Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2003, 5:26 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
Shameless bump.

Give blood. It's important.
</font>
The "platelet" or "plasma" donation is called Apheresis. It generally takes about 40-60 minutes, and you don't feel any side effects, which can sometimes happen with a whole blood donation.

Donating blood is like having a regular check-up for free - you're weighed, blood pressure's taken, and you get a haemoglobin (ah hemoglobin for our US cousins ) count as well.

It's good for you, and more importantly, it's good for your community...

(spelling, spelling...)

[This message has been edited by willyroo (edited 10-02-2003).]
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dhammer53
It's that time again. Time to donate a pint.

Remember, by giving blood, you can check to see if your iron level is high.

Some of you new folks may want to read this thread from the beginning for a better understanding on why you should give blood.

Dan
It's that time again.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Thumbs up

It's that time again.
We're almost on the same schedule.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 5:53 am

I'm donating next week. Makes me feel good, I'm doing something to benefit others!
My last donation was Dec. '03. The tech told me to go home & eat all I wanted 'cause when you give blood you lose about 2 lbs. & that my metabolisum would be reved up. I have a fast metabolisum anyway. (Thank you Lord) I went home, sat down to watch the news for about 30 mins., when I got up to start dinner for hubby I felt like I was going to pass out. I did this twice. Hubby ended up fixing my dinner. After dinner I snoozed for an hour and felt fine afterwards.
Went to the scales to weigh. I weighed 110, which is the minimum. I had lost 3 lbs.
What I learned from this experience: make sure I weigh MORE than 110, rest and eat a hearty meal afterwards.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by birdstrike
I don't think they ask about this, but if you've ever had unexplained nerological symptoms then blood donation is contra-indicated.

It seems there once was someone diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis who was killed in a car crash. His corneas were dontacted and transplanted into two different recipients.

Both recipiients later came down with rabies(!)
I'm surprised no one questioned this statement when it was originally made.

How does MS equate to rabies? Please explain....
Old Apr 16, 2004, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techgirl
I'm surprised no one questioned this statement when it was originally made.

How does MS equate to rabies? Please explain....
It doesn't equate, only relates. AFAIK, it is still impossible to definitivly diagnose MS short of an autopsy. The diagnosis is based on symptomology and none-definitive signs like oligiclonal banding in the CSF.

The patient in question had presented with symptoms suggestive of MS.

Rabies also affects the CNS. I can only presume that the person in question was actually suffering from rabies and was mis-diagnosed.

This was told to me by a neurologist and a second neurologist standing nearby confirmed it. I haven't looked for a citation recently but couldn't find one when I last looked.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Blood donations

I wish I could.

I donated in December. In February I went to India on business. I'm now deferred for 6 months (malaria risk) and I'm likely to go to India within that time- I may end up deferred as long as I have this job. Really unfortunate- I'm gloriously healthy otherwise and would like to help those who aren't.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by birdstrike
It doesn't equate, only relates. AFAIK, it is still impossible to definitivly diagnose MS short of an autopsy. The diagnosis is based on symptomology and none-definitive signs like oligiclonal banding in the CSF.

The patient in question had presented with symptoms suggestive of MS.

Rabies also affects the CNS. I can only presume that the person in question was actually suffering from rabies and was mis-diagnosed.

This was told to me by a neurologist and a second neurologist standing nearby confirmed it. I haven't looked for a citation recently but couldn't find one when I last looked.
Thanks for the clarification. I was just making sure that you weren't saying that individuals with MS could transmit rabies.

Some of us (*ahem*) might take that as a personal attack.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techgirl
Some of us (*ahem*) might take that as a personal attack.
Some of us (*ahem*), might agree
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:35 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Angry Mooo!

Originally Posted by GK
I am astounded at the restrictions on giving blood if you lived in Europe. Total denial of BSE in the US ! Sorry then folks, that makes two reasons why your not getting my blood.
I too am one of those the FDA thinks is carrying Mad (Moo!!!) Cow disease due to lengthy overseas residence. I have got to remember to donate blood thenext time I am in Europe. Surely they will take my blood?

Or am I considered contaminated by living under the Bush regime?
Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:41 am
Suspended

Regardless of where I live, my travel patterns etc., I am not allowed to give blood period. I used to be a regular donor, aphersis as well, but because of one simple fact, I am gay, they don't want my blood.

Surely they could take it, screen it and use it. Yes safeguards need to be in place but with the tests around for HIV etc., why can't they check my blood, confirm it is ok and then use it. I have always found it appaling that a female can be friendly and unsafe and give blood regularly, while a gay male cannot give at all.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
It's that time again. Time to donate a pint.

Remember, by giving blood, you can check to see if your iron level is high.

Some of you new folks may want to read this thread from the beginning for a better understanding on why you should give blood.

Dan

With all the bloodletting going on here these days, I suggest you take some time off from Omni and go give blood.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
".....Before they take your blood, the do a test of your 'iron'. Your iron level should be between 15 and 16. That's healthy. So today, my iron level was 17. http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttravel_forum/eek.gif

When you give blood, you reduce your iron level. So by giving blood today, I was able to bring down my iron level.

I wouldn't even know that my iron level was high unless I gave blood, or went for a check-u....."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The body has a (usually wonderful) feedback mechanism and your blood iron level will be back to exactly where it started in a few days. There are more medically approved and efficient ways to lower blood iron levels (in addition to home blood-letting, leeches and visits to the neighberhood vampire.

I am not fond of the mega-organization called the Red Cross Assoc. Too many scandels and too much bureaurcracy. I occasionally give my blood to a smaller non-profit outfit in Delaware. Its much more user friendly and charges me a small annual fee too.

Lastly when giving blood, there are increasingly too many intrusive pages to read, questions to answer and overall invasion of my privacy. Each year I have to read more and more and answer more and and of my private life. Medical testing of the blood is still required (or it should be) to insure blood safety. Questions, travels, intimacy etc insure absolutely nothing toward any blood safety.

MisterNice
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:05 am

I had bad experiences giving blood. Back when I was in college many years ago, I gave blood a couple of times. Both times I passed out immediately afterwards.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:53 pm

It Really Matters

Dear Colleagues,

As someone who deals with patients suffering from leukemias, lymphomas, and other blood-related cancers, I can tell you your donations of blood products are vitally important. Thank you so much for taking the time to volunteer.

I cannot tell you the number of patients whose lives have been saved - almost single-handedly - by platelets, plasma, and red blood cells obtained through volunteer donations.

For those of you who enjoy donating and have no ill effects, please consider contacting the local red cross (or your major cancer centers) to donote platelets. These are truly the life saving products for many cancer patients.

Also, we are in urgent need of donors to the National Bone Marrow Donor Program. By adding a tube which contains a few teaspoonsful of blood to your donation, your HLA typing will be placed in a national registry for cancer patients who require life-save bone marrow transplants. More information can be found here. Folks of minority and multiple ethnic groups are especially encouraged to apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.