Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:15 am

loans are back

900 loans needing funding just showed up this morning.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:15 am

Great, thanks for the update! Putting a few loans through now.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:42 pm

Kiva's been in the news quite a bit lately, not all positive. Your loans aren't really going to the exact people you think they are. Instead it just goes into a big pool.

Still a great organization. But they're not so transparent. You need to read the fine print to see it.

Confusion on Where Money Lent via Kiva Goes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/bu...al/09kiva.html

Last edited by Jenbel; Feb 5, 2010 at 7:42 am Reason: Consecutive posts saying the same thing
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:50 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by sosuede
Still a great organization. But they're not so transparent. You need to read the fine print to see it.
While there was indeed a lot of news a number of weeks ago, KIVA has made a number of changes in response, to make it more transparant. You now see the date on which the loan was actually disbursed to the borrower, and they provide a lot more information about the interest rates being charged by the local partners.

So yes, there is a pooling system, but it is now much more visible. To quote, right from a borrower's page:

Pre-Disbursed : Jan 18, 2010
Your funds will be used to backfill this loan.
Repayments on this loan will go to you.
Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA
Got enough back today to re-loan. My first re-loan! Yay!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Heh heh! Your post reminded me to go check - yep, some moolah to relend!

We are now at

Code:
Statistic Name	FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members	108
Number of Loans	691
Number of Loans per Member	6.40
Total Amount Loaned	$21,575.00
Originally Posted by Owlchick
Got enough back today to re-loan. My first re-loan! Yay!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:41 am

More credits came in this morning - have enough to add to the FT team total
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Another loan for the team!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Had enough repaid for 2 more loans, so out it went
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

More loan repayments came through, so now the FlyerTalkers' lent total is $23,100.00 ^

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Had enough repaid for 2 more loans, so out it went
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Another loan for the team!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Originally Posted by wildblue
More credits came in this morning - have enough to add to the FT team total
Here's the bottom line: In one year, we FlyerTalkers have lent over USD $20,000 to small entrepreneurs in the far (and sometimes near) reaches of the globe!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 22, 2010 at 12:07 pm
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:09 pm

Hey Flyertalk lending team!

I'm in the process of completing my Kiva Fellows application (it's a volunteer position with one of the microfinance organizations in a developing country)--wish me luck!

Anyway, I'm reading this book called Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty

I'm really enjoying it and thought some of the FT team might be interested too. It gives a really interesting history of micro-lending in Bangladesh and also helps make it more personal--there are a lot of stories of people helped out of poverty by really small loans. For me, these stories really bring new meaning to the lending that we have all been doing.

Last edited by giblet; Apr 6, 2010 at 7:54 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:06 am

Credits started to come in yesterday. I can add a couple more loans to the FT team.

Statistic Name FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 114
Number of Loans 781
Number of Loans per Member 6.85
Total Amount Loaned $24,325.00
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Hey giblet - good luck with the application! Do let us know how you get on - would be great to get field reports.

I had my first loan problems today. I loaned to a group in Ghana, and inspection of the in-country partner has shown that it's management and control is really poor. So far, I don't think my loan has been impacted, so it looks like Kiva caught the situation before a major problem should develop. And now they are working with the partner to improve the situation.

Nice reminder to keep spreading my loans about though!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:05 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
FWIW I've had some loans with the same partner. Some repaid in full & on time, others not yet fully repaid but are on track.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Nice reminder to keep spreading my loans about though!
Always a good idea.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Best of luck to you, giblet!

Muhammad Yunus deserved his Nobel Prize, Grameen Bank led the way, and here we are! ^

Jenbel, I have made a few loans with partners that didn't quite have wings or in countries where the "fraction of corruption" is high - like Kenya - and in most cases, things have gone well. In one or two, not - but I'll keep on with this because of the positive impact and truly few defaults.

Originally Posted by giblet
Hey Flyertalk lending team!

I'm in the process of completing my Kiva Fellows application (it's a volunteer position with one of the microfinance organizations in a developing country)--wish me luck!

Anyway, I'm reading this book called Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty

I'm really enjoying it and thought some of the FT team might be interested too. It gives a really interesting history of micro-lending in Bangladesh and also helps make it more personal--there are a lot of stories of people helped out of poverty by really small loans. For me, theese stories really bring new meaning to the lending that we have all been doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.