Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Got some loans paid back so I reloaned all of it and topped it off a bit. That takes me to 29 loans so far. Not bad, but I hope I can do better ...

How many of you make a donation to Kiva? I do it sporadically but certainly not with every loan.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
How many of you make a donation to Kiva? I do it sporadically but certainly not with every loan.
In the past I've made a lump sum donation rather than donating every time I make a loan. This makes it easier to use it as a tax deduction and is better if your company allows gift matching.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by giblet
In the past I've made a lump sum donation rather than donating every time I make a loan. This makes it easier to use it as a tax deduction and is better if your company allows gift matching.
No tax deduction for me (as I'm outside the US), but I also favor the lump sum donation once a year. Much easier to keep track of in terms of how much I have circulating in KIVA funds.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I kick in the requisite 15% on every loan.

Without the administrative and support staff there is no Kiva.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I don't donate with every loan, but overall I have donated 15-16% of my loans.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:58 am

Hi all,

Statistic Name FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 140
Number of Loans 1414
Number of Loans per Member 10.1
Total Amount Loaned $42,000

We've just hit the next milestone, $42K!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Total Amount Loaned $42,000
What does that figure actually mean? If I loan $100, it is paid back, and I loan it to someone else, is it counted as $100 or $200 in the "Total Amount Loaned"?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
What does that figure actually mean? If I loan $100, it is paid back, and I loan it to someone else, is it counted as $100 or $200 in the "Total Amount Loaned"?
It will count as $200.

Each loan you provide counts towards the total, regardless of whether it is "new cash" or "recycled funds". (Just like in your personal totals .. I have $400 cycling through loans, but have a total for loans of $1'450.)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 500$ that came in via the Starmegado in January have now become 825$ in total loans...

http://www.kiva.org/lender/starmegado2009
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fantastic!

141 FlyerTalkers have made 1,435 loans totaling $42,550.00. That's some powerful microfinance leverage from FlyerTalkers who care and make a difference, often in places they have visited. Cholula's loan is the latest... to the Repollito (Little Cabbage) Group in Nicaragua.

We have "our own" Fellow about to depart to Cambodia! giblet departs the 28th (Wednesday) to Phnom Penh via NRT and BKK on JL to spend three months with MAXIMA! Check this link to her personal Fellows blog - FTers and friends have contributed $3,515 of the $4,000 she sought to pay for her expenses (she has to pay for everything as a Fellow - it is a totally uncompensated volunteer position).

I am looking forward to giblet's reports from the field, as it is quite likely she will make field visits to some of the entrepreneurs FlyerTalk is supporting in Cambodia! (I hope she will also keep us educated on the variety of food she encounters in Cambodia on her food blog; I remember well the many interesting fruits, vegetables and leaf / salad produce available in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos from my travels there.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 500$ that came in via the Starmegado in January have now become 825$ in total loans...

http://www.kiva.org/lender/starmegado2009

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 27, 2010 at 2:21 pm Reason: whoops, date lag!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Cholula's loan is the latest... to the Repollito (Little Cabbage) Group in Nicaragua.
Disgraceful! I refuse to allow Cholula to have made the latest loan -- and especially to a cabbage.

In order to avoid this, I just made one to a real, live, human (and, naturally, female) type person.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have at least 4 more to make this month. I got a whopping $225 in repayments. I'm waiting to clear out the account so I can charge more (& get miles).

That will bring my total somewhere around 55 loans.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Disgraceful! I refuse to allow Cholula to have made the latest loan -- and especially to a cabbage.

In order to avoid this, I just made one to a real, live, human (and, naturally, female) type person.
Well, I just made a loan to Estella Poaulina's beauty salon in South Sudan. Maybe she can do something with my hair.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:07 am

I'm making loans to as many countries as I can. Sort of reminds me of when I was a kid and I collected stamps of countries (and colonies) from all over the world. I'm up to 43 now.
Anyone else want to share their preferences for making loans?

The team is now at 1438 loans totaling $42,625.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by onthego15
Anyone else want to share their preferences for making loans?
I tend to favor lending to women.

And the more impoverished and third-world a country is, the greater probability I will loan to a person living there.

So a woman looking for a loan for a fruit stand in Sierra Leone is more likely to get a loan from me than a man looking to buy some dairy cattle in Argentina.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.