Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:42 am

Over 1,000 new loan requests showed up on KIVA overnight. Lots of new places and places to make a difference (e.g. Haiti, Afghanistan). Might be a good time for new members and existing members to add a few loans.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Impact of FlyerTalkers Lending Team

Kiva Lending Team: FlyerTalkers

Number of Team Members 38

Number of Loans 117

Number of Loans per Member 3.08

Total Amount Loaned $3,525.00

*Updated as of Apr 07, 2009 09:11 pm

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 7, 2009 at 10:21 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I made another one today. Just looking around, there are no Education or Health fundraising projects. Those are the ones I would personally give more to than others.

I need to add, that there are no current fund raising for Education and/or Health but have been, most in the repayment phase.

Last edited by chanp; Apr 10, 2009 at 11:54 am Reason: correction.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:17 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
For some reason I had not seen this thread before. Count me in to the group. I've just linked my fourth loan to the FT "club".
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Goodonya, Craig! especially for the four loans, of course.

Originally Posted by Craig6z
For some reason I had not seen this thread before. Count me in to the group. I've just linked my fourth loan to the FT "club".
As of April 15 (Tax Day!) 2009

Number of Team Members: 39
Number of Loans: 120
Number of Loans per Member: 3.08
Total Amount Loaned: $3,600.00
*Updated as of Apr 15, 2009 07:41 am
Old Apr 15, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Thanks to JDiver for alerting me to FlyerTalk's decision to officially approve Kiva as an FT charity. That status is now reflected in the group description.

If you haven't already, join the FlyerTalkers Kiva team and make a small loan through the team:

http://www.kiva.org/team/flyertalker...2a60d4d&_te=tr

Let's push the group over 100 members or $5,000 loaned by December!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Hi, captain boulderlaw! We've made such great progress this year, I am hoping we can double your goal , even in this weak economy. We can dream, can't we? From ten members lending $1,375at the end of February to today's 40 lending team members / $3,600 is most encouraging!

But we are just 1/3 the way down 2009, with such great events coming up as Thanksgiving (not to mention birthdays, anniversaries, memorials, etc.) to use as incentives or vehicles for lending and giving back a bit for all we have to be thankful for.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
just joined and made a loan
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

How long does it take for loans to show up? I just joined and made two loans. Paypal shows that the loans were made. Kiva shows me as not having made any, and still has the two groups in my basket.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How long does it take for loans to show up? I just joined and made two loans. Paypal shows that the loans were made. Kiva shows me as not having made any, and still has the two groups in my basket.
There was about a 2 hour lag between making payment and the loans showing up for me today.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Maybe I did set our goal of $5,000 loaned a little too low:

As of April 22 (one week since our last update),

Number of Team Members

Number of Loans

Number of Loans per Member

Total Amount Loaned
$3,925.00

Help push us over the top by recruiting a friend or making a loan. Every dollar and team member gets us that much closer.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I joined the team today too. Time to make some loans.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Goodonya, dartagnan! And SanDiego1K shows three loans now.

Capt. boulderlaw, we are on the way - maybe to $5,000 by July 1? Now, that would be a great achievement for FT lending team members!

Last edited by JDiver; May 2, 2009 at 9:47 am Reason: move stat box
Old May 2, 2009, 9:46 am
Original Poster

That sounds about right.

We are growing thanks to members like you.

Some observations:

o One new FT team member (maybe you!) already has 81 loans - (most prior to joining,) and I have to say that is IMPRESSIVE and displays a real commitment to help others. :-:

o One member has a link to this page in his Lender Profile - great idea! ^ Now I've added the link to this page to my lender profile as well; thanks for the idea!

o We're at $4,200 loaned this morning!

At May 1, our stats are now:

FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members: 47
Number of Loans: 141
Number of Loans per Member: 3.0
Total Amount Loaned: $4,200.00

Originally Posted by work2fly
There was about a 2 hour lag between making payment and the loans showing up for me today.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: *Gold, Amex Plat
This is a wonderful idea.

I'm joining the team today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.