FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flyertalk Cares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares-688/)
-   -   DREAMFLIGHT – Sponsor a Fat bloke (FT Approved) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares/920216-dreamflight-sponsor-fat-bloke-ft-approved.html)

CT-UK Feb 10, 2009 10:35 am

DREAMFLIGHT – Sponsor a Fat bloke (FT Approved)

Hi All,

I have been outed by another member of FT as to the motivation of my diet exercise regime. The reason for this is to raise money for DREAMFLIGHT. Our very own Dolly Dripmat also raised money for them every year and I hope between us we can raise enough to help some kids out.
I will be doing the London Triathlon (1500m Swim, 40KM Bike ride and 10k run) on August 2nd. This itself is a challenge for a lot of people. It is a bit harder for me as I have about 9 years worth of beer hanging off the front of me. Since deciding to take this challenge to raise money for such a good charity dear to a lot of people’s hearts I have cut down (not out) the drinking and taken up a weird thing called exercise and dropped 20lbs and have a lot more to do.
Please give as much as you can afford to this charity if you think they do a good thing. If you don’t know about them then take a look at their site. They make a BIG difference to the lives of seriously ill and disabled children and need all the help they can get from us.
It takes around £3000 per child and they take 196 kids each year. I hope to be able to raise enough to pay for half a child.
If your also in London on August 2nd then you can make sure I finish by being 5 paces in front of me with a cold beer in your hand as I will not stop until I can get it.

You can donate here:
http://www.justgiving.com/ct-uk

More info:
http://www.dreamflight.org/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7763921.stm
http://www.dreamflight.org/video/dreamflight384K.wmv
http://www.thelondontriathlon.co.uk/

Thanks for reading

Christian

Shuttle-Bored Feb 10, 2009 10:42 am

^ - great cause, and good luck! Does this mean we can't look forward to PUTI classics between now and August? :eek: :D

[mod hat]As CT-UK's thread title indicates, Dreamflight is an approved charity under the Flyertalk Cares banner, so please dig deep![/mod hat]

CT-UK Feb 10, 2009 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored (Post 11234130)
^ - great cause, and good luck! Does this mean we can't look forward to PUTI classics between now and August? :eek: :D

Not a hope of me NOT doing some PUTI. It is much easier for me to get in that state now :D

nomoreiphone Feb 10, 2009 11:19 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 11234218)
Not a hope of me NOT doing some PUTI. It is much easier for me to get in that state now :D

If you wouldn't mind, can you please put up a before/after picture of urself. Loosing 20lb is a big deal! I wish I can even loose 10lb

CT-UK Feb 10, 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by nomoreiphone (Post 11234380)
If you wouldn't mind, can you please put up a before/after picture of urself. Loosing 20lb is a big deal! I wish I can even loose 10lb

Sure, once I have got my MANKINI (nope it isn't me.

dfotn Feb 10, 2009 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 11234575)
Sure, once I have got my MANKINI (nope it isn't me.

ow my eyes! Oh, that's going to give me nightmares. A day-glo green mankini? For the love of God, why?

Back on topic. Good luck in your efforts for this worthy cause. ^

Teece Feb 10, 2009 2:34 pm

CT-UK - very best of luck with this. I'll be doing the second day of the Pan-Mass Challenge on the 2nd, so I'll be thinking of you! Let me know if you want any help with preparing for the bike! I'll sort a donation between now and then.

uk1 Feb 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Well done and good luck.^

BigLar Feb 10, 2009 3:30 pm

<sniff>

Mother of Mercy!

Is this the end of "Bugger I am drunk" threads?

sunrisegirl Feb 10, 2009 4:35 pm

Best of luck CT-UK - it's such an admirable thing you're doing by helping Dreamflight. And of course you get the benefit of that gorgeous slimline body to enjoy :p

Keep us informed with how things are going.

And some of us know that even though the diet/fitness thing's going well, you've still managed an odd PUTI :D

Princess1 Feb 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Good luck! You are doing a wonderful thing. For inspiration, watch "Run, Fat Boy, Run".

We'll be cheering you on!

Shuttle-Bored Feb 11, 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 11234218)

Phew - would hate for normal broadcasts to be interrupted ;) :D

Know what you mean re hastier inebrination after weight loss - after losing a bit when I ran the Edinburgh Marathon a couple of years back, a couple of glasses of wine left me somewhat lightheaded - it's not called lightweight for nothing :o :D Must factor that into my training plan for the Loch Ness Marathon in October....

CT-UK Feb 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Wow, thanks guys and girls for the donations! Much appreciated :)

G-BOAC Feb 12, 2009 11:03 am

So is the picture on the page now a good likeness to you, CT-UK? :D

CT-UK Feb 12, 2009 11:22 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 11246437)
So is the picture on the page now a good likeness to you, CT-UK? :D

No the pic isn't like me. I haven't got around to putting up the pic of me in my new lycra yet. :)

CT-UK Feb 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Bugger, the training has gone pot tonight.
Just found a great pub offering pints at £2 and a great tapas Indian place in Edinburgh.
Think I have to get up f’ing early tomorrow to work this off as I have my first open water swim next week.
Thanks all for the sponsorship so far, much appreciated.

CT-UK Mar 2, 2009 2:07 am

A Monday morning update for you.
The £1000 mark has been broken already ^^

Thanks very much to all of you who have donated.:D

BA1A Mar 26, 2009 3:38 am

Best of luck - have just increased your total ^

PUCCI GALORE Mar 26, 2009 3:57 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 11241602)
Wow, thanks guys and girls for the donations! Much appreciated :)

Call yourself Cuddly Darling. Fat Bloke makes me think that you do not think as highly of yourself as we do.

I am - because it is you - going to break the habit of several years of refusal and sponsor you myself. Once I am back from this trip I will.

Auntie PucciXX

(Why aren't you a Mucci?)

CT-UK Mar 26, 2009 5:04 am

Thanks all again.

They donations have been great!

On an update front I can now cycle past a pub without wanting to stop for a pint :D I can swim fast enough now to avoid the Japanese whaling boats the slip and I am 30lbs down :D

Thanks again ^^^

dfotn Apr 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Bumping this because I noticed CT-UK has doubled his fundraising target to £3000.00 for this worthy cause.

CT-UK Apr 23, 2009 3:49 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 11477034)
(Why aren't you a Mucci?)

No idea, probably because I would get to drunk while celebrating

On a serious not although my online total shows just under half way I am pretty confident in another £500 from offline methods this weekend so maybe we will be able to pay for 1 kid.
Also I completed my first all in session this morning so swim straight to the bike then straight back on the running machine. Good job I used a machine otherwise I might have hit the pavement as my legs had a wobbly moment.

12 weeks to go, more calories to burn and more money to raise so dig deep if you can. I know Dreamflight need the money more than every at the moment.

Thanks

sunrisegirl Apr 23, 2009 3:57 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 11629867)
No idea, probably because I would get to drunk while celebrating

On a serious not although my online total shows just under half way I am pretty confident in another £500 from offline methods this weekend so maybe we will be able to pay for 1 kid.
Also I completed my first all in session this morning so swim straight to the bike then straight back on the running machine. Good job I used a machine otherwise I might have hit the pavement as my legs had a wobbly moment.

12 weeks to go, more calories to burn and more money to raise so dig deep if you can. I know Dreamflight need the money more than every at the moment.

Thanks

Keep going CT-UK!! Remember what a good cause it is and just think of the benefit you're getting too. A hot, sylph like body that'll have all the ladies lusting after you. xx :D

Well done ^^^

CT-UK May 2, 2009 1:45 am

A timely bump with just 12 weeks to go.

For those who don’t know much about Dreamflight and amazing work they do please spend a bit of time reading the spring news letter: http://www.dreamflight.org/newsletter/Spring_2009.pdf Read the letters from the kids.

A real tear jerker for me was on page 18, I have copied it below.

HIS HOLIDY OF A LIFETIME

I was one of the Nurses from the old Woody group, now Pirates, that took a young Woody called Aaron along with us to Florida in 2006. When you read this you will realise how you made a young lad’s holiday of a life time possible. YOU includes everyone who has something to do with Dream flight albeit the office staff, ground staff, fundraisers & our USA team. Aaron was a 10 year old young man that spent a lot of his life in hospital he was nominated to go to Florida and was accepted. Sadly Aaron died in 2007, I was asked to speak at his funeral and was honoured to do so. I told some of the funny tales about Aaron's time on the ward I work on, his love of food & if he fancied nothing on the menu he would change religion that day. When his consultant suggested he took up sport this was no problem to Aaron he loved fishing. Aaron arrived at Manchester airport with a smile as big as you could imagine and a very heavy suitcase, on closer inspection in his case I found 15 bottles of suntan lotion 8 shower gels, 4 hair gels, 9 toothbrushes and 6 tins of lynx deodorant. I also noticed Aaron's spending money well exceeded the allocated amount suggested by Dreamflight. This had been supplied by all the staff on the ward, a nice wad of crispy American dollars. Even the secretary Pam had rushed out to get him dollars. Aaron that day was a very rich happy man. The blues skies of Florida beckoned Aaron; he did the fast rides, upside down rides, loved the large USA food portions and swam with the Dolphins. Paul Bowman his carer for the week was a non medical member of staff that works at Heathrow airport. Maia supplied him with a plastic jug and instructions on how to test and measure all Aaron's urine. If you saw Paul and the jug you knew Aaron was not far behind. Paul took this role very seriously and every drop of urine passed was recorded and reported to Maia or myself. Paul would spend a lot of time at night adding Aaron's output up. On the last day we all signed the plastic jug and gave it back to Paul and told him it had been a complete wind-up. Paul still has the jug. As Aaron's coffin entered the church, pride of place on it was a picture of Aaron kissing a Dolphin at Discovery Cove. On a lighter note and I do not think Dave (Aaron's dad) will mind me sharing this, the plan was to bury Aaron in his school uniform. But Dave washed the uniform accidentally on a boil wash and yes it shrunk, so Aaron was buried in his Woody T shirt. Jeannie Hogarth Pirate Group.

(written with the kind permission of Aaron’s father Dave)

CT-UK May 21, 2009 5:10 am

Time for a little update and bump of the thread I am sure Dolly Dripmat doesn't mind .

Not the greatest sporting achievement ever but I did survive my first event last night as practise. Not sure or the overall time yet as I have to wait. This was a Sprint distance so only 750m Swim, 20KM Bike and 5KM run.
Got LOTS to learn with the number one lesson being don’t drink 8 pints the night before and live of Mcdonalds the days before.
Time to work on the running I think.....

Note the Dreamflight T-Shirt worn, I am sure it slowed me down but it did get noticed and got me £40 sponsorship from people at the event after they asked what it was about.

oh and Yes I am still fat :D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/...7dfc18c66c.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3555/...636a13e6_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3650/...e069e020c0.jpg

PUCCI GALORE May 21, 2009 7:23 am

No! You are cuddly. Final word.

(I've not forgotten my promise!!)

CT-UK Jun 22, 2009 2:04 am

Good morning with a Monday morning bump.

So close to breaking the £2000 mark this morning. :D:D

Who would like to start their week off bumping the figure over that mark?

I am sure your generosity will set you off for a good week. :-::-:

Teece Jun 22, 2009 2:13 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 11947046)
Good morning with a Monday morning bump.

So close to breaking the £2000 mark this morning. :D:D

Who would like to start their week off bumping the figure over that mark?

I am sure your generosity will set you off for a good week. :-::-:

Grrrr - your Justgiving site is playing up!

CT-UK Jun 22, 2009 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Teece (Post 11947063)
Grrrr - your Justgiving site is playing up!

It is working again now so no excuse :D
It is slow as hell for some reason though

CT-UK Jul 7, 2009 3:36 am

With just under a month to go I thought I would give another bump to this to see we can up the total a bit....
I am now in no drink mode until the big day and bugger me it is hard.

CT-UK Jul 21, 2009 9:31 am

Just a little bump for this great charity and just under 2 weeks to go.

Sat at a very even £2222 right now and would love to hit the £3k to fund one child to go.

There must be someone who wants to make things odd. :D

Thanks

G-BOAC Jul 27, 2009 6:04 am

Just under a week to go before the big day - worth a little bump, I think!

CT-UK Jul 28, 2009 12:52 am

Thanks G-BOAC.
Yesterday was a very good day indeed for sponsorship, with a very generous one at the end of the day from anonymous so unfortunately I don’t know who to say thank you to.
If you are here then thank you very much

CT

£2667 as of now. Very close to being able to send one kid :D ^
http://www.justgiving.com/ct-uk/

G-BOAC Jul 31, 2009 4:14 am

Right. The race is Sunday so today's the last day in the office (which is surely where most of us slack off, errm, 'take essential creative downtime between important topics', to read FT primarily) hence this bump.

1) I just flexed the plastic again to put my money where my big mouth is. Admittedly it's far easier than flexing any kind of muscles like CT-UK has had to in order to train hard for this (especially the 'restraint muscle' to keep off the booze ;)).

2) There's now a nice round number left to the target. No more oddness.

3) A MERE 200.00 left to go. It's so close.

4) End of the month, payday has surely been by now?

5) "Ah, but I am skint still" :( Alas, so am I. BUT they take credit cards (that's right, you can even earn miles/points at the same time as a remdinder) so that's that problem solved.

Fingers crossed a few people nip out for a boozy Friday lunch and come back in a good mood to slip in a few more donations. 200 quid surely shouldn't end up being the shortfall for sending one child on the holiday of a lifetime like this, it's so close...

browserden Jul 31, 2009 6:33 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 12152300)
5) "Ah, but I am skint still" :( Alas, so am I. BUT they take credit cards (that's right, you can even earn miles/points at the same time as a remdinder) so that's that problem solved.

If you want to pay by Amex then select the PayPal option rather than the pay by card option.

CT-UK Jul 31, 2009 7:03 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 12152300)
Fingers crossed a few people nip out for a boozy Friday lunch and come back in a good mood to slip in a few more donations. 200 quid surely shouldn't end up being the shortfall for sending one child on the holiday of a lifetime like this, it's so close...

Not all FTers share your lunchtime drinking habits B-BOAC. :D

Very close now, thanks to ALL who have donated so far ^^

Cheetah_SA Jul 31, 2009 9:04 am

WOW!! Somebody just catapulted you right through the 3000 mark!

Well done!! ^

quitecontrary Aug 2, 2009 3:22 am

Bumping this as the race is today. It's an excellent cause that those of who are lucky enough to travel as we do should support to enable those who are not so lucky to have the trip of a lifetime. Dig deep and donate.

Good luck CT-UK (not a Fat Bloke any more:D).

Shuttle-Bored Aug 2, 2009 4:14 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary (Post 12160959)
Good luck CT-UK (not a Fat Bloke any more:D).

^ - hope the weather isn't too warm out there!

Pyeinthesky Aug 2, 2009 11:28 am

I have just heard from a very pleased CT-UK who has just completed the Triathlon in 3:17, which is a whopping 13 minutes better than his target!

I am sure you'll all join me in congratulating him both on his feat (and feet!), and his fantastic efforts fund-raising for such a wonderful cause.

Here's a picture of him moments ago, clutching a very well deserved bottle of Stella!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2464/...10d98f7b_o.jpg

Looks like he fared better than the guy bottom left of frame! ;)

P.S. The website is, of course, still taking donations :)