Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apart the last loan to Cambodia to join 2 other FT'ers, all my other loans have to been to East Africa where I have spent many months & where my FT handle comes from (Traveller in Swahilli)
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:57 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

I'm in with three loans today.
I look for group loans and especially try to hone in on efforts to fund education for the group members children. I'm all about the people of tomorrow in this world and education is my key.
And along the way-- I'm raising small animals in Peru and cattle in Indonesia.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:04 am

I just put in my first loan as a FTer. We are up to $10,775!
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mzuri sana! And now the Mzee (Randy Petersen) has joined us too (I like his philosophy!)

Karibuni kila mtu! (Welcome everybody, plural, in Kiswahili.)

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Apart the last loan to Cambodia to join 2 other FT'ers, all my other loans have to been to East Africa where I have spent many months & where my FT handle comes from (Traveller in Swahilli)

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 29, 2009 at 8:25 am Reason: add a bit
Old Sep 27, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
A friend of mine mentioned to me yesterday how she was doing a program outside the US for Kiva...and I was thinking - why does that sound so familiar? Now I know why.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:40 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I've done a couple loans to pig farmers, because I feel the need to support the people who bring more bacon into the world
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
A friend of mine mentioned to me yesterday how she was doing a program outside the US for Kiva...and I was thinking - why does that sound so familiar? Now I know why.
Is that the Kiva Fellows program? I am thinking about applying for it in a few months.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Problem is, some say meat and the attendant hormone sets the body up for conflict - maybe you will have to accept responsibility for helping create the next generation of "bacon bombers?"

Wow, we are up to $11,000.00 this morning! And a veritable smörgåsbord of lenders and borrowers!

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I've done a couple loans to pig farmers, because I feel the need to support the people who bring more bacon into the world
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Let us know what your opinion is - and if you join, please keep us informed!

Originally Posted by giblet
Is that the Kiva Fellows program? I am thinking about applying for it in a few months.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Let us know what your opinion is - and if you join, please keep us informed!
I definitely will! I have a friend who is doing this program with Kiva and working with an organization in Mozambique right now. He says it has been an amazing experience.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA
Joined today and made a small loan for a starter. I'll have to see how my own finances settle after this cross country move, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able make more loans in time.

I love Missy's rationale for picking a loanee.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Goodonya! Owl look forward to seeing you here more.

I had some repayments, so made my 100th loan! Does that make me a mogul?

Originally Posted by Owlchick
Joined today and made a small loan for a starter. I'll have to see how my own finances settle after this cross country move, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able make more loans in time.

I love Missy's rationale for picking a loanee.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 29, 2009 at 4:03 pm
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi JDiver,

Originally Posted by JDiver
I had some repayments, so made my 100th loan! Does that make me a mogul?
Wow! Now, in the spirit of competition, I'll have to start working on catching up with you ... so far, I'm at 31 loans.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Just did another one.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 5:13 pm

Okay, I'm trying this out. I joined and made my first micro-loan today. Small business loans hit close to home for me, as I started a business over a year ago. I use my credit cards to short term finance (till the credit card bill due dates) my huge up front costs, as I outlay money up front for expenses & then receive payment anywhere from a week to a month later. (Of course, I also like getting all the points & miles from all the credit card expenditures.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.