Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Charity Request - Dreamflight 2008

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:25 am
Original Poster

OT: Charity Request - Dreamflight 2008

It is that time of year again! Just two months until the Dreamflight 747 takes off from LHR to ferry 192 seriously ill and disadvantaged kiddies to the theme parks of Florida for the 'Holiday of a Lifetime'!

Having cleared the required FT processes (thank you so much Jenbel), I have been given permission to come back here again to ask you generous folks if you can help us to make these children's dreams come true.

I have again set up a Justgiving web page to try to garner donations for this amazing charity, if you donate this way then Dreamflight will automatically benefit from any Gift Aid if applicable. I would like to reassure you all that I do not receive any financial, material or other incentive for fundraising. All of the money that you donate goes to the charity. I am a volunteer on Dreamflight, I crew the flight and help to look after the kiddies during the trip and that is what I gain from all of this.

I can't explain what this trip means to these children, many have terminal or serious illnesses and would never have the opportunity to ever board an aircraft far less ride rollercoasters, meet Mickey Mouse or swim with dolphins. Dreamflight makes these things happen for some of the bravest kids I have ever met.

If you can help, please visit my page HERE

For more information about Dreamflight please feel free to contact me or visit the website Dreamflight

Thanks again, and thank you to those who have already been so generous.

Debbie
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
It's a brilliant cause which a lot of us have already donated to, so please everyone give it your full support and make a donation ^
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Done - and what a pleasure to be able to donate to a worthy cause, unlike some round here at the momenet :-)
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Can I respectfully ask that this thread continues to get bumped for the right reasons (i.e. through those of us who support it) and not get entangled with the other debate?

It's an unfortunate timing coincidence but I would hate for the appeal for Dreamflight to end up with any kind of negative association which is not of its own making.

Please therefore let's just talk about Dreamflight in this thread. Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Fair enough - I think everyone knows how strongly I feel about this - I have deleted my post. Please give generously everyone.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Can I respectfully ask that this thread continues to get bumped for the right reasons (i.e. through those of us who support it) and not get entangled with the other debate?

It's an unfortunate timing coincidence but I would hate for the appeal for Dreamflight to end up with any kind of negative association which is not of its own making.

Please therefore let's just talk about Dreamflight in this thread. Thanks.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Anyone with views about debates elsewhere should express them elsewhere. I don't think we need to tarnish this thread as a result.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Pleased to support Debbie and her work. Pleased we're moving on too.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only thread worth reading on here at the moment.

Dolly, so glad you're doing this again. You're a real star.

And folks, for those that love flying, love holidaying, this is THE charity to support, as your donation will help some severely disadvantaged kids make the trip of a lifetime. Make their dream come true.

And Dolly, you ought to at least double or treble your fundraising target. Especially after the generous online donations, and one very generous offline one. ^
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Jumping in quickly before the credit crunch really hits. Hopefully the forum's generosity can continue.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case you missed it, the site for donations is here:
http://www.justgiving.com/dreamflight2008

Just read some of the memories from here:
http://www.dreamflight.org/memories.htm

Such as:
"...the trip has definitely helped him. Since he has been back, he's been a different boy. He has had a lot of problems since he had his brain tumour last year and has been very depressed and withdrawn at times, but since he has been back we have seen a definite improvement and it's great to see. He can't stop talking about the trip..."
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Dreamflight is a wonderful innovation set up many years ago for these children with serious and life threatening illnesses, we contribute and will continue to always, keep up the good work everyone all our monies we know go to a great cause.^
Old Oct 18, 2008, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Dreamflight is Go!!

Dear All,

All the preparations are complete, the kids are all getting their teddy bears packed and I am about to head to Heathrow to welcome them all to the start of their holiday!

We party on down this afternoon with all sorts of celebrities (most of whom I will never have heard of ) and then we take to the skies tomorrow bound for the theme parks of Orlando.

So thank you all so much once again for helping to make it all possible again this year. ^

I am touched by the generosity of the members and staff of this board and very grateful for the continued support that I have had from so many, but especially from Smirnoff. So to you gorgeous, thank you for keeping this going, keeping the money coming in and your amazing generosity always. You are such a star.

So thanks again to everyone who took time to visit the web site and donate, there are 192 incredibly excited kids who echo me with those sentiments.

For those who are interested, I will pop back on here when we come back down to earth and let you know how it all went this year.

Yours in gratitude

Debs
(Very Excited with Teddy Bear Packed!)
Old Oct 18, 2008, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Best wishes for a fun and successful trip! You are the best!
Old Oct 18, 2008, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I will see you there today Dolly, clue big brown bear
Old Oct 18, 2008, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I will see you there today Dolly, clue big brown bear
Hmmmmm....curiouser and curiouser!

See you there, clue Goofy is the best!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.