Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Just looking.. it is amazing how the donations eats into capital.

I'm a small value person, giving when I can but recirculating the money a lot. I've deposited $91* - but have $75 left as capital to lend. I need to stop donating

(*i'll top up to $25 when I'm a few dollars short, hence the odd number).

And got my first delinquent loan - fortunately, only going to lose $4 is she doesn't complete the payments - but there are payments showing on the account so I guess it'll work out ok. It's just taken longer than it should.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Administering the SMD 1 & 2 donations of 500$ each over the past 4 years I've lost 68$ to delinquents... The auto donation is a pain, I always have to remove the amount.

View Screen Capture
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: HH Silver
Today is "Match Madness" where your $25 loan will be matched by a generous donor so the recipient receives $50 so look for the symbol if online at Kiva today.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Picking a Field Partner?

I'm starting to loan extensively on Kiva, and avoiding field partners with loan defaults and major delinquencies. Some partners with no defaults or delinquencies do however have negative profitability (return on assets). Should I be concerned about losing money on loans in that situation.....or maybe not if it's the possibly deep-pocketed Catholic Relief Services?
Old May 4, 2014, 8:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JY1024
Current (Dec 17, 2013) team stats:

415 Team Members
$565,475 Amount Loaned
14,115 Loans
It's been a few months since we've posted an update, so here are our stats as of today (May 4, 2014):

436 Team Members
$630,325 Amount Loaned
15,518 Loans

Welcome to all our new members, and go team! ^
Old May 23, 2014, 10:36 am

Just found you through Kiva where I have been loaning for years. Would love to join your group. Can you tell me how I get miles for loans? Thanks!
Old May 23, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wpwhiting
Just found you through Kiva where I have been loaning for years. Would love to join your group. Can you tell me how I get miles for loans? Thanks!
Welcome to FT!

If you fund your loans using a credit card that earns miles, you'll earn through the credit card.
Old May 24, 2014, 9:13 am

Meaning of FFP/FFG linked card?

And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!
Could you explain what an FFP/FFG linked card is? Thanks.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wpwhiting
Could you explain what an FFP/FFG linked card is? Thanks.
A credit card that earns miles for purchases - i.e. AAdvantage card from Citi, United Explorer card from Chase, Delta SkyMiles card from American Express, etc.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:07 am

Did my bit to help others

Joined today. Feeling great that I did something to make life better for the needy.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:08 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
My MIL insists on Kiva gift cards for Mother's Day, her birthday, and Christmas. Giving Kiva gift cards is a great present for those who love to give to others, and if they don't know about it, it's a great way to increase the number of donors!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skrisskris
Joined today. Feeling great that I did something to make life better for the needy.
Thanks awesome! ^ Welcome to the Kiva family!

Originally Posted by kipper
My MIL insists on Kiva gift cards for Mother's Day, her birthday, and Christmas. Giving Kiva gift cards is a great present for those who love to give to others, and if they don't know about it, it's a great way to increase the number of donors!
+1 ^
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Lots of loans close to expiring, and repayments came through for me today... Check your accounts to see if you can help.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:15 pm

Great idea. Just signed up for Kiva this month.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:41 pm

The milepoint team is way ahead of us.

Last edited by NauticalWheeler; Oct 23, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.