Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:33 am

I just posted my first post on the Kiva Fellows blog. You can read it here: Have you eaten rice? Saying hello in Cambodia

Also, put in another loan for the team today
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Number of Team Members 163
Number of Loans 1568
Number of Loans per Member 9.6
Total Amount Loaned $48,125

We're getting close gang!

We're actually within reach of being in the top 100 teams (ranked by total amount loaned). At this rate we might crack top 100 in a few more months. I know this isn't a contest, but it's nice to see that Team FlyerTalk came from nowhere to almost top 100 in a relatively short time.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm in Athens at the moment, but just got a bit of Internet and a chance to stir the pot a little bit. It's exciting to see us close in on the $50k figure, and to see what giblet is up to in Cambodia! (Stay well, our friend in the field!)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by giblet
Also, put in another loan for the team today

You talked me into it.

Just made a loan to a Maxima sponsored gentleman in Phnom Penh who wishes to buy a motorbike for his daughter so she can get to work in the garment factory.

BTW, your blog entry today was very interesting! I'll have to eat some rice for lunch.........
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Cholula
Just made a loan to a Maxima sponsored gentleman in Phnom Penh who wishes to buy a motorbike for his daughter so she can get to work in the garment factory.
As I don't want Cholula to have the honor of being the last FTer to make a loan, I have since made a loan to that same gentleman.

(Do not waste your time trying to figure out why I put "as" and "since" in bold face. It was a message to Cholula and done to break break his chops a bit.)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
We're actually within reach of being in the top 100 teams (ranked by total amount loaned).
I've looked everywhere for the team rankings and can't find them. Can someone post a link to them?

Originally Posted by Dovster
(Do not waste your time trying to figure out why I put "as" and "since" in bold face. It was a message to Cholula and done to break break his chops a bit.)
I still like "since" better than "as" whether it's technically correct or not.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
I've looked everywhere for the team rankings and can't find them. Can someone post a link to them?
Click on "Community" and then have "Filter teams by All Categories" and, next to it, sort by number of loans, total loaned, or whatever you want.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
We're the 99th team in # of members
101 in number of loans
105 in amount loaned
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just did another 2 and will be doing at least another 6 this month as I find some I like.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I just did another 2 and will be doing at least another 6 this month as I find some I like.
For some reason, I made a loan after Cholula but before Mary and it is not shown on the FT group page.

Is it possible that we are not getting credit for all the loans we made?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Click on the link at the top of the team section that says "loans" and you'll see all the loans currently active for the team. Only 1 of mine is showing on the first page, but I made 2 at the same time.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:12 pm

Choula and Dovster, does this mean you were unable to reach an agreement regarding the beast?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Our count just updated (as it does every night: only once a day) and after even Randy chipped in we stand at $48,425.00 , so only some 300$ yesterday.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:12 am

Choula and Dovster, does this mean you were unable to reach an agreement regarding the beast?
I thought it was Cholula. He insists that it is me.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:25 am

I think it's just a skinny member of the bovinus bullus variety.

They're short-horned and therefor not water buffaloes.

They kind of look like a underfed team of oxen such as these zebu oxen from India.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.