Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Time to donate a pint. @:-)
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:09 pm

I would if I could, but my blood is dirty.

Two guys who have been monagamous for 30 years - nope, can't have that. A frat boy who does the entire cheerleading team is good to go...
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:13 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I keep meaning to unsubscribe from this thread just because it's such a slap in the face every time it gets bumped, but I also always want to make sure people know the same thing JakiChan is complaining about.

So, thanks for the reminder that the government thinks I'm diseased scum! Appreciate it!
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:46 pm

Yup - rejected until 07/08 - finished up my healthy subject Alzheimers clinical trial in IND for Lilly and can't donate for a year!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: nada these days
I gave two weeks ago, and for some reason it took forever! I think I had a less-than-competent tech who used a really small needle, so it was in my arm for nearly 45 minutes. Never had that happen before!

To Robb and everyone else who is discriminated against for purely political (and "moral") reasons: It infuriates me, too, and it won't change until at least January 2009. Here's hoping it does. What a ridiculous, wasteful, harmful rule.

On a somewhat related note, a friend of mine used to give blood every 8 weeks without fail. Then his blood sample erroneously tested positive for hepatitis and they gave him a lifetime ban, even though he never had hepatitis and subsequent tests confirmed that. He says that's the end of his do-gooding.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by erdehoff
He says that's the end of his do-gooding.
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. When the ARC asks me for money I just ignore them. I know it's not their policy but still. And whenever there's a blood drive at work it just pisses me off. I've been known to put post-it's on the flyers saying "gays need not apply" just to make the point...
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by erdehoff
Then his blood sample erroneously tested positive for hepatitis and they gave him a lifetime ban, even though he never had hepatitis and subsequent tests confirmed that. He says that's the end of his do-gooding.
That's pretty much how I feel about giving blood now. While they never would tell me what I false positive'd on and told me that a secondary test came up clean, I have since had many tests (for other reasons) to make sure everything is ok with me.

I still han't been back since, but am pretty sure they'll still false positive on my blood every now and again and give me a 'caution' about giving blood. It's really not worth the hassle for me. The other option is to call and chat to one of their nurses who may or may not be able to give me information about whether the tests have changed, and what I may or may not have tested positive to. I think their answer may be to avoid giving blood 'just to be on the safe side'

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Sep 4, 2007 at 4:07 am
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
This thread is not bumped to annoy the small percentage of people that can't give blood. It's bumped to remind the majority that giving blood is the right thing to do.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Time to donate a pint. @:-)
What will you pay me?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JakiChan
I would if I could, but my blood is dirty.

Two guys who have been monagamous for 30 years - nope, can't have that. A frat boy who does the entire cheerleading team is good to go...
While the restrictions, as stated, are stupid, your counter-stereotyping of straights isn't so nice either...
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
While the restrictions, as stated, are stupid, your counter-stereotyping of straights isn't so nice either...
Especially since I strongly suspect that many drunk frat boys just end up doing each other...
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:03 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
I have just read every post on this thread. I admire others who are giving and willing to go through some pain to benefit another human.
While I am sure some believe that blood saves lives I know first hand that blood transfusions are dangerous. Dangerous for the same reasons some of you are complaining; screening out all those who have transmitable diseases. Often the screening process is highly inadequate. Subsequenty I had a friend die directly caused by a blood transfusion given needlessly by a doctor. Blood is money to medical instutions and doctors as it adds to the bill of patients.
Think I am wrong. Then why are there more and more bloodless hospitals than ever before?
http://www.sabm.org/hospitals/
Sorry if this offends your chosen action to help humanity but this threads needs a little balancing out.

Last edited by Clincher; Sep 4, 2007 at 7:12 am
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
This thread is not bumped to annoy the small percentage of people that can't give blood. It's bumped to remind the majority that giving blood is the right thing to do.
It doesn't seem to be such a small percentage now, does it?

I think the thread should be closed. It's as exclusionary as the Community Thread that only wanted to include people under 30.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
He didn't stereotype straights at all. He just pointed out that someone who fit that description wouldn't be deferred even though they clearly should be according to the logic. How does that stereotype all straights or even all frat boys?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by robb
It doesn't seem to be such a small percentage now, does it?
Why? B/C there are a number of folks complaining about current policy? Does that somehow alter the percentages in population as a whole?

Originally Posted by robb
I think the thread should be closed. It's as exclusionary as the Community Thread that only wanted to include people under 30.
Now you're just being silly. Giving blood is a good and valuable thing, and it's a pity more people cannot participate. In the meantime, pouting about not getting your own way shouldn't be part of the program.

O/H

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.