Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SMD 1&2 just relent 175$ that came back. The 130th loan!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by kipper
I didn't realize you could do that, although I'm a bit partial to selecting certain loans.
Selecting which loan you are going to give to is the best bit!

I keep adding in little bits of money when I can, as a few dollars every couple of months can be spared, but also gradually increases the amount I get to relend. However, it does mean I only donate directly to Kiva occasionally as well
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:54 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Selecting which loan you are going to give to is the best bit!

I keep adding in little bits of money when I can, as a few dollars every couple of months can be spared, but also gradually increases the amount I get to relend. However, it does mean I only donate directly to Kiva occasionally as well
You can add a bit of money to your Kiva account periodically before lending it?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:19 am

No, more like if I get to about $18 dollars, I relend, adding in the additional dollars, knowing I'm slowly building up how much I'm lending. And if the $ decreases against the Ł, then they may get a bit more.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:26 am

No, more like if I get to about $18 dollars, I relend, adding in the additional dollars, knowing I'm slowly building up how much I'm lending. And if the $ decreases against the Ł, then they may get a bit more.
Oh, ok. I thought you'd found some way you could fund your account in small increments without having to fund the minimum to lend.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Re-lending my latest credit today!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Oh, ok. I thought you'd found some way you could fund your account in small increments without having to fund the minimum to lend.
Can you not just use the add credit option?

There are a number of loans which are actually coming close to expiring without being fully funded...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:15 pm

Can you not just use the add credit option?

There are a number of loans which are actually coming close to expiring without being fully funded...
Oh, yes, I guess you can.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 3:44 pm

Milepoint has far fewer users but a bigger and more robust Kiva team. Time for us to find a way to use our membership base to grow our Flyertalk Kiva team. To show my support, I am going to join the Flyertalk team today and will credit a loan to it next month.

As for the Flyertalk Kiva members, keep on lending. These are not donations (donate too though) and quickly come back as repayments and funds to relend. I tried at the start to stay with loans of 1 year or less to get fast repayments.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Milepoint has far fewer users but a bigger and more robust Kiva team. Time for us to find a way to use our membership base to grow our Flyertalk Kiva team.
The last thing a Kiva donation/microlend activity should be is to show if your(team)s is larger than others. MPs lending bonanza has dual use and its been stated a few times that FTs Kiva team is not out to beat anyone but just record who is doing what.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The last thing a Kiva donation/microlend activity should be is to show if your(team)s is larger than others. MPs lending bonanza has dual use and its been stated a few times that FTs Kiva team is not out to beat anyone but just record who is doing what.
My message was not about beating Milepoint but rather about getting more Flyertalk activity. Every loan makes a difference.

The Flyertalk community has always been a warm and caring community. I believe we need to get the word out about Kiva so that more Flyertalkers will join and make loans.

Flyertalk is making a difference but could have even more impact. What can we do to cause that to happen?

I mentioned Milepoint only because it shows that the frequent traveler community supports Kiva. Bigger than Milepoint is the Friends of Bob Harris team. But teams should compete only with themselves. On Bob's birthday I and others at Milepoint joined and made loans.

Kiva allows us to make a difference one $25 loan at a time. It is a cheap feel good and the money can be reloaned over and over. I hope more Flyertalkers will join.

I have joined the Flyertalk team to show my support for its efforts and for Kiva. I'd be honored if this exchange inspires you to make one new Kiva loan and credit it to the team of your choice.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:07 am

Welcome to the team

I think you underestimate the FT Kiva team's impact - given that Randy learned of Kiva on FT (as indeed many of us have), we're responsible for an awful lot of good
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:52 am

Welcome to the team

I think you underestimate the FT Kiva team's impact - given that Randy learned of Kiva on FT (as indeed many of us have), we're responsible for an awful lot of good
Thanks.

I'll make my first FT Kiva loan when my next Kiva pledge comes due or on the 15th when repayments start to flow; sooner maybe.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
[QUOTE=oliver2002;17363928]The last thing a Kiva donation/microlend activity should be is to show if your(team)s is larger than others.

Which begs the question of who has the most active member
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:08 pm

Who cares - it's neither a 'who is wealthiest' nor a 'who is most generous' competition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.