FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flyertalk Cares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares-688/)
-   -   Flyertalk Cares - Charitable request for Aeroplan points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares/690016-flyertalk-cares-charitable-request-aeroplan-points.html)

murmurdoc May 5, 2007 8:52 am

Flyertalk Cares - Charitable request for Aeroplan points

Greetings all. As some of you know, I work in pediatric cardiology at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. My favorite part of my job is a summer camp called "Camp Oki" we have run for the past few years, an place for children with life-threatening heart problems to "go to camp" when they might otherwise not have the chance.

This has been a great success, and I am now getting requests from other children's hospitals around Ontario and Canada to send their patients to our camp. However the logistics of doing so are growing increasingly complicated - while our bus travel up north is generously donated, the children still need to get to Toronto, and Air Canada's Horizons program only covers travel for medical care.

I have successfully applied to Aeroplan to open a charitable pooling account to use for bringing campers to Toronto. If you would like to consider supporting us, please PM me and I can forward you additional information about the Camp, as well as an easy-to-complete form for your donation.

Thanks
Murmurdoc

Randy Petersen May 11, 2007 7:24 am

We wish you success with this. I might suggest you adding a link to the organization so others can easily click thru.

Again, best success with your efforts.

tcook052 May 11, 2007 8:10 pm

Good to see this thread reopened, Randy, and to OP, you have PM.

zorn May 15, 2007 8:54 am

On May 17 I see there is a points matching program through Aeroplan.

Does this apply to your charity, or only the principal ones listed on the website?

oopsz May 15, 2007 10:22 am

How many miles will you take as a donation? Does it have to be in 25k increments? I have a few thousand that i'll never use (thanks to AC's expiring mile policy) that i'd be happy to throw your way.

murmurdoc May 16, 2007 5:07 am

Originally Posted by zorn (Post 7739884)

Does this apply to your charity, or only the principal ones listed on the website?

Great question, and I've passed it along to my AP contact.

MMD

murmurdoc May 16, 2007 5:09 am

Originally Posted by oopsz (Post 7740454)
How many miles will you take as a donation? Does it have to be in 25k increments? I have a few thousand that i'll never use (thanks to AC's expiring mile policy) that i'd be happy to throw your way.

No minimum. You have PM.

Thanks
MMD

murmurdoc May 16, 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by zorn (Post 7739884)

Per Aeroplan, unfortunately not.

taupo May 23, 2007 8:26 pm

For those people interested in helping out the heart doc's charity, I suggest PMing him for an email address, and offer to make the bookings directly for the patients.
You then know that your miles are going to good use at good value.

Agent 86 May 25, 2007 10:22 am

Tax Receipts

Originally Posted by taupo (Post 7789234)
For those people interested in helping out the heart doc's charity, I suggest PMing him for an email address, and offer to make the bookings directly for the patients.
You then know that your miles are going to good use at good value.

I learned last year that if you book a flight with your points and it is associated with a registered charity you can get a tax receipt for the value of the flight at time of booking. I printed the pricing of the flight for the day of my AP booking and got a receipt for that amount.

skofarrell Jun 1, 2007 11:05 am

Any updates on the final tally?

murmurdoc Jun 6, 2007 7:14 am

Originally Posted by skofarrell (Post 7832918)
Any updates on the final tally?

4 donors for a total of 136K AP miles.

Thanks everybody! Watch for this again next year.

tcook052 Jun 6, 2007 8:11 am

Thanks for the update, doc, and congratulations. :)