Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jada135
im thinking of signing up is the pay back rate really 99 percent?
Yep, you should go for it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm hoping my repayments hit on Friday, so I can make at least one loan.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:13 am

Repayments have started to trickle in today!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:51 am

I used my repayments to make 2 loans:

One to Irina, and one to Dmitriy.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
When I checked the morning of Feb 15 (Eastern time zone), I was a little sad to see so few repayments trickling in. But then the tap gushed open and by evening, I was up to almost ~98.5% of my estimated repayments!

Now off to make more loans!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JY1024
When I checked the morning of Feb 15 (Eastern time zone), I was a little sad to see so few repayments trickling in. But then the tap gushed open and by evening, I was up to almost ~98.5% of my estimated repayments!

I know the feeling and almost as soon as one of my loans was fully paid off I was reloaning it within hours. It's such a nice feeling.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Wow, did I have some loans come home!

Now re-launched - and we are up to

371 team members making 27.5 loan per member (average)
$383,625 lent in 10,190 loans
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JY1024

Just a slight change in Kiva's repayment schedule - they will be loading up repayments beginning (in March 2013) on the 17th of each month.

from Brandon @ Kiva

Hey all,

Effective March 2013, we will be making a slight change to the timing in which funds begin settling out to Kiva lenders. Specifically, funds will begin to settle out to lenders on the 17th of each month instead of the 15th. This will not impact the final due date for repayments to lenders, which will remain the 1st of each month that follows the settlement start date.

By building in two additional days to review and reconcile reported repayments prior to settling funds to Kiva lenders, it enables us to better identify issues that may need special attention and ensure that potential errors in repayment reporting are minimized. Our hope is that with this small change we will be able to both better support our partners as they use Kiva's systems, and ensure full transparency and accuracy for our lenders.

We've also created a Help Center response if you're interested in more details: bit.ly/11KXTnj

Thanks!
Brandon Smith
Community Marketing Coordinator, Kiva.org
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:07 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by neuron
Just a slight change in Kiva's repayment schedule - they will be loading up repayments beginning (in March 2013) on the 17th of each month.
Good to know - thanks for passing along! ^

(Otherwise I would have been very panicked and sad on March 15 as I stared at the very lonely "$0" in my account. )
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I signed my soon-to-be 10 year old niece up for her birthday present (aka her first Kiva loan) tonight. Thanks to that referral bonus, Amos in Tanzania will get his goods. Join in, if you like: http://www.kiva.org/lend/531469
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:12 am

Just received another $25 bonus for a referral from a friend, so I've lent that to Galina.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:54 am

I have a couple questions for you guys.

Is there any limit to how much you can withdraw from Kiva to your bank account each month?
Can the bonuses earned by referrals be withdrawn?
And if I already have an account, am I still able to join your team?

I'd like to start by putting a few hundred a month into the shortest term loans, until I can withdraw and deposit the same amount every month.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by kpd905

Is there any limit to how much you can withdraw from Kiva to your bank account each month?
Can the bonuses earned by referrals be withdrawn?
And if I already have an account, am I still able to join your team?

I'd like to start by putting a few hundred a month into the shortest term loans, until I can withdraw and deposit the same amount every month.
I can't answer the first one.
No, the bonuses earned by referrals cannot be withdrawn. You must loan the bonuses, and expire within 30 days, IIRC. Once you loan them, the repayments go back to whoever originally donated the referral bonuses.
Yes, you are still able to join the team. Just go to: http://www.kiva.org/team/flyertalkers and click Join Team.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by kpd905

No limit.

DO NOT CHURN. If you want to re-lend, leave the funds with Kiva and re-lend them. If you withdraw, leave the funds with PayPal and draw on them.

If you churn -- take the money and then re-lend using a PayPal credit card account, you get points or miles BUT unfairly and at someone else's expense.

Please do not do that. PayPal provides its services free to Kiva but as Kiva grows and people churn it may stop. Kiva is very concerned about this.

That said, welcome to the team.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:47 am

I just got one bonus loan due to referring someone....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.