Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by User Name
Can anyone explain the significance of the last sentence (bolded by me)?

I'm new to this - a little cautious - and worried now that I won't be able to get my money back easily...?
Kiva loans come with a variety of repayment terms. I have seen 2 month loans and 38 month loans. Also some loans pay at the end of the term, some pay back irregularly, and most pay back monthly.
So, if you are concerned about when you will be paid back, then pay attention to each loan's repayment schedule.
Also, Kiva allows you to withdraw your loan repayments as they come in, if you want to. Generally it takes Kiva about a week to send the money to your paypal account.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by onthego15
Kiva loans come with a variety of repayment terms. I have seen 2 month loans and 38 month loans. Also some loans pay at the end of the term, some pay back irregularly, and most pay back monthly.
So, if you are concerned about when you will be paid back, then pay attention to each loan's repayment schedule.
Also, Kiva allows you to withdraw your loan repayments as they come in, if you want to. Generally it takes Kiva about a week to send the money to your paypal account.
That's what I thought... at least about Kiva.

The post I quoted was about Microplace, and seemed to indicate that the loan must last for at least a year if you want to be able to draw your money out afterwards????

I was thinking of taking shorter loans to begin with as I'm not sure how comfortable I am in tying up my capital right now.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by User Name
That's what I thought... at least about Kiva.

The post I quoted was about Microplace, and seemed to indicate that the loan must last for at least a year if you want to be able to draw your money out afterwards????

I was thinking of taking shorter loans to begin with as I'm not sure how comfortable I am in tying up my capital right now.
If repayment term is important to you when searching for loans, then I suggest using
kivalens.org
It is more accurate than kiva.org/lend in finding shorter term loans.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Is anyone else getting a lot of early repayments at the moment? I've had three loans which have repaid much earlier than expected... Which I'm happy about, as a) it means the loans must be helping the lendees and b) I'm able to recycle the money much more quickly.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Is anyone else getting a lot of early repayments at the moment? I've had three loans which have repaid much earlier than expected... Which I'm happy about, as a) it means the loans must be helping the lendees and b) I'm able to recycle the money much more quickly.
Not many for me. There are some loans which listed back in Oct & Nov that took a while to fill and consequently the first payment is 2 or 3 months worth (and later than it would otherwise have been). That is a function of Kiva having vastly more loans loaded than usual and turning off loan expiry for the holiday season - in order to avoid running out of loans post-Christmas.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Judy" (on Kiva) has sent out a message she is celebrating her 500th loan to Kiva! :-:

We are at:

273 Team Members
5,402 Loans
~ 19.7 Loans per Member
$171,450 Total Amount Loaned

Johnny, Judy is catching up - but I admittedly am a relative piker! and merely closing in on 400 loans. (And had a rare default - Nasir Ahmad Muhammad Sharif defaulted on his loan after repaying $17.99 of the $25 I lent him. Ah, well...)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 21, 2012 at 9:55 pm Reason: correct figgers ;)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SMD 1 & 2 had two defaults in the past 5 weeks... Lost about 10-15$
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Sorry about your loss!

I have to admit making the occasional riskier loan because I knowingly did so but wanted to support a particular borrower's stated reason or loans in a riskier location (e.g. Kenya, Lebanon, etc.) In spite of that, I have a ~1% loan loss (perhaps 4 of 390), and much less than that in terms of money lent, as most loans had repaid over 50%; two of those were because of corrupt activities by NGOs in Kenya and Ecuador.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
SMD 1 & 2 had two defaults in the past 5 weeks... Lost about 10-15$
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Exactly! My reply is a bit tardy but anybody who judges another by amounts lent or number of loans is operating in a vacuum. The idea is we can do what we can - and that's a very good thing, not something to judge.

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
No one can make me feel uncomfortable by giving more, making more, owning a bigger house or more expensive car. I do what I feel is right for me and never look at others except to admire them for participating at their chosen level.

I have team mates who loan $100 for every $1 I loan. Wow!!! It is fantastic that they do so much. But that doesn't mean that I should be ashamed for not doing more.

We all live different lives and have different interests and abilities. I trust others to set their own priorities just as I set mine.

All I want to do is spread the word. I believe many more Flyertalkers would join the team if only they knew and understood what Kiva is and does.

Right now I am comfortable with Kiva as an investment not charity. If I needed my money back, I could have over 90% of it returned in less than 9 months. I assume a 2% loss (so far, it has been zero) and do donate to Kiva a percentage of each loan.

My suggestion to friends is to stay with loan maturities of less than 9 months and have fun relending repayments. Many are doing just that.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
No one can make me feel uncomfortable by giving more, making more, owning a bigger house or more expensive car. I do what I feel is right for me and never look at others except to admire them for participating at their chosen level.

We all live different lives and have different interests and abilities. I trust others to set their own priorities just as I set mine.

All I want to do is spread the word. I believe many more Flyertalkers would join the team if only they knew and understood what Kiva is and does.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Exactly! My reply is a bit tardy but anybody who judges another by amounts lent or number of loans is operating in a vacuum. The idea is we can do what we can - and that's a very good thing, not something to judge.
Hear hear! ^ Just the fact we participate and help spread the word to others already does a world of good! This is certainly not a "my xxx is bigger than yours" competition. I'm extremely humbled and invigorated to be a part of a Kiva team with all of you - together, we make a small difference, one loan at a time.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:06 pm

Since Kiva was founded in 2005:

682,432 Kiva lenders
$280 million in loans
98.88% Repayment rate

Wow. And it is people just like us that makes it happen.

Recruit a friend today.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Each one of us is a drop in a very big bucket - which, without the drops, would be dry.

Since Kiva was founded in 2005:

682,432 Kiva lenders
$280 million in loans
98.88% Repayment rate

Wow. And it is people just like us that makes it happen.

Recruit a friend today.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: kjnc
I'm in

After lurking for a while, I jumped in with both feet today with 4 loans. (maybe it should be four feet then?)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Nah, gets too expensive when you buy shoes!

Congratulations! I just re-lent some, and I am feeling positive we will be responsible for microlending over $200,000 by the end of the year. Amazing! FlyerTalk really rocks.

Impact of FlyerTalkers

Number of Team Members 280
Number of Loans 5,559
Number of Loans per Member 19.9
Total Amount Loaned $178,750
Originally Posted by kjnc
After lurking for a while, I jumped in with both feet today with 4 loans. (maybe it should be four feet then?)

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm Reason: update stats
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnc
That's awesome! ^^ Welcome to the team!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.