Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
an instant loss of one pound! Yeah, I know one's body will quickly replace it, but the idea still helps.
Please tell me you're kidding!!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by lgts
Please tell me you're kidding!!
Nope, I'm not. Whatever it takes to psych me into doing something I know is the right thing to do. But just need one more little mental nudge.

Romelle
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Romelle
Not proud of these, but have to admit they are motivations #2, #3 and #4 for my blood donations. And every little bit of motivation helps.

#2 - the pre-donation check amounts to a quick free simple physical.

#3 - an instant loss of one pound! Yeah, I know one's body will quickly replace it, but the idea still helps.

#4 - the post-donation cookies and juice. Which of course sort of negates #3.
_______

Of course the #1 reason is it is simply the right thing to do.

Romelle

^

I actually really appreciate #2. Whenever I go to my actual annual physical, I bring my donor card so that my doctor can see my blood pressure over the year.

...which reminds me - I should probably give platelets at some point this week!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 93
BP: 117/61
Pulse: 64
Blood Type: Red
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
I just crossed a personal "gallon" milestone. It's taken me about 15 years to get there, in part to me being lazy and neglecting to give blood for several years.

But onwards and upwards to my next personal milestone.
Well, just crossed my mini-milestone about 2-weeks ago. Setting a goal of hitting the next big milestone within a span of 12 months. <fingers crossed>

New England Red Cross has been pretty aggressive this summer with emails and local drives. Wonder if local banks are low, or whether they just want to keep momentum up for a more consistent supply.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:30 pm

Well, just crossed my mini-milestone about 2-weeks ago. Setting a goal of hitting the next big milestone within a span of 12 months. <fingers crossed>

New England Red Cross has been pretty aggressive this summer with emails and local drives. Wonder if local banks are low, or whether they just want to keep momentum up for a more consistent supply.
How do you count it for platelets? Also, have you ever donated at Mass Gen?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
How do you count it for platelets? Also, have you ever donated at Mass Gen?
I've only been doing platelets a few years and still give whole blood, so my "unit" count is a weird blend. I've been trying to keep track of both of total units and a separate tally for whole blood units.

I haven't donated at Mass Gen before, but I've seen the MGH or Partners donation buses parked in front of downtown office buidlings. I guess out of habit I just end up at the Red Cross @ Tremont St... (Surprised I haven't run into you there yet.)
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:20 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I'd like to give, but we go to Four Seasons Punta Mita every year. Because the hotel is located in the Mexican state of Nayarit, and Nayarit is identified as having malaria present, I'm turned away. It's a shortcoming of the CDC map IMO, considering that Punta Mita is basically equivalent to Puerto Vallarta, which happens to be just across the border in what is deemed a "safe" state.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers...y_table/m.html
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:23 pm

I've only been doing platelets a few years and still give whole blood, so my "unit" count is a weird blend. I've been trying to keep track of both of total units and a separate tally for whole blood units.

I haven't donated at Mass Gen before, but I've seen the MGH or Partners donation buses parked in front of downtown office buidlings. I guess out of habit I just end up at the Red Cross @ Tremont St... (Surprised I haven't run into you there yet.)
MGH had a blood drive at my office a few weeks ago, and I donated whole blood with them. Talked to them about platelet donations, and apparently they do it such that you can still use one arm, which would be a bit more pleasant than the full immobilization.

If you happen to be donating this Thursday, we may cross paths!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Just returned from donating; working on my 5th gallon at this hospital. The worst part is removing the gauze and stretchy bandage after a few hours because that little bit of blood dries and makes the gauze stick to my arm, so no matter how careful I am peeling it off it re-opens the needle hole (technical medical term?) and bleeds again. Always feels good to donate, though.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by nnn
I'd like to give, but we go to Four Seasons Punta Mita every year. Because the hotel is located in the Mexican state of Nayarit, and Nayarit is identified as having malaria present, I'm turned away. It's a shortcoming of the CDC map IMO, considering that Punta Mita is basically equivalent to Puerto Vallarta, which happens to be just across the border in what is deemed a "safe" state.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers...y_table/m.html
Same issue - I am usually in a country every year or two (India most often) that precludes me.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:30 pm

Did my 57th platelet donation yesterday, which brings me to 20 in the past 12 months--just 4 under the limit; not sure where my plasma loss count is. I started donating platelets in February 2012, which means I'm averaging a donation every 3.5 weeks (minimum time is 1 week, subject to the 24 times/year). Glad my blood can be put to good use
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Pint #: 94
BP: 120/69
Pulse: 69
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
If you happen to be donating this Thursday, we may cross paths!
It took a while, but glad we finally crossed paths in December! ^

My next few weeks are pretty hectic, so may be second half of Feb before I make it back there.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:57 pm

Pint #: 95
BP: 125/76
Pulse: 72

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.