Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Old May 29, 2010, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Like most of you, I received a message saying, "are several loans that the FT team is on that only have a couple of days left to be fully funded. If you have any credits left, these loans could use some help!"

Being almost completely computer illiterate, I was unable to find which loans the the team is on so I just made four more loans to those who looked good to me.

Can anyone explain for the future how I find out which are connected to the FT Team?
Old May 29, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Dovster
Like most of you, I received a message saying, "are several loans that the FT team is on that only have a couple of days left to be fully funded. If you have any credits left, these loans could use some help!"

Being almost completely computer illiterate, I was unable to find which loans the the team is on so I just made four more loans to those who looked good to me.

Can anyone explain for the future how I find out which are connected to the FT Team?

You can go to this page:
http://www.kiva.org/community/teams/...s?team_id=1913

Look for the loans that are marked in red "1 day left" or "2 days left".
Old May 29, 2010, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
You can go to this page:
http://www.kiva.org/community/teams/...s?team_id=1913

Look for the loans that are marked in red "1 day left" or "2 days left".
Thanks. Apparently by sheer luck I did manage to make the loans to people connected with the FT Team -- but not to any of them with only 1 or 2 days left.

What happens if their loan requests are not filled during that time?
Old May 29, 2010, 7:51 am

I just received two e-mails from Kiva telling me that loans that I made have now been fully funded.

Interestingly, the e-mails both say, "This loan will be used for the purpose of: To purchase fertilizers such as manure."

Heck, if I knew that I wouldn't have made the loans. I just would have advised the recipients to go to Omni/PR where they could find as much manure as they want for free.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Here's one that may expire.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/191962?_te=lew

Originally Posted by Dovster
Thanks. Apparently by sheer luck I did manage to make the loans to people connected with the FT Team -- but not to any of them with only 1 or 2 days left.

What happens if their loan requests are not filled during that time?
If they expire then the microloan amounts are credited back to each lender's account.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:58 am

Credits have started to come in today. I can add a couple more to the FT team.

Number of Team Members 136
Number of Loans 1168
Number of Loans per Member 8.6
Total Amount Loaned $35,500
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This afternoon:

Number of Loans 1182
Number of Loans per Member 8.7
Total Amount Loaned $35,8500

This morning:

Originally Posted by wildblue
Credits have started to come in today. I can add a couple more to the FT team.

Number of Loans 1168
Number of Loans per Member 8.6
Total Amount Loaned $35,500

Slightly over a year ago:

Originally Posted by JDiver
And, why not?

I re-lent a Benjamin that came back at me from borrowers today, and now we are up to $5,800.00

*Updated as of Jun 21, 2009 06:51 pm

boulderlaw, you've got a great idea! ^

The FlyerTalk Lending Team only began Oct 13, 2008!

Not to mention, we will have our own "FlyerTalk Ambassador" (well, not really, in actuality Kiva Fellow, but hey...) in giblet! She will head to the Australasia area 3 - 6 months later this summer, and her airfare has been covered by FTers donating miles. (Given this is a Fellowship, as in "The Kiva Fellow is an unpaid, volunteer based position designed to increase Kiva's impact and to offer participants a unique insider experience," giblet is making a huge contribution of her time and energy!)

I think we can safely say FTers are making a difference in the world.^ And :-:giblet:-: is truly awesome for what she has committed to!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
That's wonderful that she is going and that others have donated her the miles. ^
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:56 pm

Thank you very much! And thank you so much to JDiver for being my very first sponsor!

I'm very excited to find out where I will be placed--I will post here as soon as I know but have been told it will be in either Cambodia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam or Samoa.

Last edited by giblet; Jun 16, 2010 at 9:03 pm Reason: adding the country list
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by giblet
Thank you very much! And thank you so much to JDiver for being my very first sponsor!

I'm very excited to find out where I will be placed--I will post here as soon as I know but have been told it will be in either Cambodia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam or Samoa.
Congratulations on your fellowship. Count me as number 2.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:01 pm

I've just gotten my placement and I will be working with MAXIMA Mikroheranhvatho Co., Ltd. in Phnom Penh, Cambodia starting August 1.

They have 16 open loans right now if anyone has any credit to re-lend.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've just gotten my placement and I will be working with MAXIMA Mikroheranhvatho Co., Ltd. in Phnom Penh, Cambodia starting August 1.
That's great news, giblet. I really enjoyed Phnom Penh. Admittedly, I was a tourist, and you will be working - but hopefully, you'll have some spare time to enjoy what the city offers. There's a lot of history there, both tragic and not.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus

Congratulations and good luck!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt

4 loans made through MAXIMA. ^
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
4 loans made through MAXIMA. ^
And I made a new one yesterday thru MAXIMA in glblet's honor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.