Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by Angust
Of the people cycling money with FFcc's to Paypal then to your bank.
I sure hope that this doesn't imply that people are sticking Kiva (a charity) with the paypal fee in and out?

Last edited by iolairemcfadden; May 11, 2010 at 6:53 am Reason: fixing quote
Old May 11, 2010, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
I sure hope that this doesn't imply that people are sticking Kiva (a charity) with the paypal fee in and out?
Paypal waives the fee for Kiva
Old May 11, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
It doesn't happen too often but there is always the chance that you will get stuck.
From the kiva.org website- "Current repayment rate (all partners): 98.57% "

I will be signing up for the FT team and making a loan or two in the next week.

Glad I saw this thread, as I didn't realize there was a FT team.
Old May 12, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
I've been lending to Kiva for years, but never knew about teams at all, let alone this one! Just joined -- looks like there are now 131 of us.
Old May 13, 2010, 3:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bikeguy and dliesse, welcome to the team!

Just be careful, this gets as addicting as miles...
Old May 15, 2010, 4:32 am

Credits are starting to post from Kiva's net billing process on the 15th. It runs alphabetically - still in the early part now. I'll be able to add a few more loans to the FT team.

In Kiva's App Gallery there's a site (kivabank.org) that will analyze your loan portfolio and allows a more detailed search of loans. It also projects how much you can expect to be repaid over the coming months. (Requires the silverlight plugin)

Edit: Just added another loan to the FT team - Jose in Peru who entertains at children's parties - http://www.kiva.org/lend/200596

Last edited by wildblue; May 15, 2010 at 10:36 am
Old May 17, 2010, 1:12 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Thanks for the reminder, Wildblue!

Two more loans for the team.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 18, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: CO, US, AA
Hey all-
I'm about to (finally) join up with the FT team. On the Kiva signup page, it asks for "Referred by a friend?" If it creates any good benefits or other karma points for the FT team (or an FTer), PM me with an email and I'll include that.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A much wider than normal spread of dates the credits rolled into my account this time. One loan that had been delinquent for a couple of months has resumed repayments (although still behind).

FT team is moving steadily towards $40k lent.
Old May 20, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Hi all,

I joined tonight. Happy to be a small part of this wonderful work. I'll be doing some research (so many loan possibilities !) before making my first loan.
Old May 20, 2010, 8:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by onthego15
Hi all,

I joined tonight.
Thanks for your support!
Old May 23, 2010, 3:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's fun, and it surely makes a difference!

As of today,

FT Lenders 135

Loans 1096

Lent by FT lenders $33,625

What a great way to actually enable (in a good way) people in countries we have travelled or may have special interest in!

Originally Posted by onthego15
Hi all,

I joined tonight. Happy to be a small part of this wonderful work. I'll be doing some research (so many loan possibilities !) before making my first loan.
Old May 23, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Hi All,

I made my first loans on Friday, and will make more soon. I'm glad to see this good work growing.
Old May 26, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Just made another loan.
Old May 28, 2010, 2:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm busy reinvesting the money we lent from the Starmegado 2009 surplus:

http://www.kiva.org/lender/starmegado2009

500$ invested have already grown into 675

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.