FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flyertalk Cares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares-688/)
-   -   FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares/926538-flyertalker-lending-team-kiva-org.html)

RCyyz Sep 7, 2009 12:44 pm

A comment (but not a complaint):

I checked the Kiva website a few weeks back and noticed to my delight that some of the loans had been partially repaid. I happily topped up the payback and made another $25 loan.

Sometime last week I received an email from Kiva noting that some loans had been repaid. I checked today, and my Kiva balance is $0.

So obviously, Kiva is slow at sending out notices for repaid loans. While this isn't problematic for me at all, I do find it a trifle odd that repayments and notifications aren't more or less simultaneous.

Anyone else notice this?

MoreMilesPlease Sep 19, 2009 8:01 pm

My first loan is starting to be paid back so lent that money back out today. I'll just keep relending as it comes in.

I think I'll be giving KIVA gift certificates for Christmas!

gj83 Sep 19, 2009 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz (Post 12343753)

I checked the Kiva website a few weeks back and noticed to my delight that some of the loans had been partially repaid. I happily topped up the payback and made another $25 loan.

Sometime last week I received an email from Kiva noting that some loans had been repaid. I checked today, and my Kiva balance is $0.

So obviously, Kiva is slow at sending out notices for repaid loans. While this isn't problematic for me at all, I do find it a trifle odd that repayments and notifications aren't more or less simultaneous.

Anyone else notice this?

Happened to me too.

GenevaFlyer Sep 20, 2009 1:43 am

Hi all,

Just relent another $25. The team is at $9'350 and going strong.

Let's keep the momentum, everyone!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

wildblue Sep 20, 2009 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz (Post 12343753)

Anyone else notice this?

The credit email has sometimes been delayed for me as well, but I've learned when to look for credits. (thanks to info on the kivafriends.org forum)

The major posting of credits happens on the 15th of the month - it runs alphabetically by Field Partner (FP) throughout the day. My understanding is that on the 15th the loan payments due are netted against the funds the FP has raised on Kiva to that date and credits are posted.

If the FP owes more than they've raised, they have until the 1st of the next month to transfer payment to Kiva until the loan is considered delinquent. In a few cases, I've had credits trickle in over the last two weeks of the month.

You can click on the "show advanced" link to the right of the repayment schedule on the loan page to see the details of payments made from entrepreneur to FP and from FP to Kiva. I've had a couple of loans go delinquent - one was due to the entrepreneur getting behind (but then catching up) with payments, the other one the details show the entrepreneur has paid, but the FP has not yet paid Kiva.

If you're looking to relend - there are a whole bunch of group loans in Bolivia and Peru that have about 10 days left to be funded. These are short term loans - generally paid back in 4 or 5 payments.

JDiver Sep 20, 2009 12:59 pm

wildblue, thanks for the informative update! :-:

I suspect some batch processing - there are sometimes lags - even in showing how much the individual or group has loaned, though that often takes less than one half hour. In the end, I have never had any problems with Kiva itself, though one or two lenders have gone temporarily delinquent over time (85 loans, 55 in repayment, 30 paid, and I've just re-lent some repaid money.)

We are now up to

FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 69
Number of Loans 322
Number of Loans per Member 4.67
Total Amount Loaned $9,725.00

Can the magical $10,000 be far? ^

http://l3-1.kiva.org/r17084/images/bannerlong.png

RCyyz Sep 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Yay! Just made another loan today. :)

Helsinki Flyer Sep 24, 2009 4:12 am

So did I.

Update: I started looking around and found a few more that needed my help. I made it three times 25. Small amounts, but every penny helps.

giblet Sep 24, 2009 4:47 am

I just joined the group. Kiva has long been one of my favorite sites and now that FT is one of my favorite sites it's nice to match them up. :)

Mwenenzi Sep 24, 2009 4:48 am

Me too. 3 of us have made a loan to the same person in Cambodia. Loan is 60% raised so more can join

JDiver Sep 24, 2009 9:26 am

Ta-DAH!

FlyerTalkers Lending Team
Number of Team Members 70
Number of Loans 333
Number of Loans per Member 4.75
Total Amount Loaned $10,025.00

In less than one year, :-: FlyerTalkers :-: have made OVER $10,000 IN LOANS to needy entrepreneurs in developing areas of the world!

giblet Sep 24, 2009 9:33 am

That's awesome!

Do you guys have anything special you look for in making a loan? So far, I've always loaned to entrepreneurs in food-related businesses, especially street food. Yum.

Jenbel Sep 24, 2009 10:05 am

I look for female entrepreneurs, and I like to do countries I've been to. I love Uganda so my one loan (so far) was to there, and I'd probably look there first again.

SanDiego1K Sep 24, 2009 10:38 am

I, also, specifically loan to female entrepreneurs. Women simply don't have the same work opportunities as men in much of the world. Beyond that, I'd love to figure out a more systematic way to make my loans, as I'm very random at the moment. Fortunately, each loan is only the cost of a lunch or two, so I don't feel compelled to do a lot of analysis. I tend to chose a country, limit it to women, and loan to work efforts that appeal.

skofarrell Sep 24, 2009 11:02 am

One more FTer. I'm now an investor in a Peruvian restaurant. :D

Sean