Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Just joined and made my first contribution. GO TEAM FlyerTalk!
Old May 5, 2009, 1:56 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold
Joined the team today. Joined Kiva long back and have a few loans. Good for the soul.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1.7 MM, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Team member number 50 here

Just joined today and made my first (of hopefully several) loans. What a beautiful concept this is.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Welcome to the newest members.
Old May 6, 2009, 8:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to the FlyerTalkers lending team! Fifty members! That is a nice benchmark, and I see our loans total up to $4,325.00 today as well.

Even in this down-in-the-dumps economy, FT is making a difference - and I suspect we can travel to any number of places and know someone there has been empowered by the team's efforts. (This is not even taking into consideration the loans made by members before they joined the team, which are not shown as team efforts on kiva.org.)

See who we are!
Old May 19, 2009, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I just did another one today.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

Just added one as well.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 20, 2009, 2:28 am
Original Poster

FanTAStic!

We are currently up to

Number of Team Members 51
Number of Loans 168
Number of Loans per Member 3.29
Total Amount Loaned $4,900.00

Five thousand dollars lent, here we come! ^

Last edited by JDiver; May 20, 2009 at 4:35 am Reason: update numbers
Old May 21, 2009, 1:29 am

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
Just threw my 3rd loan in, should hit $5,000 shortly only a couple of loans shy. Good work all.
Old May 22, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Statistic Name FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 51
Number of Loans 174
Number of Loans per Member 3.41
Total Amount Loaned $5,175.00

$10,000 by the end of the year ??
Old May 24, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
I just re-loaned some repayments that have hit my account over the last months - it's amazing how quickly the funds come back in (or rather, how quickly time passes... ).
Old May 25, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: DL GM, CO, SWA
This is so cool!

I'm #52

176 loans total

$5225 loaned out.

I just found this thread and love the idea. Just made my first loan and plan on more.

Thanks for doing this Flyertalk Kiva team!
Old May 26, 2009, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Duo xie (thank you very much - I am in Shanghai today,) to all! We've pushed the FlyerTalkers Lending Team OVER $5,000! ^
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
FlyerTalk could raise $5m in Kiva loans

We surpassed our goal of $5,000. Congratulations to all who have lent through the FT team and contributed to meeting our goal!

How about we add a few zeros to that number? Here is a global challenge for all of FlyerTalk:

If every member of FlyerTalk.com (all 197,793 members) makes at least one $25 loan on their credit card of choice through our Kiva lending team we can generate:

$4,944,825 in loans
$98,896.50 in cashback rebates (@ 2%) or
at least 4,944,825 frequent flyers miles

Right now the biggest team on Kiva has loaned a measly $500,000.

The people on this thread are off to a great start, but this concept needs to spread to every member of the FT community. Everyone on FT could use 25 miles or a little cashback, so what is stopping FT from dominating the Kiva leaderboard? As our team motto says, "We want to fight global poverty while earning miles." Let's get earning.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:15 am

a new twist

I just noticed that now U.S. entrepeneurs are listed on KIVA. Anyone want to engage in a little private sector economic stimulus?

Last edited by myleguy; Jun 10, 2009 at 11:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.