Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
If you go to your loan, scroll to the bottom, you will see the state of the loan. Click on Advanced, and you will get more detail, including whether the borrowers are paying back to the local organization.
It worked! My group of ladies are in fact paying back on schedule so things must be OK on their end.

Thanks for the tip GenevaFlyer! ^
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:30 am

Wow. Now I can say I've financed a liquor store!

I just added another loan to FT. I've been putting a lot towards another group i'm in, but they've passed $1mm now so I'll work on FT.

Last edited by gj83; Nov 11, 2009 at 6:45 pm
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Just signed up. Funded one loan for $25, but it's not clear to me that the group will hit their total funding request before the time limit comes up.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Just signed up. Funded one loan for $25, but it's not clear to me that the group will hit their total funding request before the time limit comes up.
Have never seen a group that is not fully funded. A lot get funded in the last 24 hrs, due to the way they present on the web site.

-------
Number of Team Members 90
Number of Loans 438
Number of Loans per Member 4.87
Total Amount Loaned $13,375.00

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have never seen a group that is not fully funded. A lot get funded in the last 24 hrs, due to the way they present on the web site.

-------
Number of Loans 438
Number of Loans per Member 4.87
Total Amount Loaned $13,375.00

Last month was the first time several loans (between 10 - 15) expired without fully funding. I had a few - and the $ get returned to your account immediately.

A large number of loans get added to the site on the 1st of the month. Prior to a few months ago, this number always got brought down to just a few remaining loans. In the last few months though, the amount of loans seeking funding on kiva has increased, so some of the loans posted on the first of the month keep getting buried by newer loans in kiva's default "popular" sort.

A few teams have taken up the cause of these loans in danger of expiring and work to get them onto the first page of the "popular" sort where they get seen and funded by lenders. There are about 130 loans left on the site from October 1 - just change the sort to Expiring Soon to see them. The loans get tagged with "4 days left" in red once they reach that point and count down the days and minutes until they are funded or expire.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
2 more loans up, hadn't checked "my portfolio" for a couple of weeks and had just about enough to do 2 more ($.66 short) so topped it up and we are now at

Number of Loans 441
Number of Loans per Member 4.90
Total Amount Loaned $13,450.00

Good work everyone.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Just joined and made my first loan!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Just joined and made my first loan!
^
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
From Feb. 27 2009:

Originally Posted by JDiver
... so far, there are ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of today, Feb 27, 2009.
To today, just 10 months later:

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_lj
and we are now at
Number of Loans 441
Number of Loans per Member 4.90
Total Amount Loaned $13,450.00

Good work everyone.
Yes, that is "good work everyone." ^^
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
and thanks is due to the FTers who have been excellent at raising awareness of this organisation. I heard of it as a result of FTers, and though my portfolio is tiny, I'm still happy I'm doing what I can to help I wouldn't have been able to do that without the awareness of this charity that some FTers brought to me!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Flyertalk spreading the word.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
and thanks is due to the FTers who have been excellent at raising awareness of this organisation. I heard of it as a result of FTers, and though my portfolio is tiny, I'm still happy I'm doing what I can to help I wouldn't have been able to do that without the awareness of this charity that some FTers brought to me!
Same for me.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

certainly interesting >
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/bu...09kiva.html?em
http://blogs.cgdev.org/open_book/tag/kiva
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Yeah, I noticed the "I'm not really lending to these 13 people" when I saw the loan repayment schedule - it was a "7 month loan" and a 4 month repayment with the first payment much higher.

It doesn't worry me much, except it limits the countries where I'd give my $25/month (and I don't really expect to get repaid, if I do that's gravy). Sure I'd prefer to give my $25 directly to the individual or small group, but that's not particularly practical from a systems perspective.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

Indeed, I recently noticed that one of my loans had been gdisbursed to the borrower before it was funded on KIVA.

What it does confirm is the thing I noticed with one of my loans currently marked as late. The borrower is repaying on schedule, but the micro-finance organization is facing problems due to have many delinquent loans. As a result, the micro-finance organization is not repaying on my loan.

For now, I'll continue to lend on KIVA, as I still believe in helping people. However, I may also look at other alternatives in the future.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:23 pm

Credits have started to come in for November although I haven't gotten an official "your credits are here" email. I added another loan to the Flyertalk team.

Getting close to $15000....
Number of Team Members 97
Number of Loans 484
Number of Loans per Member 4.99
Total Amount Loaned $14,950.00

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.