Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:57 am

Lend, Lend, Lend......

Team has been inactive of late. There is a world out there that needs help.

Make your day. Do a Kiva loan.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Don't overlook the possibility of encouraging others with the free $25 trial right now.

I just lent $350.00 in $25 loans, not reflected below yet:

Number of Team Members 288
Number of Loans 5,991
Number of Loans per Member 20.8
Total Amount Loaned $206,550

KyRoamer, you're really getting to be a nag! Goodonya, keep it up.

I really like the idea of committing to a monthly goal. ^
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Just received an email that I have additional Kiva credit, so while another loan isn't on the agenda for this week, in a few weeks, it will be.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:51 pm

Nice to see you on the leaderboards - keep up the good work!!! ^ :-:
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
No small potatoes with Kiva. Every loan counts.

[sic]

Hopefully, you will be able to add a few new loans this year or at least roll over your repayments. Enjoy.

Keep Kiva fun.
Yup, I re-lend ASAP every time I reach $25 credited back to my account. Might be able to add to it later this year as well.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:52 am

Calling all team members. It's April. If you filed early, you should have your tax refund. Use part to make a team Kiva loan.

Last month we were #10 among the Common Interest groups in lending. There are 3,178 lending teams in the "Common Interest" category. We should be proud. We are number 16 on its all time list.

Lend now. Be as generous as you can comfortably be and we could hit $250,000 this month or next.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

No foolin'!

Just finished up with my 444th loan, and FT is ~288 members have lent $214,200 in 6,076 loans. Must be something about the number 444... Don't forget to select loans about to expire.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm Reason: update firgures
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
help with Amex Gift Card.

Hi All - just joined the Kiva/flyertalk group and would like to add funds to loan from a gift card - Paypal told me that they couldn't verify the card (told as in a popup online).

Could I ask some help as to how to resolve that so I can fund a ton more loans?

Cheers,

Matt
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
help with Amex Gift Card.

Hi All - just joined the Kiva/flyertalk group and would like to add funds to loan from a gift card - Paypal told me that they couldn't verify the card (told as in a popup online).

Could I ask some help as to how to resolve that so I can fund a ton more loans?

Cheers,

Matt
In my experience Paypal does not accept gift cards. There may be exceptions, of course, but they did not accept a gift card from me, either.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I was pretty sure that they did, and thought I saw something on this thread (I rescanned and saw it was on page 45 I think).

Anyway, you have to call up Amex and make them link your giftcard to your name/address then it is active.

Just loaned out $3000.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Wow, $3,000! ^brooklynmatt!^

I am frustrated, myself. I have had three loans refunded in the last few days - they were loans to American small entrepreneurs, and perhaps the larger loan amounts or the fact they were in the USA stymied their loans. I'be got loans all over the world, and have made a few loans in the USA, but here were the loans, and they never completed.

I just re-lent $50 from two of those refunds, and one of those was to Sefu Magoso in Kenya, who is trying to raise funds for his electrics parts business. His loan will expire in 5 1/2 hours if it is not fully funded - here's an opportunity, as it is not a big loan and there's only $150 - no, now $125 - to go! And now, it is fully funded. ^

Asante sana kwa msaada wako, marafiki. (Many thanks for your help, friends.)

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 9, 2012 at 11:08 am Reason: update
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
I was pretty sure that they did, and thought I saw something on this thread (I rescanned and saw it was on page 45 I think).

Anyway, you have to call up Amex and make them link your giftcard to your name/address then it is active.

Just loaned out $3000.
Thanks for the info on how to make a gift card work with Paypal. When I tried it was a gift card with little money on it, so it wasn't worth going thru hoops. Glad you got it to work for you.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Compared to some of you, I have a small amount of money in Kiva I recycle as quickly as possible topping up $5 at a time to very slooooowwwwwwllllyyyyy increase how much I have in the scheme - and just looked and I have $20 of credit available so can go again when I get home from work

Thanks for the reminders of seeing this thread to remind me to keep on checking.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

In the Common Interest grouping, we are doing better this month than last (#9 this month, #10 last).

Currently up to
Number of Team Members 289
Number of Loans 6,222
Number of Loans per Member 21.5
Total Amount Loaned $218,150

Don't forget to let your friends / family know abut the current offer: FREE TRIALS: New users get a free $25 loan. (Seen on the front page.)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:37 pm

Significant Defaults

I don't want to rain on everybody's feel good parade here, but I made 32 loans and have a 7.93% default rate. Everything I read about Kiva is how wonderful it is and how you never lose money. You can lose money. If you want to give to charity don't let me stand in your way, but if you want to get miles with a small risk of loss, this is not the place to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.