Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Thomastraveller
Me too, Some of the posts in this thread are highly inspiring.
I made four loans last week. It was a 'feel good' moment when I spent the $100
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

Groupon has a deal today where you can get $50 for $25.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/kiva?p=...on&d=deal-page
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cash starting to be paid into accounts

Now I always only add to loans that other FT'ers have also funded.These needs more funding.
Go to the FT team then click on loans
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I just made a few loans to Mongolia that pushed our team over the $500,000 mark! WTG FT!
I am just over $26K for the team. A great way to get those spending requirements down with no cost but time.

Cheers!

JudyJFLA
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:57 am

For people making loans to Kiva, are you using the credit card/debit card or prepaid gift card to make a loan using an Amex gift card?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by MountainManDuy
For people making loans to Kiva, are you using the credit card/debit card or prepaid gift card to make a loan using an Amex gift card?
I have a bunch of Amex cards I can't seem to get to work on GCM, so I am going the Kiva route (two birds, one stone). Go through the paypal route, put it in as a credit card, but make the Kiva payment for $1 less than is on the giftcard. Pain in the ..., I know. I couldn't get use the giftcard route on paypal. That $1 will be a hold that will get returned to the gift card in a week. I then just go on to my cable companies website and make a $1 payment.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Just joined the team!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:20 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Just joined the team!
Welcome! Glad to have you on board! ^
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:52 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just a reminder that repayments are starting to trickle in!

I already found a few loans to use up some of the repayment money...

Current team stats:

415 Team Members
$565,475 Amount Loaned
14,115 Loans

Way to go, team! ^:-:
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
I have heard about this program, and it seems like a great way to empower many around the world. I just made my first loan and look forward to contributing to the team!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome aboard AKDan and thanks for lending to those who could do with a hand up.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JY1024
Just a reminder that repayments are starting to trickle in!

I already found a few loans to use up some of the repayment money...

Current team stats:

415 Team Members
$565,475 Amount Loaned
14,115 Loans

Way to go, team! ^:-:
Yes they are and I'm trying to re-loan as quickly as possible.

A question however for the forum. In the list of possible borrowers, I notice none are from Brazil. There seems to be plenty of opportunity, and in one case specifically, my family made a small direct loan to some of my daughter-in law's family. The loan was used to purchase inventory and a used refrigerator for their new bakery in a city on the outskirts of Sao Paulo. The circumstances are strkingly similar to other borrowers on the site.

I know that the tax situation is different in Brazil as taxes are assessed on foreign sourced capital (debt and equity), but some of these nations have even worse issues.

Thoughts welcome.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by george 3
A question however for the forum. In the list of possible borrowers, I notice none are from Brazil.
There is a new Kiva field partner in Brazil - Banco Pérola. They don't have any loans fundraising as I post this, but you can see the loans they've posted so far here.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sometimes, loans for a particular country are all taken up; that can mean we can wait a bit and then search again by country. At the moment, none in Argentina OR Brasil.

Nice thing is that we can keep on relending - I am up to $21,000 of loans over the years! What can we call that, an Iznop scheme?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:42 am

Did you notice today that Kiva has changed its interface slightly when it comes to payment: the “pay with credit card/debit card” option is gone, and it asks you to fill in your address and phone before letting you input your credit card info. When you finish payment, say of $25 or $50, the amount does not automatically becomes a new loan, it becomes a credit on your account, and you have to click “lend” button again to lend the credit on your account to the borrower. Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.