Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
For those who may be interested, it's not too hard to get your loan money back from Kiva. I asked for this month's payments to be returned to my Paypal account. They say it will take 1-3 weeks, but it only took 3-4 days. I went a little overboard in making loans (had over $1100 out at one time) a couple months ago, so now I am trimming back a bit.
Glad to see the team has reached 1600 loans and $49,000.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No question, these are OXEN, mostly if not entirely of species Bos primigenius indicus (Zebu cattle), as opposed to the European-origin cattle we see in the USA (Bos primigenius taurus). Cholula is pretty much on the money, but they USED to be "bulli" before certain criteria were deleted.

Water Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) are quite different (and quite different from African Cape Buffalo (Syncerus caffer), which many people on safari believe are water buffalo.

Edible? Yes, both are.

Originally Posted by giblet
Choula and Dovster, does this mean you were unable to reach an agreement regarding the beast?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Checked my portfolio and found I had $53 in from loans.

We're now up to 165 members, 1607 loans, $49,125.00 lent. Come onnn, FlyerTalk; Champey needs a new pair of shoes!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:31 am
Original Poster

BE SURE to check out giblet's blog reporting in her field visit to Koh Oknha Tey Island, an island of silk weavers who are increasingly being crushed by a lack of market (especially distant from Phnom Penh and in an economically troubled world) and escalating silk prices.

Having spent some time in Cambodia, my heart truly aches for these people and what they have been through in recent history, as it did when we were visiting. I am glad we can help with microloans, but developing markets and transport methods would be the next step.

We are making a difference - $25 can go a long way when we add it to others' loans and pipeline otherwise nonexistent money to local NGOs via Kiva. I had some $ redeposited and have now passed 200 loans.

We are currently at

FlyerTalkers

Number of Team Members 166
Number of Loans 1,637
Number of Loans per Member 9.8
Total Amount Loaned $49,625

$50,000 is just around the corner!

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 24, 2010 at 7:55 pm Reason: add stats
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Smile 50k

couldn't stand the suspense, so i added $375 in more loans so we could break the 50k barrier. not exactly like chuck yeager breaking the SOS barrier, but highly satisfying nonetheless! onwards and upwards!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:58 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I just joined the team and made my first loan--strike that--two loans

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; Aug 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm Reason: Decided to make another loan
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

You are flying high and well through the night!

Amazing, friends!

168 Flyertalkers, 1,642 loans for $50,250.00

Originally Posted by stexupery
couldn't stand the suspense, so i added $375 in more loans so we could break the 50k barrier. not exactly like chuck yeager breaking the SOS barrier, but highly satisfying nonetheless! onwards and upwards!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yay! $50K! ^

Good going St.Ex (very princely of you ) and everyone else!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Just did my 28th loan! I started back in May 2009 with just a few $25 loans. Now, I've been paid back on 8 of the original loans and by just adding a few bucks here and there and reloaned what had been paid back, the loans total $700 and it just keeps revolving and helping people. What a great way to help others. Kiva rocks!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
New month -- so four new loans just made.

(All, of course, to the most attractive women I could find.)
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:37 pm

Added another to the FT team - this one's from Giblet's MFI in Cambodia.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/227937
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by wildblue
Added another to the FT team - this one's from Giblet's MFI in Cambodia.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/227937
Thanks for the heads-up. Just made a loan to her.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I just received the following e-mail from Kiva:

This is an update on your loan to Be Hoang Thi's Group in Viet Nam. Thanks to you and 44 other Kiva Lenders, the $1,300.00 loan request in Viet Nam has been 100% funded. This loan will be used for the purpose of: To buy fertilizer, pesticides and pig feed.
It gave me pause for a moment as I reflected that without being a FTer, it is very doubtful that as both a Vietnam vet and a Jew I ever would have sent money to help a group of Vietnamese raise pigs.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Dovster
I just received the following e-mail from Kiva:

It gave me pause for a moment as I reflected that without being a FTer, it is very doubtful that as both a Vietnam vet and a Jew I ever would have sent money to help a group of Vietnamese raise pigs.
Had the same feelings when I tried to pick the weirdest possible candidates to distribute the SMD 2009 surplus on Kiva. No one defaulted so far, so it goes to prove something...@:-)
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Well, there's more news from our raving, er, roving Fellow in Cambodia - looks like she will be doing a SIX MONTH stay! And she is learning valuable new skills she can use in New York, Silicon Valley or Ireland...

Check her Kiva Fellow blog here.

And congrats to all of us for going over $50,000!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.