my latest, which was to Paata.

Can we perhaps work together to fund Paata's loan? It expires in a day, and he needs $550 to fully fund his loan!
Just loaned $50 to Paata. He's down to $375 to go.

Also, question about the group total loan amount. Does it change once a loan is fully funded?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:49 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just logged in today to see that additional repayments had been processed, including one for my first loan, which is now fully repaid.
w00t w00t! Congrats on having your one of your first loans completely repaid! Hope you feel like the wait was worthwhile.

After seeing your post, I checked my account and apparently I had a few other repayments roll in, too! I'm now just shy of 102% of my month's estimated after a whole bunch of repayments came in from Rwanda and Burundi. (My repayments have been less than 100% the last few months, especially as I have a few loans in Mali. As you can imagine, wiring money in/out isn't the easiest during a military coup.)

Also, question about the group total loan amount. Does it change once a loan is fully funded?
Your individual profile's stats are fairly real-time; the team total on our team page updates at least once a day, but is not necessarily real-time.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:26 am

Just loaned $50 to Paata. He's down to $375 to go.

Thanks! His loan is now fully funded. I love seeing the "fully funded" message.

The group total loan amount updates periodically, at least a few times each day.
Originally Posted by JY1024
w00t w00t! Congrats on having your one of your first loans completely repaid! Hope you feel like the wait was worthwhile.

After seeing your post, I checked my account and apparently I had a few other repayments roll in, too! I'm now just shy of 102% of my month's estimated after a whole bunch of repayments came in from Rwanda and Burundi. (My repayments have been less than 100% the last few months, especially as I have a few loans in Mali. As you can imagine, wiring money in/out isn't the easiest during a military coup.)

Your individual profile's stats are fairly real-time; the team total on our team page updates at least once a day, but is not necessarily real-time.
I thought it was great. I have been very happy thus far.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:12 am

I just received a $25 payment for a mystery shop I completed last month, via PayPal. Because it is easier to simply leave it in PayPal, I've funded another loan, this time to Artur. In the time it took me to post the message here, his loan was fully funded.

If you want immediate gratification of some sort, I suggest looking for loans that are almost fully funded.

We also seem to have gained a team member, as we're now up to 297 team members, with 6,922 loans, for a total of $240,475 in loans!!!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Challenge: FT Team hits $250,000 by the end of 2012! ^

Lend one for the kipper!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Challenge: FT Team hits $250,000 by the end of 2012! ^

Lend one for the kipper!
Cute. I won't be doing any lending until July probably. When I receive my repayments, I'll use those as a base to fund another loan. I'll try to fund either one that's close to being fully funded, or one that is expiring soon, since I seem to like those.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I need to pay more attention to loan term - I don't have a lot of money in Kiva, so need to try to avoid 18 months loans which means I get bugger all back each month
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just sort by amount left then repayment term:

http://www.kiva.org/lend?sortBy=amou...=repaymentTerm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.