Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Who cares - it's neither a 'who is wealthiest' nor a 'who is most generous' competition
I think you are taking this far too personally.

There is no harm done in promoting either, as it all goes to a good cause, lighten up about it.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
There is harm done, if it causes me to feel uncomfortable to be involved in the team because I feel others are attempting to judge my contribution.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
There is harm done, if it causes me to feel uncomfortable to be involved in the team because I feel others are attempting to judge my contribution.
This is true. If it's causing people to question if they can "keep up with the Joneses," by contributing, they may opt not to contribute.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Then do all as 'anonymous' no one is judging you.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:09 pm

No one can make me feel uncomfortable by giving more, making more, owning a bigger house or more expensive car. I do what I feel is right for me and never look at others except to admire them for participating at their chosen level.

I have team mates who loan $100 for every $1 I loan. Wow!!! It is fantastic that they do so much. But that doesn't mean that I should be ashamed for not doing more.

We all live different lives and have different interests and abilities. I trust others to set their own priorities just as I set mine.

All I want to do is spread the word. I believe many more Flyertalkers would join the team if only they knew and understood what Kiva is and does.

Right now I am comfortable with Kiva as an investment not charity. If I needed my money back, I could have over 90% of it returned in less than 9 months. I assume a 2% loss (so far, it has been zero) and do donate to Kiva a percentage of each loan.

My suggestion to friends is to stay with loan maturities of less than 9 months and have fun relending repayments. Many are doing just that.

Last edited by KyRoamer; Nov 7, 2011 at 6:41 am
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
tommy777 has asked me to clarify my 'dual use' comment in post #715: I meant that the MP lending has two purposes: altruism and publicity
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:54 am

As promised, I have credited a loan to our Flyertalk team. Now, in addition to supporting the Milepoint team, I also have loans with Friends of Bob Harris and Flyertalk teams. When the Milepoint team exceeds $1 million, I will make another loan here.

The Milepoint team is closing in on the $1 million mark and will be there this month or next and the Friends of Bob Harris team is now over $1,250,000. If any of you are interested a symbolic show of support for fellow travelers teams, consider making one loan to either or both.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:06 am

Happy Thanksgiving.

Consider a Kiva loan today

and tomorrow and every day.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum

Hi, Just joined the team. I'm been on kiva for a few years and always find it challenging select a business or individual to donate to because there are so many interesting choices!

Is there a particular business this group recommends for donations?

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:13 pm

Maybe I'm just a dummy and missing something, but is there any benefit of joining a team, such as the FT team?

Last edited by OneFlyGuy; Dec 3, 2011 at 3:20 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not a single one to Kiva, borrowers, lenders or any individual, unless one wishes to be part of a larger endeavour and be part of a group effort by members of an Internet BBS helping each other with travel-related issues. I think we only join the FT team because of the camaraderie.

This holiday month it may be time for me to up my ante - I have only $14.63 to lend (and $1,956.35 outstanding). But for the tream, it gets bigger:
  • 265 Members
  • 4,889 loans
  • $149,550 lent
Now, those are some figures to be proud of! Check out who we are here.

Originally Posted by OneFlyGuy
Maybe I'm just a dummy and missing something, but is there any benefit of joining a team, such as the FT team?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:21 pm

Sounds good! I joined the team
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by OneFlyGuy
Sounds good! I joined the team
Welcome to the team. We all lend for different reasons and have different lending styles. Anything you want to share will be welcomed here.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Kiva is hosting a series of Webinars on loaning and Kiva. The next one is today at 1pm EST and the topic is Social Performance Badges, a new system for scoring/identifying Field Partners. If you are interested, here is the link to the webinar:

http://www.kiva.org/updates/kiva/201...troducing.html

For more info on the Social Performance Badges, please see this link:
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome indeed - now we are 267 making a difference! ^

I just re-lent to 8 more individuals, so don't forget to check you r account from time to time - you may have sufficient money repaid to send it out on another mission.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 18, 2011 at 11:55 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.