Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Some time ago, I posted here about Kiva.org, the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to Talk Board's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares!

Kiva allows us a great privilege, in my opinion. Many of us have travelled extensively, and have seen the poor and working poor: the weaver in Cambodia, the farmer in Perú, the mechanic in Egypt, the small duka owner in Kenya. We have wondered how we can help, how we can assure some of our travel money trickles down to help others less fortunate than we are, and we can not only get it back but lend it again!

At the same time, we are sometimes set upon by those who may not be so worthy - cons and grift artists are out there (and here in the developed world too, from the news headlines!) with great stories, but how are we to know if they are real? Or, we are asked to give to organizations that we do not have the resources to research to see if they are in fact doing a good job on the ground, or merely wasting our money in perpetual "gievaway" charity drives and high overhead expenses.

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."
PaperGlider likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 20, 2015 at 4:48 am Reason: add / update
Old Feb 27, 2009, 6:54 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I'm in for the Flyertalk Team

We were members of Kiva.org before finding this thread. I just added to my lending total and glad to be part of the Flyertalk team and effort.

Ingy
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Great! Glad you are onboard (both.) Now we are twelve at the end of the day.

(12 FlyerTalkers, 57 loans! ^)
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
I just saw this thread and looked at the web site , Im gonna look into joining .
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Also want to add another plug for Kiva.org; they have gift certificates! You can send electronically to the recipient who can select who to loan to, and yes, join a team.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I've been thinking about doing this for a year or two and for no good reason (too busy?) never got around to it. Well, now's the time. Consider me in. Will join up this week.^
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
i'm joining this worthwhile charity.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Wow - overnight, new stats:

14 members, 62 loans, $1,550 out in microloans!

fireworks boy and braefoot, welcome to the team! ^

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 28, 2009 at 9:10 am
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Wow, I wasn't even aware Kiva had this kind of set-up! And I call myself a supporter?! Awesome to work with fellow FTers in this great initiative! ^
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
JDiver I joined the team and just made a loan. Thanks for setting up our FT team.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
I joined and set up my first loan .
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:40 am

Great idea. Thanks for the invite and what a great way to help others!

I am going to go make a loan. This is somewhat similar to prosper.com but with a different focus.

Way to go fellow FT Team!^
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Welcome aboard the microlending express!

FlyerTalkers Lending Team is up to 20 members, 71 loans and $2,225.00 loaned by FlyerTalkers!

Update 1:31 PM March 1, 2009:

Statistic Name FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 23
Number of Loans 80
Number of Loans per Member 3.48
Total Amount Loaned $2,450.00 ^

Whether you donate to Kiva itself is up to you - but the microloans are fee-free and you do get it back (though I like this so much I have re-loaned every buck I have put into microlending - the banks should have such a good repayment rate!)

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 15, 2009 at 11:09 am Reason: update!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I've been meaning to do some microloans for years and just never got around to it.

Thanks jdiver! for making it so easy.

Have made a small loan to a woman running an internet cafe/grocery store. She wants to do maintenance on the computers, and I'm all for that!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:19 pm

I joined also team FT and Kiva today and set up two loans. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.