Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by sunk818
Does anyone withdraw to their PayPal and use new funds to loan? You don't get travel miles if you just relend.
I have done that but am doing it less now. It really isn't fair to PayPal. PayPal is donating its services to Kiva, all at no charge whatsoever. To saddle it with extra costs just so that we get points seems wrong.

Now I do not like the lending frenzy on the pay back day (the 15th) or reduced choices following. So I start lending using credit card funding via PayPal on the 1st. When pay backs occur I reimburse myself via a withdrawal for the early loans. Then I use the balance of my pay back to continue loaning through month end. I try to add several new money loans each month so that my total invested grows steadily.

Kiva has been having serious growing pains. I will not go into detail here. Those of you who also follow the Kiva discussions on MilePoint are likely well aware of them. For the rest ( actually all) of you, I suggest staying with smaller loans of 14 or fewer months from field partners with a 3 star or better rating. Smaller loans for me mean under $1,500 for an individual and under $4,500 for a group.

My delinquency rate continues to be acceptable but others have complained of a delinquency creep. Defaults remain low (1.05%) but there is a lag between a delinquency and a default so the default rate might (hopeflly not) grow a bit in the future.

We loan to help save the world. Don't let a few delinquencies or defaults even detour your good intentions. Keep on lending and add new money as often as you can.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by sunk818
Does anyone withdraw to their PayPal and use new funds to loan? You don't get travel miles if you just relend.
I occasionally pull my money, and then will sometimes fund new loans, but I'm far more likely to just keep the credit riding.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
I just received some funds from FlightFox so in they went to Kiva. Five more loans for the team.

One of them was Manuchar in Georgia who had a compelling loan request.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/421188
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Quickly checked my loan status today, 27 delinquent from 318 loans @ $25 each...

A little high for my liking, though they have all paid something back so the percentage is probably under 5%.

Any experience with loans going into delinquency temporarily - as in they miss a payment or two but come good at the end?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Quickly checked my loan status today, 27 delinquent from 318 loans @ $25 each...

A little high for my liking, though they have all paid something back so the percentage is probably under 5%.

Any experience with loans going into delinquency temporarily - as in they miss a payment or two but come good at the end?
Delinquency is actually fairly common on Kiva. My delinquency rate is extremely high while my default rate is very low. (I have a lot of agriculture loans which tend to be more delinquent than other types) I hardly even pay attention to loans that are 1 or 2 month behind because it is so easy for them to catch up. Even loans that are 3-4 months behind will catch up 99% of the time.
You can go to your portfolio then search through all of your loans and see how far behind each one is.
If you don't know how to do this, I can give you more detailed directions.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold

Yeah, I've have a few show up as delinquent... but never a default.

Usually it seems that they don't make a full payment (e.g. 10 month, $250 loan with $25/mo payments... and only $15 is paid back one month) for a month or two but then they make it up and the loan ends up paid off in full on time.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are these through 1 field partner? It can be the field partner in the country that has problems, more the the people who have taken the loan. Spreading your money around several field partners reduces the risk. I have a delinquency rate of 4.77% and a default rate of 0.77%, most from 2 unscrupulous field partners. I consider Kiva as a donation and not a commercial loan.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Are these through 1 field partner? It can be the field partner in the country that has problems, more the the people who have taken the loan. Spread you money around several field partners reduces the risk. I have a delinquency rate of 4.77% and a default rate of 0.77%, most from 2 unscrupulous field partners. I consider Kiva as a donation and not a commercial loan.
Not necessarily so. I have loans all over the planet and my delinquency rate is over 14% at this moment.
brooklynmatt says he has 318 loans, so I am sure that he is diversified, too.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:54 am

Its reassuring to see that there is that difference between delinquent and default.

I purposely donate in $25 loans (1 per person) so that my risk is spread - though this means I have more loans it also means if one turns bad after a couple of payments then I really don't lose very much.

I just checked the page again and the stats are interesting:

My Loan Statistics

Me Average Kiva User
Total Amount Lent $8,825.00 $268.92
Total Amount Repaid $3,768.82 $217.35
Total Amount Lost $0.00 $2.05
Total Amount Refunded and Expired $25.00 $3.92
Outstanding Portfolio $5,031.18 $45.40
Delinquency Rate 1.17% 2.87%
Amount In Arrears $58.94 $1.30
Number of Loans Delinquent 25 0.01
Default Rate 0.00% 1.05%
Currency Exchange Loss Rate 0.00% 0.00%

As you can see the rate is low (as they are calculating cash value late as a % of overall portfolio) this number would rapidly increase if all those 25 loans default, which was my concern (somewhat alleviated now thanks).

And yes, I am very well diversified based on gender, industry, location.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:27 am

Stumbled across Kiva this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see the FT community at work.

Glad to be part of the group.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:36 am

Its reassuring to see that there is that difference between delinquent and default.

My Loan Statistics

Me Average Kiva User
Total Amount Lent $8,825.00 $268.92
Total Amount Repaid $3,768.82 $217.35
Total Amount Lost $0.00 $2.05
Total Amount Refunded and Expired $25.00 $3.92
Delinquency Rate 1.17% 2.87%
Amount In Arrears $58.94 $1.30
Number of Loans Delinquent 25 0.01
Default Rate 0.00% 1.05%
Currency Exchange Loss Rate 0.00% 0.00%

As you can see the rate is low (as they are calculating cash value late as a % of overall portfolio) this number would rapidly increase if all those 25 loans default, which was my concern (somewhat alleviated now thanks).

And yes, I am very well diversified based on gender, industry, location.
My lending pattern is similar to yours. Where did you find the Amount in Arrears?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
My lending pattern is similar to yours. Where did you find the Amount in Arrears?
Go to PORTFOLIO dropdown menu - click LOANS - then you get the above (you have to hit + button to expand DELINQUENCY RATE and it shows up in the Sub Menu.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:15 pm

Go to PORTFOLIO dropdown menu - click LOANS - then you get the above (you have to hit + button to expand DELINQUENCY RATE and it shows up in the Sub Menu.
Neat but scary. It says I have $181.47 delinquent, a 2.0% delinquency rate. measured against my dollars outstanding, this calculation is correct. Interesting.

Most of my delinquencies are minor. Approximately 9% of my outstanding loans are behind but many by just a fraction of a payment. So far in 15 months I have not had a single defaulted loan. two of my loans expired and one was partially refunded whatever that means -- I had received payments of $9.94 and then got $15.06 "refunded."

My 2012 goal is to have made 1,000 loans. I count every $25 as a loan so Kiva and I have slightly different counts - my count is 19 loans ahead of Kiva based on greater than $25 loans or unintended second loans to previous borrowers.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
With the 15th coming up, it is time to think about putting your repayments to good use. Marvin in El Salvador wants to spice up life by growing chillies on his farm and it looks like a pretty good loan to make.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/435703
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:46 pm

Just joined and am currently making my first set of loans!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.